News:

• April 17, 2024, 09:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 cell to a 5 cell battery.  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
4 cell to a 5 cell battery.
« on: February 11, 2022, 02:33:37 PM »
With an FM-0c timer switching from a 4 cell to a 5 cell battery (same mAh) the rpm goes way up and needs to be turned down. Will that happen with the FM-9 Timer. I've been using a 4 cell 3300 battery getting used to the FM-9 and I want to switch to the 5 cell 3300 battery.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
Re: 4 cell to a 5 cell battery.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 02:57:36 PM »
The answer is yes. Basically the timer outputs a servo position signal and the position is in essence a ratio demand of the supplying battery voltage at the ESC. Without changing also the motor the voltage output will need to be reduced from the new battery to the old battery voltage value, ie turn down the timer output. Think of it like this, the timer puts out a signal that goes from 0-100% of the Vin or for a 14.8V 4s battery 75% would be 11.1V and for a 18.5V 5s battery 75% would be 13.9V. So, without changing the motor to maintain the same speed the timer output has to be reset to 11.1V/18.5V = 59.5 %, "turned down to 59.5%". In other words the pot on the FM0c would have to be turned down from roughly 3/4 to just under 5/8 turn thereabouts.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 03:01:14 PM »
With an FM-0c timer switching from a 4 cell to a 5 cell battery (same mAh) the rpm goes way up and needs to be turned down. Will that happen with the FM-9 Timer. I've been using a 4 cell 3300 battery getting used to the FM-9 and I want to switch to the 5 cell 3300 battery.
It did not on mine.  I flew a 5 cell 2200 back to back with a 4 cell 2800 at a contest and did not notice any difference.  What I did learn was to bring more batteries to a contest.

Ken

I just read Mark's post so I need to add that my ESC autodetects the cell count and makes that adjustment.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 03:12:15 PM »
It did not on mine.  I flew a 5 cell 2200 back to back with a 4 cell 2800 at a contest and did not notice any difference.  What I did learn was to bring more batteries to a contest.

Ken

I just read Mark's post so I need to add that my ESC autodetects the cell count and makes that adjustment.

I mostly run the elcheapo ESC's and the FM0c. I find them both to be very adequate for most installations although I do run a Jetti Pro and Fiorroti in my PA models. My new timer project is being bench tested using the ZTC Beatless ESC. Provided the response of the timer and elcheapo work together, that is my future direction. Flight testing is going to begin in the near future.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 08:20:31 PM »
If you use the same ESC, yes.

The FM-9 is designed to be used with an ESC that has a speed governor in it ("helicopter mode").  With the governor, the ESC will hold the speed if you change from 3 to 4 cells.  Without the governor, you'll see the same thing as you did with your FM-3c.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 03:55:02 PM »
Tim is right again. I switched to a 5 cell battery and ran it briefly. The rpm stayed at the programmed in value. I'm happy. Learning has taken place.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here