News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why the difference between the OS FP 40 and the Tower 40?  (Read 990 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Why the difference between the OS FP 40 and the Tower 40?
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »
Hallo everyone,
                      I managed to drop the liner from my FP 40 and now its way out of round! Fortunately, Jim Thomerson came to the rescue and sent me a Tower 40 piston liner and conrod (Thanks Jim, what a kind gentleman you are). As I got to assembling the FP 40 with Jim's new bits, I got to wondering.
  Perceived knowledge says that the FP 40 is almost certain to runaway after the first manoeuvre. Most posts that I have read seem to go along with this opinion, unless you use the Philly Fliers tune up. There are a few folk who say that the FP 40 is good out of the box. Apart from the Philly Fliers tune up, most other people resort to sending off the motor to a man who can fix it!
  On the other hand, everyone including Jim, says that the Tower 40 is a real pussycat stunt motor, good straight out the box with no runaway! This is a bit odd as the Tower is an excellent clone of the FP 40, you can mix and match the parts and they all go together, no problem. The only tangible difference is that the Tower is ABC and the OS is ABN. is the difference in behaviour down to this? If it is then why does the ABC liner work and the ABN liner most times doesn't?
  It may be that the difference in liners is a red herring. I know that the fabled OS quality is somewhat lacking in the later FP 40s. For example the crankshafts are not up to the Tower item (reported in some threads), also the deck height of the OS has varied surprisingly in the samples I have measured. I don't know about the Tower 40 as I have never had any to measure! Could the unpredictable behaviour of the OS be linked to this rather than the ABC / ABN difference?
  The reason that I ask is I am wondering if my OS 40 with Tower 40 innards will behave like a typical OS or a typical Tower! The engine is now assembled but its too cold to go fly it and find out. I am getting a wimp, no flying with snow on the ground!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Alan Hahn

Re: Why the difference between the OS FP 40 and the Tower 40?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »
I believe this (minor deck differences) is what Len Neumann said when he talked about his SSW FP35's and FP40's.

He had a prescription for his deck rework. He did it by turning down the underside lip of the FP cylinder liner. I bet he still has the info on the SSW site. I know I saved a copy of it some years back. I also followed his directions on one of my FP40's. His mod (set deck height and plug the boost port) was set to run the engine with ~12-6 props in a wet 2 cycle.

Anyway that's what I recall from memory.

I do think these relatively minor changes amount to a lot when running a 'stunt' engine. Maybe not so much in an RC application, except for some small barely noticeable power differences--that most RC'ers wouldn't notice (especially since these tended to be beginner engines).

But they add a lot of fuel to our debates in CL when one guy claims an engine is trash, and the other is stunt heaven. The fact is they both can be right!

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »
The trick is getting the right propeller on your engine.  The best prop I have found for the Tower 40 is the Supercool petal blade 11 x 5.  Mine would wind up on an APC 11 x 5 enough to be unusable.  A Zinger wide 11 x 5 worked OK.  People recommend the APC 10 1/2 x 4 1/2 for the Tower (and many other engines as well) but I have not tried one.  I've flown a Tower 40 with boost port blocked and could not see any difference. 

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
The Tower 40 is no longer listed on Tower Hobby website.  Anyone know the reason why?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
The T.40 has been out of production for about 5 years! There may be some parts left, but not backplates...and finding them with search is pretty nigh impossible, unless you have PN's, and maybe not then.

The trick with most these engines seems to be to find the right prop/venturi/muffler/fuel combination. I think the idea is to put enough fuel through it to keep the engine well lubricated (so the venturi can't be too small), and cool (so the muffler can't be too restrictive, the prop too large, or the oil too sparce). The right combo seems to give a launch rpm about 1k below peak, with the lap times you're seeking.

Lots of folks like the 10.5 x 4.5 APC for various engines...but I've had such good results with the Thunder Tiger Cyclone 11 x 4.5, I just have to brag on it...and I hate to admit it, but the quality is better.  #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
Hallo all,
           Looks like I didn't do my homework properly! From what Jim says above, you can get the Tower 40 to wind up if you select the wrong prop! If that is the case, then my post falls in flames! Serves me right for not checking thoroughly.

Apologies!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here