Design > Engineering board

How may I drop voltage from 14.4 to 12 volts?

<< < (4/4)

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: frank mccune on March 10, 2020, 08:21:22 AM ---          Hello All:

Thanks for all of the help!

The reason that I found that the higher voltage was a bad idea was that the starter became a wild beast.  It would throw the starter cone off to parts unknown and shake the plane to a point where the structural integrity was threatened.  I replaced the battery with one that is 11.1 volts and all is well.

Any way that I may use the higher voltage starter without all of the jumping and bucking?  I am thinking about using the higher powered starter to turn my .40 Diesel. 

Comments or suggestions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

--- End quote ---

I'm running two six cell R/C car batteries on my starter and that comes to  more than 14 volts and don't have that problem. Make sure you use a proper fitting cone that is the correct size for your spinner. Make sure you so not over choke or flood your engine before applying the starter either. Usually the results you describe are the result of not having the starter square and aligned with the spinner/engine centerline.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

frank mccune:
     Hi All:

Thanks for all of the replies.  All is well with my power supplies.

Stay well,

Frank

Steve Helmick:
Using an "Electric Finger" on a high compression diesel isn't a good idea. But my 12v Sullivan starter works great using an adapter and the 18v. battery packs from my Makita drill. IMO, the problem isn't the voltage, but the application. Also, if you try to use an EF without a decently sized spinner, the results will be mediocre at best. A needle nose spinner gives the best centering and torque transfer, but may require a different cone for the starter. Sullivan offers a surprising variety, but not commonly available.

I have posted pictures and the contact information for the Makita battery adapter some years ago. They might show up with a search.  D>K Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version