Design > Engineering board

Centrifugal Force Calculator

(1/5) > >>

CircuitFlyer:
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/newtonian/centrifugal. Just came across this.  Thought it may be useful to folks with a curious mind.  It has a variety of units to use. Plug in the radius (ft or m), the angular speed, lap time, (seconds per rev) and mass (oz, lbs or kg).  It spits out the acceleration (g, ft/sec^2, m/sec^2) and line pull (lbf, N).  Note: input linear speed or angular speed, not both.

Dave Hull:
Paul,

Just to add a bit to your calculations--I read an article from an old 1960's model magazine that showed results of actual strain gage testing done while flying. I believe they were using Goodyear racers or something similar. They recorded values slightly higher than the straight centrifugal loads from level, unaccelerated (x-axis) flight. In a stunter, I might expect the aero loads to be even more of a contributor.

Dave

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Dave Hull on March 28, 2020, 01:53:27 AM ---Paul,

Just to add a bit to your calculations--I read an article from an old 1960's model magazine that showed results of actual strain gage testing done while flying. I believe they were using Goodyear racers or something similar. They recorded values slightly higher than the straight centrifugal loads from level, unaccelerated (x-axis) flight. In a stunter, I might expect the aero loads to be even more of a contributor.

--- End quote ---

I would be interested in seeing that, but I would expect a pretty small number in the case of flying tangent. The line "sag" is, for sake of argument, 3 degrees, the component of the drag associated with the lines is maybe 1/2 lb, that's only .03 ish lbs out of maybe 10 lbs from the pure centrifugal force.

I would expect the racing case to be have a  much larger component of "added" line tension, because I think the line drag is a much larger proportion of the total, maybe 50% as opposed to stunt which is maybe 10-20%.

Brett

Wolfgang Nieuwkamp:
The line drag has no influence on the centrifugal force. But the lines themselves certainly contribute to the centrifugal force, when measured at the handle.
Regards,
Wolfgang

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: Brett Buck on March 28, 2020, 09:16:09 AM ---I would expect the racing case to be have a  much larger component of "added" line tension...

--- End quote ---

It would for naughty racers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version