Design > Engineering board

One for the Boffins , Professor Newton e.t.c. .

(1/3) > >>

Air Ministry .:
ACCORDING to wiki & suchlike ( so dont blame me !  ;D ) the mumbo jumbo jet carrys 36.000 gallons ( U S ) of fuel , and produces 2 1/2 Tons Thrust at Cruise .

Now according to Mr Newton , all that ENERGY goes somewhere . Obviously not in our lounge room . so What Happens to IT . What is the result . Say for One minute ?
like a horsepower ( Lifts things for a minute  ' Y ' foot  = ' X '  old nag power .

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Air Ministry . on October 03, 2022, 07:56:07 PM ---ACCORDING to wiki & suchlike ( so dont blame me !  ;D ) the mumbo jumbo jet carrys 36.000 gallons ( U S ) of fuel , and produces 2 1/2 Tons Thrust at Cruise .

Now according to Mr Newton , all that ENERGY goes somewhere . Obviously not in our lounge room . so What Happens to IT . What is the result . Say for One minute ?
like a horsepower ( Lifts things for a minute  ' Y ' foot  = ' X '  old nag power .

--- End quote ---

The power is the thrust x the speed. Assume some speed, (say, 700 feet/second) and 5000 lbs of thrust, that's about 3.5 million ft-lb/sec, or 6300 HP. It goes into heating up the air, both from the drag churning it up and pulling it along with the airplane, and the heat of the exhaust.

Brett

Dave Hull:
I don't have an estimate, but you are also spending a small fraction of that chemical energy to drag an acoustic wave along with you. It doesn't seem like much if you are on the ground and the airliner goes overtop at 35,000 feet, but with that geometry, the energy has spread out over a huge area. Much more impressive is to stand off the end of the runway when something big goes just over the top of you. And you really don't want to stand there if a military jet--particularly with an old, non-bypass engine--goes by.

Air Ministry .:

--- Quote --- And you really don't want to stand there if a military jet--particularly with an old, non-bypass engine--goes by.
--- End quote ---

Why would that be ?

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Air Ministry . on October 05, 2022, 08:32:12 PM ---Why would that be ?

--- End quote ---
That is an Aardvark with a bad case of indigestion.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version