News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will these .35's work?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Will these .35's work?
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:25:41 AM »
Hello All, Especially RANDY SMITH,
I have one really good condition SuperTigre G-21 .35 and one also really good condition SuperTigre C .35.
Will either one or both of these engines work well for stunt? say a Geiseke Nobler to Ares size .35 powered ship
built very light i.e., I've previously built a G. Nobler w/Fox .35 power that turned out at 38.5 oz AUW  RTF minus fuel
and two Sig Chipmunks at 40 & 42.5 oz AUW minus fuel so I am definately capable of paying extra special attention to the weight
if need be. So how does everyone think/ feel that these engines would work for me?

Thanks Very Much In Advance
For All Of Your help And Thoughts,
                                        James Strickland

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Will these .35's work?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
Not so sure about the"C" model, but the G-21 is a most likely a combat model engine and not suited for stunt use.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »
Hello All, Especially RANDY SMITH,
I have one really good condition SuperTigre G-21 .35 and one also really good condition SuperTigre C .35.
Will either one or both of these engines work well for stunt? say a Geiseke Nobler to Ares size .35 powered ship
built very light i.e., I've previously built a G. Nobler w/Fox .35 power that turned out at 38.5 oz AUW  RTF minus fuel
and two Sig Chipmunks at 40 & 42.5 oz AUW minus fuel so I am definately capable of paying extra special attention to the weight
if need be. So how does everyone think/ feel that these engines would work for me?

Thanks Very Much In Advance
For All Of Your help And Thoughts,
                                        James Strickland

Hi James

The G21 35 would be a combat motor and I would not use it as a Nobler motor,or for any other stunt ship of that size it just does not make sense to build a plane around a engine that is not going to fit the plane as well as others, There are just too many better motors to use, ie Aero Tiger, Enya 30SS, Enya 35S, LA 40. LA 46, FP 35 or 40, FOX 35, GP 40, TT 36. Magnum 36.
The C 35 plain bearing would be the one to use, if, you had to use one.

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
Not mentioned is that there are two configurations of the C-35.  One has a baffle top piston and is timed for a stunt 4-2 run.

The flat top is a combat engine, also, but not as strong as the G.21.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
...there are two configurations of the C-35.  One has a baffle top piston and is timed for a stunt 4-2 run. The flat top is a combat engine, also, but not as strong as the G.21. BIG Bear RNMM/AMM

Rather strange, Dave Day has won Vintage Stunt at the Brit. Nats at least once with a Boxcar Chief with a flat top fitted. Ran quite o.k.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
Hi 
As I stated above the C 35 Combat will work in The a Stunt plane like a Nobler, It is a much better choice than the G-21 35 is, but, Also there are better engines out there for you to use.

Randy

PS I made a couple of G21-35s with single bypass sleeves, baffle pistons and the slotted ST 35 head, they ran OK, But had no where near the power of the HP-40 or the G21 46, and weigh as much

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »
Aero Tiger 36 - one of the BEST!!!!!

Bob Z.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
Not all c35 supertigers are the same. The earlier ones had a baffled piston, I had one of those, and it was an good stunt motor. Other motors had the same piston and sleeve as the g21-35, and there were at least three variations of that over the years.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
Not mentioned is that there are two configurations of the C-35.  One has a baffle top piston and is timed for a stunt 4-2 run.

The flat top is a combat engine, also, but not as strong as the G.21.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

The Stunt (baffled piston) and Combat C.35's were produced at the same time, tho the Stunt version may have been dropped first. There were AMA events for plain bearing .35's, and the Stunt was not a great engine, by most accounts. It may have been due to attempts to make it 4-2-4, when it was not intended to. The C.35 Combat was a torque motor (more like a Johnson CS), while the G.21 was a screamer (more similar to a Fox). Bob Barron did fly a G.21 .35 in a high rpm mode in his PA-6 (?), published about 1966.

The late Rich McConnell used the flat piston C.35 version in stunt, and preferred it to the baffled piston version. That said, Rich was famous for decidedly NOT mainstream engine choices, odd fuel systems and lousy engine runs, some flights idling to a stop in front of the Judges at around the 15 minute mark. I believe it was PW that put down his clipboard and went to put the thing out of our misery.   BW@ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »
...... some flights idling to a stop in front of the Judges at around the 15 minute mark........

Sooo ...... how long is that pattern supposed to be then?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
The C35 flat topped piston motors had at least three different liners over it's production lifetime.  The first was a mildly timed liner with little or no blowdown.  The second was a higher timed liner with sub-port induction, and the final one added perry ports.   It is kind of hard making a blanket statement about a particular size and model supertiger when the internals change so much over the years.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
The C35 flat topped piston motors had at least three different liners over it's production lifetime.  The first was a mildly timed liner with little or no blowdown.  The second was a higher timed liner with sub-port induction, and the final one added perry ports.   It is kind of hard making a blanket statement about a particular size and model supertiger when the internals change so much over the years.

Thanks for the info, Mike.  Personally I have only had two of each engine and the different run characteristics for the two different ones were substantial.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here