Electric Stunt > ESC Settings

esc vs controller

(1/3) > >>

Gary_Barrow:
I fly combat and crashing is inevitable. With a timer when I crash does it turn off or does it ruin my esc or battery or timer?One guy just uses and rc receiver and the controller. Pros and cons.

CircuitFlyer:
The KR Governor timer is the only timer that has prop strike protection.  I can confirm first hand that it works very well.  Other systems may or may not protect the motor or ESC.  Some ESC’s have a max current limit but I’ve never crashed one of those so can’t say how well that works. A jammed prop can cause excessive current flow that can smoke the motor windings or the ESC.  High current is not likely to damage a battery but doesn’t do it any good either. Current flow won’t bother the timer at all.

Using an RC trans/receiver can be beneficial for beginners/trainers as well as scale models. Otherwise it can be a bit awkward to use and most folks end up with a timer because its just less hassle and more consistent.

Dennis Toth:
I have wondered this same thing. I had my Stuka stunt ship nose over in high, wet grass and was using the ESC current setting at normal, it tried to flip the ship over before cutting out and smoking the motor. After looking at the setting there are two current setting in the Castle Creation ESP, one on current limit and the second current cutoff type. The Current limit can be set to sensitive but that won't do it (that's were I had mine at) you have to set the Current Cutoff Type to Hard Cutoff. The cutoff type is important, if you leave it as Soft it takes a longer time to shut down the motor and can smoke in a prop stop crash. I have not tried any of the timer cutoffs but even with them I would set the ESP to sensitive and hard cutoff.

Best,    DennisT

Douglas Bykoff:

--- Quote from: Gary_Barrow on June 28, 2021, 01:12:06 PM ---I fly combat and crashing is inevitable. With a timer when I crash does it turn off or does it ruin my esc or battery or timer?One guy just uses and rc receiver and the controller. Pros and cons.

--- End quote ---

My latest project.

Dennis Toth:
Doug,
I am 100% with you on the remote clicker shut-off. We might need a rule change to allow these high frequency/short range units to be used in competition as they have only 2.4Hertz being allowed in CL. I think not only will we save equipment and time but it is an additional safety measure in case a flier becomes ill during the flight. We saw this first hand at a stunt contest when a very experienced pilot had a heart attack, luckily people around the circle saw what was happening and went in and took the handle and got him lying down till MPs got there. I know you can just crash the plane but we won't just do that. If he had a way to shut it off when he first felt something was wrong he could have saved several minutes and called for help sooner.

Best,    DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version