News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why die when I fly high?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Why die when I fly high?
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
Ok ,, I reread what I typed,, It came across pointed, not meant that way,,,, Tim, take it constructivly,, as if we were standing in Salem talking ,,

But Mark, you're a lot scarier in person than you are on a web forum.

Besides, the airplane is pretty far out of trim; alternating making the airframe better with making the motor better might get me to the Tune Up in better shape than concentrating on one or the other for too long.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »
But Mark, you're a lot scarier in person than you are on a web forum.

Besides, the airplane is pretty far out of trim; alternating making the airframe better with making the motor better might get me to the Tune Up in better shape than concentrating on one or the other for too long.

me scarey,
sheesh,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:21 PM »
Someones probably said it . But with the Copper Thick wall plumbers bundy tube , like you use for vents ,

as a feed pipe , youre doomed on a .40 .   this leads to lean runs & various dramas . If you like that sort of thing .

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »
Reading your description again I had this following thought. It is typical and desirable in many ways for a UC plane to lean out in overheads. Overhead, gravity is pulling the fuel away from the pickup creating a leaner mixture. Desirable since more power is needed to keep the plane out there on the lines when airplane speed alone is counteracting the pull of gravity. In level flight, the weight of the plane is supported by wing lift. As we get further and further above level flight, airplane speed and the centrifugal force created by an airplane flying on a tether, keeps the lines taught, while overcoming gravity. Most engines noticeably lean out in the overhead maneuvers. In moderation it is considered an element of a good stunt run. If you think the airplane is speeding up too much add a head gasket,  and/or go to a smaller venturi. I would use a smaller prop. The 10.5x4.5. sport APC works for me.  A larger prop might complicate finding a happy needle setting, a setting where the engine pulls well throughout the pattern, without over speeding. It is possible that your tank is too fat, hard to tell without seeing the tank in person. I notice that the sides are belled. A flatter tank might reduce the transition changes as fuel is consumed (and fuel head is reduced) during the flight. I have had chicken hopper tanks work well on stunt profiles when space is an issue. The hopper seems to reduce the effects of fuel head change. Also, if cutting out is a problem, a chicken hopper might provide a better and more consistent feed. I usually run these and other tanks on muffler pressure and uniflo. On occasion vibrations issues, common on profiles, create problems, uniflo bubbling can exacerbate vibration induced foaming. Running without uniflo has helped in cases like this. If you suspect fuel foaming might be part of the problem, try running pressure to the overflow and cap the uniflo. Or cap the uniflo and vent with the overflow.

What he said.  BW@
Best description, in my opinion, of what goes on at the top/ overhead on this post. Like all say, many more knowledgeable and persistent folks have tried different alternatives. It is not by chance that they consistently come up with the same conclusions or set ups. I could have saved a lot of pain and frustration if S.H was around 30 yrs. ago.
Then, the only way to obtain valuable knowledge was to attend as many high end competitions as one could and ask many questions. Now, we have THIS PLACE. H^^ Wished I was 30 yrs younger... HB~>

Rafael

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
Wow.  This thread is still alive.

I'm still messing with things, but I'm pretty sure that my problems were a combination of two or three things:

• Different fuel than Mike used in that engine.  I've corrected that.
  • (Maybe) using too much pitch -- I started with an 11x4.5; an 11.5x4 seems better
  • The acoustics of my flying site were making the engine sound worse than it really was, and both the leadouts and the tip weight needed work.  So while it really was dying high at first, later on it was just me misinterpreting what I was hearing

Current setup:

Tower 40.  11.5 x 4 prop, launch around 9700 (I'm still fine-tuning that).  Hayes 4oz tank (which seems to be plenty).  "Modern" fuel, 10% nitro, 18% synthetic, no castor.

I'm still going to try a few different props, now that I've changed fuels.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here