News:

• April 16, 2024, 03:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who does hop up work on Cub .049 engines?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who does hop up work on Cub .049 engines?
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:06:19 AM »
     Hello:

Anybody know who does hop up work on these engines?  If so, kindly contact me.

Tia,

Frank

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
Re: Who does hop up work on Cub .049 engines?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
     Hello:

Anybody know who does hop up work on these engines?  If so, kindly contact me.

Tia,

Frank

Bob Mattes. See the other thread.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 06:41:25 AM »
           Frank, I was always skeptical about the OK cubs most of which was hearsay. Dennis Lipsett a member of the forum gave me his Cub collection. Larry Renger also used the Cubs and did some posting on them many years back. Dennis and Larry both recognized the capabilities of these engines early on when one would polish the crank and use higher nitro.

There are so many variants of a OK Cub and knowing what you have is a learning curve. There were two different case styles in size. There was also dual bypass cases and single bypass. There was steel conrods and there were aluminum conrods. Venturi sizes are ALL different some having a substantial opening and some so small you can't believe the engine runs with it. They were all designed for different run styles boats, cars and planes.

I happened to be in touch with Brebeck prior to his retirement. It might even be safe to suggest that I might have received the last OK Cub .049 that was ever sold.  He had already retired for certain and I had sent him money for some parts and a entire engine. He sent me a list of what he had. Surprisingly, I received the engine and parts. For the little amount he charged me for it, I was not even certain I would receive it.

I lost one of my best running Cub .049's on a free flight model which upset me quite a bit. I haven't found a replacement for it. While this sounds like they might be a dime a dozen, I had the large case version with the dual bypass which isn't as common as one would think. Using Dennis's engines I was able to compare engine to engine noting immediately the different runs I was achieving from one to the other. Outside, some look completely identical but internally they're not and Bob Matte even explains some case differences.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
While setting up my hollow log planes for the Walt Musciano event, I had the opportunity to tinker with a bunch of Cub 049s.
The plane shown in the photo is my best attempt at hollow log.
It is the Bullet and, weighing around 5 ounces will do most of the pattern.
The wing is 1/8 thick and the leadouts are INSIDE the wing - figure that one out.
But, to the engine.
1) I removed the cylinder base gasket to raise the compression a bit.
2) Cleaned up the crankshaft, polished all bearing surfaces and smoothed out the intake port.
3) Deburred and polished the connecting rod, added a lube hole at the lower end
4) Deburred and polished all surfaces inside the crankcase.
5) Slightly opened up and polished the cylinder bypass ports.
6) Relieved the lower half of the piston by polishing with crocus cloth - hard to measure but I estimate around .0002. This supposedly will reduce the piston-to-cylinder friction a bit.
7) Cleaned up and polished the inside of the venturi.

Swinging a 5 1/2  4 nylon prop and running on 30% nitro/20% synthetic, it had no problem staying out on the lines, even in the overhead maneuvers.

Bob Z.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:01:47 PM »
I have found that Cub engines will tolerate incredible Nitro levels. In a FF 1/2 A Spacer I ran 60%. Nitro + propy P fuel with no problem.  Probably performed like a Tee Dee or Holland. Certainly amazed the onlookers. 🤪

See my hop up tips in the 1/2 A forum. Not much required.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:09:00 AM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here