News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Badass esc brake setting  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Rob Duckering

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Badass esc brake setting
« on: April 16, 2021, 12:54:19 PM »
Hi all, hoping someone here knows how to stop the prop from spinning at shutdown. I have a badass esc and the program card and when setting at hard brake, #4 is the hard brake, the motor still spins during landind, motor actually seems to have some power. Once airplane has landed, it stops. I need the motor and prop to stop while gliding for the landing. Anyone with experience on how to get more brake?

Thanks
Duck

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
Re: Badass esc brake setting
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »
I should add, I’m using a KR timer and it shuts down, does this in 2 different airplanes, the kr timer works like normal but the prop is freewheeling
Duck

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 07:08:14 PM »
I should add, I’m using a KR timer and it shuts down, does this in 2 different airplanes, the kr timer works like normal but the prop is freewheeling
. Rob I just set my castle 50 to hard stop, and my Badass just stop instantly, I’m not sure if the timer can do it😎
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
. Rob I just set my castle 50 to hard stop, and my Badass just stop instantly, I’m not sure if the timer can do it😎

Set the esc to hard brake (stop?) and timer too, one plane, Gypsy now works, have to try the other, might have been another setting I missed. thanks
Duck

Offline Grahame Goodson

• GG
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 04:09:17 PM »
Try this:
CONTACT INFO
300 Detroit Ave, Suite B, Monroe, MI 48162, United States
442-515-0745
customerservice@innov8tivedesigns.com
Lucien is most helpful and a great guy!
🇦🇺 🦅

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 11:16:55 PM »
I already had the same problem with other esc. you need to adjust the throtle range using a radio control. set the throttle trim on Tx all the way up and adjust the throttle range.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 07:10:13 AM »
Hi all, hoping someone here knows how to stop the prop from spinning at shutdown. I have a badass esc and the program card and when setting at hard brake, #4 is the hard brake, the motor still spins during landind, motor actually seems to have some power. Once airplane has landed, it stops. I need the motor and prop to stop while gliding for the landing. Anyone with experience on how to get more brake?

Thanks

The Badass ESC is made by ZTW and is the Mantis version. Almost all of the ESCs I use are ZTW and the brake feature works. It sound to me like the setting isn't taking correctly when you are programming it. When you are programming you have to push the OK button to get the parameter to set.  I don't use the hard brake on the models I have using the Mantis but the Beatless bring the prop to a complete stop.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 09:16:58 AM »
I did some testing on the Mantis which is the same as the BadAss. One thing we have noticed in operation of the Mantis' is that if you aren't careful with programming the settings will revert. The process is like this, connect the programming box before booting the ESC (applying power). Navigate to the setting, push the value button to the value you want, push ok and listen for the beep from the motor. I then usually cycle through the menu and back to confirm the setting has taken, sometimes it doesn't. Then you need to reboot the ESC by removing power and connecting again this time with the timer in place. The ESC is sensitive to the minimum signal and will reset the brake function if the incoming signal is too low, under 750 microseconds which is below the normal receiver minimum output. So, if you inadvertently apply power tot he ESC without the timer connected, the ESC will likely reset. I didn't test how strong the brake is because I was running without a prop but it seems pretty wimpy. The ESC I am testing is the 12A version which may be different than your in terms of braking effect. Like I posted earlier, I generally don't use the brake. The only time I'd use the brake is for PA competition which requires the prop to be stopped for the glide to landing. A rule which, IMO, should be reconsidered in the face of the electric motor invasion however, I'm not going to champion any rules changes for PA.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 07:30:50 PM »
I have the exact problem. I’m going to double check my settings.
Stay tuned!😎
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here