News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plugged in wrong battery and flew?  (Read 314 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Plugged in wrong battery and flew?
« on: January 20, 2024, 07:40:22 AM »
Guys,
I got a chance to fly the other day after a couple of months of inactivity through the holidays. In November I had been working with different packs from HobbyStar to try to get the lowest weight and most full OTS flight time on my Ringmaster and Barnstormer. HobbyStar has some packs that are short (70ish mm) and fat that fit very nicely in the nose of the Ringmaster without the need to cut into the wing. I had been working with 5cell packs but saw a new 4S 1800mah pack also 70ish mm. Most of the guys flying electric Ringmasters were using 1800mah packs so this was worth a try. It work fine with the motor/prop setup I am using. Fast forward to last Thursday and the weather is cloudy but low wind and the field is open. I decide to go fly and grab the Ringmaster and what I thought was the new pack that was charged at 95%. I planned on doing only a short 2 1/2 minute warmup flight so this pack was OK. Went to the field , flew the flight and all seemed normal, maybe a little slow on the launch but did my little plan pattern and landed. When I went to remove the pack I noticed it was one of the 5S 1600 mah packs that I was using in my Barnstomer.

Since all seemed well with the flight, I am wondering if as long as the actual voltage of the pack is higher than the voltage set in the ESC does it just adjust the firing timing to hold the fixed set rpm?

Best,    DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Plugged in wrong battery and flew?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 07:59:15 AM »
Since all seemed well with the flight, I am wondering if as long as the actual voltage of the pack is higher than the voltage set in the ESC does it just adjust the firing timing to hold the fixed set rpm?

Best,    DennisT
I use the Jetti Spin ESCs and they have an "auto detect" setting for the battery "s" rating.  I switch between 5 & 6 without any issues other usage.  I used Castle before on profiles and had no problems going from 4 to 5 and back.  Aside from usage, I did notice a larger difference in boost but that could have been from it being fixed rpm vs active.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here