Electric Stunt > ESC Settings

ESC's for Control Line?

(1/3) > >>

Dennis Toth:
Guys,
Besides Castle Creations what other brands are suitable for control line stunt? The features I think are needed are it should be light weight, have end of flight brake, ability to have fixed rpm setting, ability to utilize the various timers we use. I think Castle is a great brand and has supported CL. They have some simple ESC's - the Talon series that have all these items and they have some very sophisticated units that are a little heavy and expensive. So are there any other brands that we should look at?

Best,    DennisT

Dennis Toth:
Ok, 75 people looked at this post and no one has any input on ESC brands for CL?

Best,   DennisT

Dave Rigotti:
OK..
I have used a generic eBay 40A ESC with an open source timer.  No brake function.  Under $20 TOTAL.  Works great!
Other than this I use a CC Talon 35A and Hubin timer.

CircuitFlyer:
Mu goto is just about any lower cost ESC (most have a brake setting) and a KR Timer. The timer has the additional benefit of prop strike protection.

Paul

Shorts,David:
I use castle escs, eflite 50s. I use the slightly more expensive esc with the cheapest timer by Hubin (which has the easiest programming when used with the also slightly expensive programmer. $75 or thereabout.
I also have used many $10-20 chinese escs. The chinese esc loses performance unless you use it with the KR (more expensive) timer.
I also have used chinese escs (cheapest) with hubin timers (cheapest) and have done patterns with no problem, except they don't slow down when the load is removed and don't noticeably add power when pointed vertical. So, rather than choosing an RPM and staying there, you choose a percentage, like 80%.
But, when you're going vertical it gives 80% rather than giving some boost like when the glow motor goes into a 2 cycle, or when the KR or Castle compensates with extra power to keep the same rpm.
Also, when you use that worn out battery, you get 80% of a lesser voltage, as opposed to your brand new battery which is giving 80% of a higher voltage.
I've done a hundred flights that way, but when I switched to either a castle with hubin, or added the KR, I had an "aha" moment.

So far, and I've never used Jettis or Igor timers, I like the Castle with the hubin. Hubins are barely $10 bucks, so if you do several electrics, the programming thing works out being cheaper than going with KRs. But if you're doing just one electric, the KR saves money since you don't need a programming box and you can use much cheaper escs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version