News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:11:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jett 60 pipe gets loose  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Jett 60 pipe gets loose
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
Hello,
After experimenting with three different props and pipe setups on the ground, I finally tested the latest configuration (details below) in the air yesterday.
My Intrepid XL did not fly well with launch RPM ~10,200 and using 12x4 MAS 2 blade prop. in 2-4-2 mode. This configuration delivered 2,200 grams (77.6 oz) of static thrust but it was not enough to provide enough pull in the air for the model weighting now almost 72 oz. and to overcame the lines (0.018") air resistance.
The model barely stayed in the air in level flight with Jett exhibiting 2-4-2 break flying sluggishly with lap times approaching 7 seconds.

Using this prop., I can reach 14,000 RPM on the ground and this will provide enough pull but the launch engine mode will be full 2 cycle, the plane will fly too fast with too much lines tension and the engine screaming at probably 16,000 RPM.

It looks I am back at the place I was when I started changing the props and pipe setup.

Going back to my only flight yesterday: I could not test the launch RPM=14,000 because my pipe slid back about 0.5" during level flight and I could not secure the pipe again in place using two new zip ties. No matter how hard I zipped the zip ties ( to the point of breaking them ), the pipe was easily removable by hand. It was simply sliding on the film of oil covering the header.

How do I secure the pipe and with what? Should I crimp the header creating circular grooves and use new zip ties after each flight? Should I perhaps use soft copper wire instead of zip ties? If yes...how to do it without accidentally breaking/damaging soft silicone while twisting the wire?

Perhaps the best solution to have some control over "randomly sliding pipe" is to support it at the rear end with mechanical stop ( small piece of plywood glued to the fuselage with one screw allowing to regulate the pipe's position within, say, 1")

Your comments are appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jett 60 pipe gets loose
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
Matt there IS a learning curve here with these so don't lose heart.  BUT you must listen to a little advise.  I say a little tongue in cheek that you MUST quit trying to run a $500.00 power package on a paint stir stick for a prop.  Search out and pony up for some decent carbon props suitable for the application.  You'll never reach nirvana until you do. 
In re the pipe.  I too had these problems early on until I started using a small automotive hose clamp to hold the pipe in place- heck I've blown them clear off the airplane.  One doesn't know back pressure until to try corralling the .76!  You will also notice the coupler I told you about elsewhere.  The pipe needs one sort-of-soft support down its length but beware other hard point  stops touching the pipe.  Vibration will create a great spot to make a leak  in the pipe here.  You'll get there! 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:27:13 AM »
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your clear verdict re: Jett and the propeller suitable for it.

I will get the 3 blade props and will keep fighting with the pipe setup until I get a decent performance.

Re: clamp: I used such metal clamp before but it damaged the coupler ( 0.75" id blue, semi-transparent silicon tube ) almost instantly. Closer scrutiny of the photo you sent, shows two colors of "something" below the clamp; one orange and one green with the bare metal of the clamp clamping green.

Could you please clarify what is orange and what is green. Perhaps orange and green are simply two laminated together layers of the same automotive cooling system pipe?

Can they withstand up to 300 deg.F without shrinking, stiffening or peeling?

Best Regards,
Matt

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »
Yes Matt that's the double walled silicone heater hose with a fiber weave in the outer layer.  It will take the hose clamp and any temp you throw at it.  I get hundreds of flights on each coupler.  I have seen an occasional tear on the inner layer (after much use) and a tiny air leak then between layers.  It's still by far the best I've used.  I get mine at O'Reilly Auto Parts.  About $15.00 a foot.
AMA 20934

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »

Dave,
You have solved one of my problems.
Thanks,
Matt

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
Hello,
After experimenting with three different props and pipe setups on the ground, I finally tested the latest configuration (details below) in the air yesterday.
My Intrepid XL did not fly well with launch RPM ~10,200 and using 12x4 MAS 2 blade prop. in 2-4-2 mode. This configuration delivered 2,200 grams (77.6 oz) of static thrust but it was not enough to provide enough pull in the air for the model weighting now almost 72 oz. and to overcame the lines (0.018") air resistance.
The model barely stayed in the air in level flight with Jett exhibiting 2-4-2 break flying sluggishly with lap times approaching 7 seconds.

Using this prop., I can reach 14,000 RPM on the ground and this will provide enough pull but the launch engine mode will be full 2 cycle, the plane will fly too fast with too much lines tension and the engine screaming at probably 16,000 RPM.

It looks I am back at the place I was when I started changing the props and pipe setup.

Going back to my only flight yesterday: I could not test the launch RPM=14,000 because my pipe slid back about 0.5" during level flight and I could not secure the pipe again in place using two new zip ties. No matter how hard I zipped the zip ties ( to the point of breaking them ), the pipe was easily removable by hand. It was simply sliding on the film of oil covering the header.

How do I secure the pipe and with what? Should I crimp the header creating circular grooves and use new zip ties after each flight? Should I perhaps use soft copper wire instead of zip ties? If yes...how to do it without accidentally breaking/damaging soft silicone while twisting the wire?

Perhaps the best solution to have some control over "randomly sliding pipe" is to support it at the rear end with mechanical stop ( small piece of plywood glued to the fuselage with one screw allowing to regulate the pipe's position within, say, 1")]

Clean the internal surfaces of the coupler with lacquer thinner until completely dry, and the same with the outside of the pipe. and outside of the header. That means squeaky clean without even oil from your fingers.  Only then should you clap down on the ty-wraps. I also glue a ring around the from end of the pipe with JB-Weld, and rough up the header with 120 grit sandpaper. If you do it right, it will nearly weld itself to the header and pipe to the point it will be difficult to move. And, that's pretty good because you don't want to move it, put it at around 17..5-17.75 and leave it until you get a flyable combination

I can pretty well predict that you *are not* going to have much luck with props like Zingers and Master Airscrews. At the very least, you will need to adjust the launch RPM to get the right in-flight speed for your combination.  The only hobby-shop prop that will permit decent performance is the 12.25-3.75 APC, and it will certainly not be ideal. Maybe at a 13-4 Rev Up. In this case you are probably getting very little unload from the ground to the air (because of the extreme parasitic drag of the prop) so it comes out too slow.

I would suggest that the static thrust measurements are not terribly useful. That's in the ballpark of mine

No one runs these engines on unmodified wooden props with much success. It can be done with heavily modified props but that's not a good idea for this case.

Regardless of that, take whatever prop you have, set it at 10,000 on the ground, and launch it. Check the lap times. If it's too slow (like 5.5 or lower), bump it up 200 RPM at a time on consecutive flights until you get around 5.2-5.3. If it's too fast, drop it down 200 RPM or so per flight until you get around 5.2-5.3.  Don't change other parts or settings, get your 12.25-3.75, and work towards a good in-flight speed,  THEN see how it works in flight. That should be plenty fast enough to provide abundant line tension. Then see how it works.

It's possible that after this, you will find that the engine "charges", that is, gain excessive speed in the corners. Then you might want to extend the pipe 1/4" at a time until it moderates the charging. If you find that it starts to sag a but after corners, then you might need to push it in a bit. At each point, adjust the needle until it yields the right lap times.

I don't think we fully understand what you mean by running in "2-4-2". I though we did, but perhaps not. It's either 4-stroking, 2-stroking, or cycling back and forth.

Your airplane is not particularly heavy and you are not running excessively draggy lines. LOTS of airplanes are in that ballpark and fly fine, and a piped 60  That is not likely a source of your problem. There may well be some other trim issues, but if you are hauling it around at 5.2 second laps and it isn't drastically slowing or speeding up during maneuvers, the engine is not the problem. If it was putting out nearly 3 hp a few days ago with stunt settings, it certainly isn't broken or somehow defective.

Brett

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:58:06 PM »
Wow, you are getting some excellent advice here. Question: Is this the old cast-case George Aldrich designed Jett 60, or the newer RoJett 61? Some more thoughts: I think on one of posts Brett specified a 17 3/4 plug to first baffle pipe length. You changed it back to 18 3/4...WRONG! Go back to length that was mentioned in the post then set at 10,000. It will run as Brett recommends at that length and RPM. It's also the length I am using on a bar stock Ro-Jett 61 in a Randy Smith designed, SV-11 based  "Olympian". If lap times are too slow it is not the engine, it is the prop and line length. Pipe wise, I found the newer Randy and Jett pipes lighter and easier to tune than the pipes that were used way back when. Recommend an upgrade but other's experience may differ. 

Also, if it is a real Jett 60 (rare, not many of them out there) it is very similar to the more common Jett 50 that preceeded it. I have a lot of time running that engine. It likes a plug to baffle distance of 17 3/8 and does real well with an APC 11.5 x 4 prop. Launch RPM of 10,200. You may want to try that set-up. FWIW: I, like you, spent a lot of time and burned a lot of fuel chasing my tail before I got it figured out by actually started following the advice that was offered me by more knowledgeable fliers...and surprise, it worked!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have found the black automotive heater hose from Preston ( PN#HH0304, id=0.75" ) that comply with SAE J20R3 and tested a small piece of it in my kitchen oven at 380 deg.F. After 30 minutes of baking at this temperature ( verified by my calibrated temperature sensor ) there was no sign of melting, softening or any degradation and no smell. It is not a silicone rubber and, what is really "funny", Preston and O'Reilly do not know the actual composition.

The hose has been manufactured in Thailand for CADNA Automotive, Memphis,TN. and waited for me in my local Canadian Tire store. $ 9 CDN ( plus tax of course ) for 6 feet. I suspect it is modified EPDM rubber with nominal max temperature ~300 deg. F and I hope it stays in place and in one piece after five flights.

I will use 3" of this hose for the header to pipe coupler clamping the end on the header with small, custom made, aluminum clamp with one screw. The surface of this hose has some form of skin that is much more puncture and abrasion resistant than the Blue Silicon coupler I have.

Again, if this works I would be able to move the pipe in + - 1/4" steps from the nominal 17.75" length suggested previously.

I will use the props I have, hoping to find the golden middle of lap time, speed and line tension.

If I can get semi-decent flights, I will order several Bolly 3 blade props and will keep testing until I UNDERSTAND THIS CURSED THING!! 

Regards,
Matt

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 10:43:05 PM »
If I can get semi-decent flights, I will order several Bolly 3 blade props and will keep testing until I UNDERSTAND THIS CURSED THING!! 

You don't need any special settings or knowledge. This is my setup, which is for a RO-Jett 61 BSE, but will work on your engine (with the RO-Jett liner):

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=232053&listing_type=search

If you have changed anything (like the compression), put it back to the way it came after the rework.

With a Bolly, you will need something like 4.25"-4.5" of pitch to get it to run about like my Eather 12.5-3.75.

Brett

Brett

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
Re: Jett 60 - the saga continues
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:11:04 AM »
Hi Brett,
I will get Eather 12.5-3.75 3 blades props.
Reason 1. you used them for practically the same Jett.
Reason 2. they are less expensive than Bolly.

I am checking the costs of mail from Australia to Canada right now but perhaps Mr.Eather can advise here.

The only thing I have changed in the engine configuration after receiving it from Dub was drilling the black, Teflon venturi that he installed to have the holes exactly like white, George Aldrich's venturi he gave me while selling me this engine in 2000. Current holes in the black venturi: main air flow id=0.225", fuel line id=0.100".

The original holes in the black venturi were: main air flow id=0.185", fuel line id=0.060".

I did the drilling after consulting Richard Oliver.

Regards,
Matt     

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »
Matt that Venturi opening sounds a little aggressive to me.  I use .193 or .205 in both the .61 and .76.  Much more might make the engine touchy on the needle and give some ragged , inconsistent runs.  I've never altered the stock fuel outlet size.  Also we all do some different things but I run a little more pitch (4.3-4.6) and slower RPM (8500-9500).  Actually the .61 I've been flying this spring is 8000 rpm , 4.7 pitch on Majlick 12.5 three blade and a 71 ounce airplane.  That's with the .205 Venturi.  5.2 laps.  Good luck on the props- they are pretty hard to come by sometimes.  Last I knew Bolly is gone,  Majlick quit making props this size and Brian is making a few small batches at times but is trying to retire.  He reopened the shop and made me a nice batch about a year ago.  I was told there is someone else out there making 'carbon copies'-pun intended- of various props .  The name and source fail me.  Otherwise you'll have to squeeze them from the cold sticky fingers of the guys who have a few or maybe somebody going 'lectrik'.  I've already been squeezed to the max for now .

Dave
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:08:47 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »
Hi Dave,
I have drilled the main venturi hole to id=0.225" and the fuel line to id=0.100" to bring the new, black venturi to the dimensions used in Aldrich's old white venturi.
I did this after consulting Richard Oliver.

I do not have another black venturi with original size holes ( 0.185" and 0.060") to try.

If I have to, I will get another one from Dub. At this moment, the prop selection and pipe secure placement problems take most of my time. 

Thank you for your comments.

I will keep you posted regarding my battle with many unknowns.

Regards,
Matt

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
Hi Dave,
I have drilled the main venturi hole to id=0.225" and the fuel line to id=0.100" to bring the new, black venturi to the dimensions used in Aldrich's old white venturi.

That is VASTLY too large, both of them. Aldrich's was also far too large, and it was one of the fundamentally flawed aspects of the GMA-Jett. It does explain some of the screwy results.

You need about a .205 with a spigot, or around .190 without a spigot, to run it the way mine runs.  You want the fuel inlet in the venturi to be around 1/16" to .050 if you don't use a spigot. Look in the archives to find how the spigot venturi works.

The post linked above will give you the necessary settings to get a good baseline setup.

Brett

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
Brett,
I will get the brand new RO-Jett venturi from Dub.

I hear the rumors that getting Eather's props these days is, how shall I put it...tricky(?) so...who knows if I will be able to fly more or less properly soon.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
Eliminator Props in the vendor section sells their CF copies of the Bolly 12x4 1/4 and 13x4 1/4 3 blades. While I don't have these particular props I have found the ones I do have as good and often superior than the props they emulate. I suggest buy them finished, especially the 3 blades. Worth the $$ to not have to deal with CF dust.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here