News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:09:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wrench size??  (Read 1888 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wrench size??
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:01:15 AM »
Looking to get a few small wrenches for assembling a NVA without damaging tge nuts with needle nose.

What SAE/Metric sizes would be needed for OS,ST, and PA assemblies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wrench size??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:24:07 AM »

James, I think that the O S and  S T are 6mm, and the P A is 1/4" S A E, if the S T is a 'knock off"  it might be different..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:25:23 AM »

James, I think that the O S and  S T are 6mm, and the P A is 1/4" S A E, if the S T is a 'knock off"  it might be different..
Cool thanks Gil!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »
   I have lways used 1/4' nut drives for most NVA fittings and then needle nose pliers. Then I discovered that Jim Lee has hand held sockets that are really nice. I used the 5.5 mm for OS type NVAs and got a 1/4" to supplement the nut driver I have always used. I have never found the need for another size. he has them in a "slim" version where they are cut down to fit inside the ratchet spring n the needle side in all sizes also. Jim makes neat stuff because he has been doing this for so long that he knows just what is needed and what it should be. The sockets are attached to nicely knurled handles and have a hole in the end if you need to put a rod through it for extra torque. Check them out at his web site.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
   I have lways used 1/4' nut drives for most NVA fittings and then needle nose pliers. Then I discovered that Jim Lee has hand held sockets that are really nice. I used the 5.5 mm for OS type NVAs and got a 1/4" to supplement the nut driver I have always used. I have never found the need for another size. he has them in a "slim" version where they are cut down to fit inside the ratchet spring n the needle side in all sizes also. Jim makes neat stuff because he has been doing this for so long that he knows just what is needed and what it should be. The sockets are attached to nicely knurled handles and have a hole in the end if you need to put a rod through it for extra torque. Check them out at his web site.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
I thought i remembered seeing something like that posted forever ago but just wasnt sure. Thats even better!!!!

Thanks Dan!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »

All OSes are not the same, but the usual ST type is indeed 6mm, and the PA/RO-Jett are 1/4". For some reason people have been concerned about trying to find these, and talk about "ignition wrench sets" (for ignitions from 30+ years ago - there are no wrenches used on modern car ignitions). However:

https://www.amazon.com/1-4-combination-wrench/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A1%2F4%20combination%20wrench

for as little as 47 cents. I generally like the 6-point types but all are great overkill for the tiny loads required. A quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot will solve this problem.

Brett

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
   All OSes are not the same, but the usual ST type is indeed 6mm, and the PA/RO-Jett are 1/4". For some reason people have been concerned about trying to find these, and talk about "ignition wrench sets" (for ignitions from 30+ years ago - there are no wrenches used on modern car ignitions). However:

https://www.amazon.com/1-4-combination-wrench/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A1%2F4%20combination%20wrench

for as little as 47 cents. I generally like the 6-point types but all are great overkill for the tiny loads required. A quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot will solve this problem.

Brett
Thanks Brett.

I will send Jim Lee an email to see if he still has his knurled handled ones. I much rather give him business than big box stores.. and if not. Then I know where to get them.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »
Thanks Brett.

I will send Jim Lee an email to see if he still has his knurled handled ones. I much rather give him business than big box stores..

Of course, if they are available from the good guys like Jim, get them there. But people have been saying that they were unable to find them anywhere for some reason, so I posted the link with something like 50 different sources all in one place.

Brett

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
Remember you need either open end , boxed end --OR ---DEEP well sockets in 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm or 1/4 inch to cover all NVA

In a pinch, withOUT the right size, I always reach for the small flat duck bill pliers and NOT the Needle nose

I have a few sets of small flat duck bill pliers that have been ground down to grab the NUT and hold it at the spray hole angle needed while I tighten the shebang firm

I have several sockets (deep style that are NOT deep enough) I was able to chuck up a drill, slightly smaller than the flats, and bored deeper to allow clearance for the fuel nipple length

Spring Ratchet type NV holders are a PITA!
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »
Remember you need either open end , boxed end --OR ---DEEP well sockets in 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm or 1/4 inch to cover all NVA

Spring Ratchet type NV holders are a PITA!

That is why I mentioned Jim's hand held sockets, and the slimmed down versions. He has turned down the barrel of the socket to where it fits in the ratchet spring, problem solved!.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
          I use small metric and SAE ignition wrenches.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
          I use small metric and SAE ignition wrenches.

The very first tool set I bought when I was 18 years old in 1974 came with a set of ignitions wrenches in standard sizes for working on points and condenser ignitions, which almost don't exist any more these days.  Today, no one knows what that means. The last set of sockets I bought from Sears 15 or 20 years ago to use in the printing business, came with what was called "midget wrenches" on the pouch they were in, and were in both standard and metric sizes. They came in handy for certain parts of printing presses and bindery machinery. If looking for these, you may have to call them midget  or micro combination wrenches. OS engines used to come with the proper wrenches for this and I have a bunch of those in my starter box, but only used them a few times over the years. The hand held units Jim Lee makes are the best in my opinion. The small wrenches can be kind of awkward to use if both hands are needed.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »
Ordered the 3 sizes from him in the "deep well" sockets. 1/4" , 5.5mm, 6mm just a little while ago!   
      The very first tool set I bought when I was 18 years old in 1974 came with a set of ignitions wrenches in standard sizes for working on points and condenser ignitions, which almost don't exist any more these days.  Today, no one knows what that means. The last set of sockets I bought from Sears 15 or 20 years ago to use in the printing business, came with what was called "midget wrenches" on the pouch they were in, and were in both standard and metric sizes. They came in handy for certain parts of printing presses and bindery machinery. If looking for these, you may have to call them midget  or micro combination wrenches. OS engines used to come with the proper wrenches for this and I have a bunch of those in my starter box, but only used them a few times over the years. The hand held units Jim Lee makes are the best in my opinion. The small wrenches can be kind of awkward to use if both hands are needed.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 08:22:12 PM »
Ordered the 3 sizes from him in the "deep well" sockets. 1/4" , 5.5mm, 6mm just a little while ago!   

Use  socket/nut  drivers  ( screw driver handle ones)  1/4 inch  to use your sockets, you can strip   brass nuts  and bars  very easy with a  socket  wrench

Regards
Randy

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »
Use  socket/nut  drivers  ( screw driver handle ones)  1/4 inch  to use your sockets, you can strip   brass nuts  and bars  very easy with a  socket  wrench

Regards
Randy

These that Jim Lee sells, are the sockets, with knurled handles attached. Not much longer that the socket really. Very easy to handle, and fit well in the flight box! Big enough to be easy to handle and spot in your tool box, but small enough to have several fit in a small compartment. I wish I was more computer savvy so I could post photos.
   Type art you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »
    These that Jim Lee sells, are the sockets, with knurled handles attached. Not much longer that the socket really. Very easy to handle, and fit well in the flight box! Big enough to be easy to handle and spot in your tool box, but small enough to have several fit in a small compartment. I wish I was more computer savvy so I could post photos.
   Type art you later,
    Dan McEntee

OK, maybe my imagination is failing me, or fundamentally unimaginative, how do you use a socket or nut driver over a typical ST/PA/Jett needle valve to tighten the collet, or to hold the nut on a typical Fox/McCoy?  I have just used regular combination wrenches - being well aware or Randy's observation (no doubt from his extensive history with owners) not to over-torque it.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 12:46:23 AM »
   Type art you later,
    Dan McEntee

Hi Dan

I wasn't  talking about specifically Jims  knurled wrenches, They are nice peces ,
I was talking about using deep well sockets, or any socket, and it was a cauton not  to use a L angle wrench and put too much pressure on the  nut or  bar,  but you will still find a  standard  wrench  will come in handy and you will need it on some  Needle assembles

Randy

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
Jim offers in Standard sockets and Deep Well for a buck more.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
        I keep a set of SAE and metric ignition wrenches in my box. My Craftsman sets are probably nearing 40 yrs old. I don't know if they still offer them, but both sets were combination wrenches. They're my go to wrenches for just what you asked about. I also found a myriad of uses for them over the years. Ken

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
Jims sockets I ordered arrived today. Really good stuff!!!!!!!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here