News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who made this muffler and should I use it?  (Read 909 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who made this muffler and should I use it?
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
         Hi All:

In my junk drawer, I found an old tongue style that has a blued body and a 1/4" coil spring that runs the width of the opening.  This is held in place with a 1/4" set screw and a worm drive strap.  I am guessing it was from the 70's.  It fits my HP .40 engines perfectly.

Tia,

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: Who made this muffler and should I use it?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Hello Frank

Sounds very much like the DuBro stack mufflers (called the DuBro Muff-l-Air) they made in two sizes 09-25 and 29-40 . They work well but the spring coil can clog up with oil and stifle your motor if you use caster .
If you hold it up to the light and can see if its blocked you need to disassemble and clean the spring. If you shorten the spring it lowers back pressure and the stock spring is often too long /restrictive for high performance engines and the instructions detailed this. I have many in use on our fleet.

Regards Gerald
NB added few images pulled off the net but I still have the original instructions if you want me to post.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
        Hi Gerald:

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the muffler in question looks like the ones that you pictured.  Somebody cut off the "pointed" end of my muffler.  Kindly post the instructions.

Thanks,

Frank

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »
Hello Frank

I would not worry that some of the muffler has been trimmed off as long as the spring end is still intact , I have trimmed them off short for combat models.
Attached are some copes of the instructions for both the spring  and baffle plate models, also added the instructions from a Tatone Peace Pipe as they are relevant too and a nice muffler if you can find them (my favorite aftermarket 'old' muffler).
Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here