News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Variable Pitch  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Variable Pitch
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
Last winter I built a variable pitch system using a motor that was designed for quadcopters. No shaft, so a push rod of 2 mm could be used, together with a standard servo.
The rotation speed during flight is given by the governor mode of the controller. The pitch is adjusted using acceleration sensors in the timer, trying to keep the line tension the same during all flight attitudes.
The timer has to produce two pulses, one for the controller and one for the servo. Luckily I could modify my timer to do this.
Some picture are attached. Gimmick: After the motor stops, the blades go in vane position (almost) for 10 seconds….
Any questions or comments?

Regards,
Wolfgang 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Variable Pitch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
Last winter I built a variable pitch system using a motor that was designed for quadcopters. No shaft, so a push rod of 2 mm could be used, together with a standard servo.
The rotation speed during flight is given by the governor mode of the controller. The pitch is adjusted using acceleration sensors in the timer, trying to keep the line tension the same during all flight attitudes.
The timer has to produce two pulses, one for the controller and one for the servo. Luckily I could modify my timer to do this.
Some picture are attached. Gimmick: After the motor stops, the blades go in vane position (almost) for 10 seconds….
Any questions or comments?

Regards,
Wolfgang 

Wolfgang,

First, nice work and effort!  H^^

Even though I have absolutely no idea what that is all about.

Comments or questions? You asked so here goes.

Variable pitch system.

Advantages instead of just having throttle? Would throttle give you what you are looking for?

What are you looking for or what is the gain?

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
Wolfgang:

Cool.  I'm not sure if the Igor system does more magic than just monitoring the accelerometer, but if it does you may want to figure out how to hack things to use it's signal (I could easily do this with a TUT).

In theory you should get faster response, but you probably want to juice up the frame rate and use a digital servo (the TUT sort of naturally uses a 120Hz frame rate, but that drives most analog servos wild -- digital servos and, to my knowledge, ESCs work fine with it).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »
Charles,

The aim is to have fast variation of the thrust, in sharp corners. Throttle adjustments are slow, because of the inertia of the propeller.
Pitch variation is quick, because servos are fast, and the inertia is helpful to keep the revs constant (the constant sound pleases the judges…).

Tim,

How Igor uses the acceleration sensor signal I do not know. I use it simply to keep the line pull constant.

The response is much faster. As you mentioned, the frame rate should be as high as possible, I use 125 Hz. Futaba analog servos work fine at this rate. If you are interested, I could post a Castle data log.

All the best,

Wolfgang

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 02:15:49 PM »
Wolfgang: yes, please post the log, I'm interested in seeing how the motor is loaded.

Thanks for the interesting tidbit about Futaba servos and frame rate.  The old traditional servo amplifier has a thing in it called a "pulse stretcher"; if you set it up for a fast frame rate then it would be sluggish with a slow one, if you set it up for a slow frame rate then it would go nuts with a fast one (basically the incoming pulses would overrun the pulses from the stretcher, and Bad Things would ensue).  I don't know if Futaba is just setting their servos up for a fast frame rate, or if they have a more intelligent sort of analog servo amplifier.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:55:29 AM »
Tim,

this data log is from the last two flights. Propeller: 12,5 x 6 Aeronaut. 2400 mAh.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here