News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castle Edge lite 75 A timing, gain and PWR setting  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Peter Germann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Castle Edge lite 75 A timing, gain and PWR setting
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:46:45 AM »
  • AXI 2826/12
    2600 5S
    APC 13 x 5.5 EP
    Medium (25) Gain
    PWR set to Outrunner
    Low (0) timing
    10'095 RPM set
    9'870 RPM in flight logged

I am experiencing screeching sound when flying tight corners.

Thank you for suggestions on what to do

rgds. Peter Germann
Peter Germann

Offline Christoph Holtermann

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: Castle Edge lite 75 A timing, gain and PWR setting
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:05:05 AM »
Hallo Peter,

you have placed this thread under "ESC Settings" but can you exclude that this screeching is a mechanical noise? Spinner touching front ring, motor bell touching motor compartment, bearings still ok?

Bad thing with electric is that everything runs so silent that you can literally hear "fleas coughing", sorry, bad translation of a german saying ...

Good luck with solving the problem and sorry for not having a better scientific advise, I don't fly the Castle Controller.

Christoph

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »
Thank you, Christoph,

I forgot to mention this:
When running the motor at flight RPM without prop and flipping the airplane very quick up 90° there is no screeching.
Doing the same with my std. APC 13 x 5.5 EP prop produces the screeching effect.

As whenever the screeching occurs current goes up significantly, I suspect that gyro force in a hard turn exites bell to temporarily resonate, making the motor momentarily loosing commulation.  From this, I wonder whether settings for timing, gain and/or PWW rate could be of influence on the suspected loss of commulation.

I can exclude spinner touching front ring and bell colliding with inside of fuse nose. And bearings, as the motor is new.

Peter

ps. from the loudness of this particular noise, we must have pretty big fleas down here
Peter Germann

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
 Screeching is the PWM setting. It's been noted in RC plane use, AXI motors prefer higher PWM settings. You'll just have to try the different settings and see if that fixes it. 
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Vitalis Pilkionis

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
I wonder why such a low timing? Recommended timing for axi 2826 is 20-25 deg. I use 15 deg on mine as per Igor's advice.

Vitalis

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »
Problem perfectly well solved when having a second look at the nose ring and detecting friction marks from the spinner backplate. (thank you, Christoph)
Widening the gap from 0.3 mm to 0.5 mm. made me a happy and very silent flyer today. Regardless of settings for timing, Gain and/or PWM.
Thank you for advices, dear friends.
Peter Germann

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
Is this motor rear or front mounted? Longer bell motors have a lot of flex when rear mounted. Frequently enough that the bell can deflect letting the magnets hit the stator. I ruined a couple smaller outrunners because of this. It may also screech when this happens.

Matt

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 04:01:19 AM »
The motor is front mounted, Matt.

I should add that after adding a layer of carbon fibre weave to the inner side of the 1/8 light balsa fuse nose and after strengthening the 1/4 12-ply motor mount by reducing the dia of its cooling holes there was still a (liitle) bit of screeching in tight outside corners. Installing a  1/8 x 1 light ply connecting the side walls right behind the motor has now finally minimized the problem to almost zero.

rgds.
Peter Germann

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »
Interesting, I had a screech on spool up with my Ice Lite 75, Eflite 32 and Hubin timer.  It didn't seem to matter which prop and the spinner clearance was fine.  I changed bearings and even installed a new motor, still the screech.  After switching to Igor's active system the noise went away.  It remained a mystery and I have moved on.
Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here