News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RPM frustration  (Read 2435 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
RPM frustration
« on: July 23, 2019, 08:21:29 AM »
Hi all, I have a Pheonix 45 esc, Hubin fm 2 timer (with pots) Power 32 motor. I set it up using Castle Link and Norms cook book. As far as I can tell I got everything right, number of poles 12,770kv, motor gearing, I tried both hi and low governor, I have the rpm set up, 9100, 9300, 9500, but at low the rpm is 8900 then it jumps to 11000 and hi is 15000, help! LOL
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:49:01 AM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
Re: RPM frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
Dwayne, several issues here. 
1) Are you sure that Power 32 has 12 poles and not 14?  Almost all motors that we use are 14 pole.  I don't have one, but if you can peek into the gap between a rotor and stator, and count the number of magnets on the rotor, that would be the number of poles.  Incorrect pole setting will affect the RPM, since the ESC will be confused...
2) With Phoenix ESCs and FM timers, I use Governor High RPM mode in the Castle Link software, and (until recently) the "Phoenix ICE/EDGE High RPM" mode in the FM-9 programmer.  I only used FM-9 timers, but assume the firmware on the FM-2 is similar.  Yes, expect the actual RPM to be a few hundred RPM off (lower) than programmed.  Hubin now has new chips for the programmer that have Phoenix and Talon modes, and the actual RPM will match the programmed settings within 30-50 RPM.  See my posting under the Getting All AMP'ed up section.

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
Dwayne, several issues here. 
1) Are you sure that Power 32 has 12 poles and not 14?  Almost all motors that we use are 14 pole.  I don't have one, but if you can peek into the gap between a rotor and stator, and count the number of magnets on the rotor, that would be the number of poles.  Incorrect pole setting will affect the RPM, since the ESC will be confused...
2) With Phoenix ESCs and FM timers, I use Governor High RPM mode in the Castle Link software, and (until recently) the "Phoenix ICE/EDGE High RPM" mode in the FM-9 programmer.  I only used FM-9 timers, but assume the firmware on the FM-2 is similar.  Yes, expect the actual RPM to be a few hundred RPM off (lower) than programmed.  Hubin now has new chips for the programmer that have Phoenix and Talon modes, and the actual RPM will match the programmed settings within 30-50 RPM.  See my posting under the Getting All AMP'ed up section.

Thank you,  you're right it is 14 I changed it and it didn't make any difference but it's all moot now as it doesn't work at all now, when I plug in the battery it chirps as normal but then does a steady beep, beep, beep....  :(

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:02:19 PM »
Regarding the chirp and beep, beep....Check the switch itself for function and the switch solder connection at the pcb.  Check for continuity across the pins with a multi-meter as you depress the switch.  I had a faulty connection on the timer pcb.    A quick solder reflow and I was ready to fly. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:05:03 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »
Thanks guys, I tested the timer on a rc plane and it worked perfectly so I'm thinking I buggered something when I reset the rpm levels as I also updated the firmware to 4.2, I haven't updated in 3 years, is it possible the update did something?

Another question, what would happen if you tried a regular esc without any C/L specific programming?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 03:14:21 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »
The FM-9 timer supports simple non-governed ESCs; select the Compensated Throttle mode. It won’t be as good as governed mode in maintaining rpm, but you can fly ok. Good enough for debugging purposes.

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »
Well, well, turned out to be the timer after all, I called Castle and they had me hook my esc up to a servo tester and the esc worked, tried a different timer and we are back in action.  y1 ~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here