Design > Engineering board

Centrifugal Force Calculator

<< < (5/5)

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: Igor Burger on March 31, 2020, 03:37:32 AM ---So next time I must try really thick ropes as lines, they must improve line tension

--- End quote ---

I can give you a corollary.  Bob Carver, a physicist, would fly his Nelson .36-powered combat planes on .012" (.305mm) lines.  Sometimes the line tension would abruptly diminish to zero.

Serge_Krauss:
FWIW, since it this does not address the interesting point we mostly discussed...

I just re-viewed the original link and saw something that always troubles me, coming from people who should know better. Centrifugal force is not "fictitious." It is a real requirement of Newton's third law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Centrifugal force is the force you feel at the handle. It is one of a reaction pair of forces working on different objects that influence each other (pilot and plane). The pilot pulls on  the plane ( via the lines - or sub-atomic particles) with a centripetal force that accelerates the plane into a circular path. The plane pulls on the pilot with the required reaction force through the intermediary lines. The Centripetal force requires a reaction force applied oppositely and called centrifugal. A pilot attempting to use a 747 as a control liner would certainly not think a centrifugal force was "fictitious."

So,...to beat that "dead horse," centripetal and centrifugal forces are a reaction pair working on separate objects influencing each other. Fire away.

Ken Culbertson:
Maybe this one explains why judges can't seem to agree on what properly flown maneuvers look like, well some anyway.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version