News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Expo handle blues  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Expo handle blues
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
Has anyone really tried to analyze the function of my exponential handles? Most of the users seem to be well pleased with the effect.

I don’t fly anything else, myself! (Actually crashed the last plane I flew with a conventional handle because of slow response in a maneuver.)

I have a hard time getting expert flyers to even try it. One flight, my airplane, how hard is this to do?

Some users have reported that it is like “power steering”. Smooth at neutral and plenty of kick when you need it. Also, the latest version has essentially no “overhang” so the control forces are at a minimum.

Jim Hoffman took Ringmaster at VSC 30 with one.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Expo handle blues
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »
I have a hard time getting expert flyers to even try it. One flight, my airplane, how hard is this to do?

OK, since you asked...

You know how hard it is to fly someone's pride and joy, or evaluate their pet project? The possible outcomes are:

It's a breakthrough - possible but vanishingly small probability, requires years of competition at the highest level to tell. We left the era of breakthroughs in 1950 and the last quantum leap came *30 years ago*
    Flies better - possible but unlikely and not something you can evaluate in one flight, or even a hundred flights
    Appears promising -  can't tell anything on one flight, and can't tell whether it's the change or something else unrelated to changes
    Flies OK - nothing gained
    Flies poorly or needs changes - you get to tell someone their pet project should be abandoned, or the idea is wrong
    You crash - Big Shot Expert crashes your airplane, guess they aren't such big shot experts after all. Everybody (the hot shot most of all) ends up feeling terrible and the airplane ends up crashed.

So you decide to do it, at a contest or flying session. A bunch of people gather around to watch (or you announce it over the internet), then there's no avoiding the aftermath. The best thing you can say after one flight is that you need to fly it in a bunch of different conditions (which you aren't going to do unless you do it yourself).

It's a no-win situation.

In this case, it's particularly true. There have been many exponential systems before, and many systems with non-linearities before. Your systems goal is intended to create a response that we have been trying to design out aerodynamically for decades. Because you are making a public issue of it, you clearly have the idea that this is a breakthrough, and now even calling people out about it on the internet.

I can only give you my perspective. Despite what it might seem like, me, and people like me, *don't particularly like* getting into these no-win situations and unresolvable internet arguments. This one is very likely to degenerate, whether you wanted it to or not, into another "oh, look at those elitists not caring about beginner problems" situations. I know because that's how the ExpoCrank discussion has gone, and how every single "Fox 35 VS reality" engine evaluation has gone - as recently as last week. Quickly the cheering sections form, the idiots who join in just to argue join in (again, which has happened in the last 24 hours), and now, I am off defending myself - again - for having given an honest evaluation.

OK - You know I have the greatest admiration for your innovations over the years, You absolutely, positively, have contributed true and undeniable breakthroughs to modeling (Front-engine boost glider and Pop-pod boost glider) that immediately changed the game forever.     

Given a reasonable chance, I will do it, and give any evaluation for you and tell everyone else, too, for the general good. I note that you haven't even asked me.

Ask yourself (and this is a real question)- do you want a real, honest evaluation?  Are you really willing to accept a potentially negative evaluation, or will you immediately start debating it and saying it is wrong if I (or someone else) tells you it's not that great?  Or am I going to be getting grief over "trashing" the thing and you (like I have with the Expocrank) if it turns out not the way you want? Am I going to get "Well, Jim Hoffman said it was great, so what do you know?"

In short, are you already setting up a no-win situation?

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »
Has anyone really tried to analyze the function of my exponential handles?

I did. I think I posted it here somewhere. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
Send one to Igor and ask him for a personal message reply if he has time to test it.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here