Design > Engineering board

Choosing a new digital or dial caliper

<< < (2/6) > >>

RknRusty:
Pat, thanks for the reply. $200 is more clams that I can bake, though I'd love to have one. I'll keep looking. I'm not averse to a pair of dials, one metric and one inch, unless I find one that's easy to read with both units on the same dial.
I'll let y'all know what I finally choose.

Chris, we do have an HF in town. They sell Pittsburgh brand among others. That must be made in Pittsburgh, China Lol, not your Pittsburgh.
I just want to make sure it works better than that piece of slag I bought at Aldi.
Say hi to B. for me.
Rusty

Chris Fretz:
How about Fowler dials. They are not the bottom of the barrel and they are not the $100+ kind.

Chris

Dave_Trible:
I got these a few years ago at Home Depot for something less than $40.00.  Have so far been great.  Haven't tried a four foot drop test tho.

Dave

RknRusty:
That looks about right, Dave. I think I'll pay Home Depot a visit. After tomorrow, my spring contest season is finished, so I need to get back to projeckin', and I'll be needing them.
Rusty

Fredvon4:
Hey Rusty...sorry late to post this

I have many, real good, big buck measuring tools (Mitutoyo, Starrett,) but for my hobby use-- I find the Lowe's 3" General Ultratech 1433 is my go to plastic POS for every thing...

Mostly cuz it is close enough, and can do MM, Inch, as in 0.0000 , and Inch fractions, like 1/8th with simple push of button

and it is cheap enough I have three of them all over the shop.... balsa area, drill press area, engine area...silver and never seem to get lost in the clutter

Best thing IMO--- is you could deliberately get pissed..huck it across the room, find it under a bench, and it will still tell you the balsa sheet is 1/16th and not 1/64ths

And if it did break, you are only out $18+/-

BUT the real reason I have this cheap tool...is the ability to do all three conversions for me instantly with button push...most other BETTER tools only give you Inch or MM and very few Inch fractions

I would never use this plastic tool for precise engine work or mill / lathe, metal working....but for Balsa and ply model airplanes it is a real neat bit of kit that does not need SWMBO approval to buy

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools-Instruments-Caliper/3138565?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SpecialtyHandTools-_-3138565:General_Tools_&_Instruments&CAWELAID=&kpid=3138565&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=209&k_clickID=57efc3e0-23bc-441b-88d1-6342a108b35c&gclid=CJqI6rjNhtQCFYMCaQodRjoB8Q

The description sez 6"..... false---- it is a 3" caliper ----and can be found as low as $12 on line but around $15 is average.....find free shipping if you can....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version