News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:36:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC's for Control Line?  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC's for Control Line?
« on: February 08, 2021, 04:38:52 PM »
Guys,
Besides Castle Creations what other brands are suitable for control line stunt? The features I think are needed are it should be light weight, have end of flight brake, ability to have fixed rpm setting, ability to utilize the various timers we use. I think Castle is a great brand and has supported CL. They have some simple ESC's - the Talon series that have all these items and they have some very sophisticated units that are a little heavy and expensive. So are there any other brands that we should look at?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ESC's for Control Line?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
Ok, 75 people looked at this post and no one has any input on ESC brands for CL?

Best,   DennisT

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
OK..
I have used a generic eBay 40A ESC with an open source timer.  No brake function.  Under $20 TOTAL.  Works great!
Other than this I use a CC Talon 35A and Hubin timer.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 01:12:35 PM »
Mu goto is just about any lower cost ESC (most have a brake setting) and a KR Timer. The timer has the additional benefit of prop strike protection.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
I use castle escs, eflite 50s. I use the slightly more expensive esc with the cheapest timer by Hubin (which has the easiest programming when used with the also slightly expensive programmer. $75 or thereabout.
I also have used many $10-20 chinese escs. The chinese esc loses performance unless you use it with the KR (more expensive) timer.
I also have used chinese escs (cheapest) with hubin timers (cheapest) and have done patterns with no problem, except they don't slow down when the load is removed and don't noticeably add power when pointed vertical. So, rather than choosing an RPM and staying there, you choose a percentage, like 80%.
But, when you're going vertical it gives 80% rather than giving some boost like when the glow motor goes into a 2 cycle, or when the KR or Castle compensates with extra power to keep the same rpm.
Also, when you use that worn out battery, you get 80% of a lesser voltage, as opposed to your brand new battery which is giving 80% of a higher voltage.
I've done a hundred flights that way, but when I switched to either a castle with hubin, or added the KR, I had an "aha" moment.

So far, and I've never used Jettis or Igor timers, I like the Castle with the hubin. Hubins are barely $10 bucks, so if you do several electrics, the programming thing works out being cheaper than going with KRs. But if you're doing just one electric, the KR saves money since you don't need a programming box and you can use much cheaper escs.

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »
Has anyone tried a YEP brand of ESC’s from Hobby King?  Low cost ESC with a governor mode.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-40a-2-6s-sbec-brushless-speed-controller.html.

Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »
Guess it depends on the timer your using too. For the past few years I’ve used KR timer which has the governor built into the timer thus enabling the use of a cheap ESC. Turnigy Trust was my go to for a long time until they were no longer available. I recently tried a YEP and couldn’t get the brake to work no matter what I tried. Latest one was a “Hornet” branded esc and it worked really well.

My #1 model now had an Igor active timer and I’m using a Jeti Spin 66 pro. I’ve only put 12 flights on it thus far but it seems really good.
NZL7396

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
Has anyone tried a YEP brand of ESC’s from Hobby King?  Low cost ESC with a governor mode.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-40a-2-6s-sbec-brushless-speed-controller.html.

I use YEP with good results.

There are several esc produced by the same manufacturers with different names, YPG, ICE and YEP.

There are several settings, freweel, governor, governor Store and you can also regulate governor strength through P-gain and I-gain individually. P is Proportional gain and I integral gain, common parameters in PID closed loop controllers.

Increasing the P-gain can create an effect similar to the 4-2-4 in stunt models, increasing the RPM beyond the point but ups and reducing below the point but descents, taking care not to induce oscillation in level flight.

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 12:01:38 PM »
duplicate, sorry.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:53:28 AM by Douglas Bykoff »

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 10:36:09 PM »
It would be interesting to know if the Hubin FM9 timer could utilize the YEP ESC's governor in the same manner as the Castle Hi-Gov mode.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 06:13:13 PM »
The best person to ask about the FM9 would be Will Hubin. I have found him to be very generous with his time and advice, including basically building a special timer for me for twin engine use.

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 07:33:32 PM »
I use castle escs, eflite 50s. I use the slightly more expensive esc with the cheapest timer by Hubin (which has the easiest programming when used with the also slightly expensive programmer. $75 or thereabout.
I also have used many $10-20 chinese escs. The chinese esc loses performance unless you use it with the KR (more expensive) timer.
I also have used chinese escs (cheapest) with hubin timers (cheapest) and have done patterns with no problem, except they don't slow down when the load is removed and don't noticeably add power when pointed vertical. So, rather than choosing an RPM and staying there, you choose a percentage, like 80%.
But, when you're going vertical it gives 80% rather than giving some boost like when the glow motor goes into a 2 cycle, or when the KR or Castle compensates with extra power to keep the same rpm.
Also, when you use that worn out battery, you get 80% of a lesser voltage, as opposed to your brand new battery which is giving 80% of a higher voltage.
I've done a hundred flights that way, but when I switched to either a castle with hubin, or added the KR, I had an "aha" moment.

So far, and I've never used Jettis or Igor timers, I like the Castle with the hubin. Hubins are barely $10 bucks, so if you do several electrics, the programming thing works out being cheaper than going with KRs. But if you're doing just one electric, the KR saves money since you don't need a programming box and you can use much cheaper escs.

I recently bought some 40A ICE ESCs.

They are very cheap, the 40A only 18 dollars + shipping.

They have everything you could want for a really low price.Governor, FreeWelling, governor store, governor high, P-gain, I-gain, timing, Brake, etc.

The only negative point that needs attention is the BEC that inexplicably works at 5.5v, at the limit of the timers I already had a burnt timer and to avoid it I put a silicon diode in series on a 4' servo extension to cut that voltage a little.

The programming card is also very cheap. Less than 7 dollars.

Top flyers have more expensive and reliable options, but for a sport flight you'll get a full ESC for a fraction of the cost of a Jetti or Castle.

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 02:46:39 PM »
I use badass esc’s, 65 amp rebel
Duck

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 04:33:23 PM »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 08:50:24 AM »
Question - Do the BadAss, ICE or YEP brand ESC's have the active control line brake? I know the Castle ESC's do.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here