Electric Stunt > ESC Settings

esc vs controller

<< < (2/3) > >>

Douglas Bykoff:
I didn't do it with the competition in mind, but because I saw several friends losing their equipment in accidents.

It started out as an RF remote button for commercial timers. Then evolved to replace the passive timer.

Now I can freely turn on and off and +/- buttons to adjust rpm.

This is The last version and have 2 channels, 2 speeds and Panic mode for safer shutdown.

Douglas

Teodorico Terry:
Gary,

I accidentally discovered that the Castle ESC will shutoff after a prop strike if set-up correctly.  In my case, the model nosed over enough for the prop to strike the grass which ended up shutting it off without the usual on and off that follows an overload.  The programing for the ESC is fairly simple, you just need to set the current limiting to "sensitive" and "hard cutoff".  The only way for the motor to restart would be for the throttle signal from the timer to go back to "off" and then back "on".  Since the timer continued to send a throttle signal the ESC will not spin the prop which gave me enough time to disconnect the battery and start over.  I am not sure that in a hard crash that an electric motor would survive, the battery or ESC.  Given the G's involved everything will shift around.

Good luck,

Teo

Dennis Toth:
Doug,
Very cool!! Can you please share your setup and DIY on how to build and connect your system.

Thanks,          DennisT

Jess Gresham:
I've been using standard R/C transmitters for training and test flights, but this looks like an improvement!
What would they cost? Tx looks simple, will they be available over time?
Jess

Douglas Bykoff:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on November 08, 2022, 07:30:22 AM ---Doug,
Very cool!! Can you please share your setup and DIY on how to build and connect your system.

Thanks,          DennisT

--- End quote ---

Sorry for the long delay in responding. because of the political situation in my country I stopped accessing Stunthangar for a while. Sorry afain.

My device is a PIC controller coupled to a chinese 433mhz receiver. The PIC generates the signal to the ESC. A programming card with just 2 buttons + and - makes programming the rotation speed of the motor. The configuration is stored in the PIC's non-volatile memory.

The pilot's hand control has 2 buttons. Button A toggles between V1 speed and off. Button B can turn the motor on to V1 speed and then switch between V1 and V2 speed.

At any operating speed, pressing button A stops the motor.

If you press and hold button A for 5 seconds the engine will stop immediately and will not restart unless you turn off and reconnect the battery.

The device has a 6-pin contact bar where 3 pins connect to the ESC and the other 3 to the programming card. The receiver and transmitter are synchronized using a button on the receiver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version