Design > Engineering board

Self-Centering Ciphering

<< < (3/3)

Steve Helmick:
On the bent bellcrank, it appears that Howard is showing (attachment #3) it being backwards to the way Mr. Pratt says to use it. I haven't used a bent bellcrank yet, but would likely follow Mikey Pratt's directions.

What I do know is that there's absolutely no reason to have 45 degree up and down travel, because you just can't get past about 15-20 degrees during any of the hard corners in the pattern. The only (fairly good) reasons I can see is that IF you have a line break, the model will POSSIBLY go to full control lock and slow way down before it eventually hits the ground.  D>K Steve

Dave_Trible:

--- Quote from: Steve Helmick on July 01, 2023, 05:44:21 PM ---On the bent bellcrank, it appears that Howard is showing (attachment #3) it being backwards to the way Mr. Pratt says to use it. I haven't used a bent bellcrank yet, but would likely follow Mikey Pratt's directions.

What I do know is that there's absolutely no reason to have 45 degree up and down travel, because you just can't get past about 15-20 degrees during any of the hard corners in the pattern. The only (fairly good) reasons I can see is that IF you have a line break, the model will POSSIBLY go to full control lock and slow way down before it eventually hits the ground.  D>K Steve

--- End quote ---
Steve I believe you are totally correct about not actually using more than maybe 15-20 degrees in most cases.  Decades ago Big Art did such an experiment attaching a pencil and paper (basically) to the elevator of one of their ships,  then go flying ONE square loop and land.  The measure was 12 degrees.  Obviously your mileage will vary.  However what you never want are controls that ever bottom out in even the worst situation like a panic bottom in a strong wind gust.  When that happens one line goes slack and the airplane yaws badly to react to the new leadout location.  Ask me how I know.....

Dave

Though I never have,  makes me think seriously about trying to have both leadouts exit one hole or perhaps one OVER the other instead of in line horizontally.

Steve Helmick:
"Though I never have,  makes me think seriously about trying to have both leadouts exit one hole or perhaps one OVER the other instead of in line horizontally."

Well, we know that Bob Palmer had his leadouts located one over the other on his last few designs, I think starting with the T-Bird II in '59/'60. This could make it a bit messy to make the leadouts adjustable fore & aft, but Paul Walker managed to have the leadouts on his "PW-51" (as I like to call it) adjustable both horizontally and vertically. However he did it might be a good start.  D>K Steve

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Dave_Trible on July 02, 2023, 09:55:07 AM ---Steve I believe you are totally correct about not actually using more than maybe 15-20 degrees in most cases.  Decades ago Big Art did such an experiment attaching a pencil and paper (basically) to the elevator of one of their ships,  then go flying ONE square loop and land.  The measure was 12 degrees.  Obviously your mileage will vary.  However what you never want are controls that ever bottom out in even the worst situation like a panic bottom in a strong wind gust.  When that happens one line goes slack and the airplane yaws badly to react to the new leadout location.  Ask me how I know.....

Dave

Though I never have,  makes me think seriously about trying to have both leadouts exit one hole or perhaps one OVER the other instead of in line horizontally.

--- End quote ---

THAT WOULD MAKE AN INTERESTING LOOKING ADJUSTABLE LEADOUT...PALMER DID OVER AND UNDER  ON THE TBIRD BUT IT DIDNT CATCH ON VERY GOOD...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version