News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:10:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flite Streak engine choice?  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Flite Streak engine choice?
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »

Quick and simple, it's only one or the other?

Johnson 35 or Fox 35.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
Re: Flite Streak engine choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »

Quick and simple, it's only one or the other?

Johnson 35 or Fox 35.

CB

I would regard them as interchangeable. And totally unsuited when we have readily available engines which are not only cheap but do a superior job of actually flying something like a Flite Streak.

A simple search here or on SSW will net you reams of material.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
             The Fox MK 111 on bladder and 40% nitro. Ken

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
I would regard them as interchangeable. And totally unsuited when we have readily available engines which are not only cheap but do a superior job of actually flying something like a Flite Streak.

Dan,

OK,

I read some of your stuff. Three tanks... interesting.

I'll give it a bit more thought.

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
I have an ST G-23 on mine.  With a 1/8 id venturi and 9 x 4 prop, it is slow enough to do a stunt pattern on 60 ft lines. 

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
FOX 35.

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »
If its an ARF Flite Streak the nose might be too weak for a Fox, or anything but electric.  There is some info by Dirty Dan on the whole Flite Streak ARF thing with a 20FP.  There is also a video of an ARF Streak on youtube flying a very nice pattern with a 20FP.  If its not an ARF just make sure the nose doesn't shake or you will never get an engine run.  Also beware of the notorious Fox "burp".  Really annoying.  Never owned a Johnson.  Lots of info out there whatever your choice is.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »
Thanks guys,

And I thought this was going to be real easy.

No, not ARF, I'm actually building a vintage kit.

Slight warps in the LE and TE, but nothing to drastic.

I have my old engines, and really didn't want to spend money for something new, but it looks like I have no choice if I want a good flying model.

Doing the pattern with it sounds interesting.

I still have a bit of building to do.

Thanks,

CB

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »
Thanks guys,

And I thought this was going to be real easy.

No, not ARF, I'm actually building a vintage kit.

Slight warps in the LE and TE, but nothing to drastic.

I have my old engines, and really didn't want to spend money for something new, but it looks like I have no choice if I want a good flying model.

Doing the pattern with it sounds interesting.

I still have a bit of building to do.

Thanks,

CB

Hi Charles,

A Flite Streak with an OS .20FP has been used countless times to score over 500 points flying the AMA modern pattern out near Washington state.

I have the rebuild almost completed for Aaron's first "big" plane.  It will get an OS .20FP BBTU.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 06:40:56 PM »
Hi Charles,A Flite Streak with an OS .20FP has been used countless times to score over 500 points flying the AMA modern pattern out near Washington state.I have the rebuild almost completed for Aaron's first "big" plane.  It will get an OS .20FP BBTU.
BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Bill,

I looked around and found that .25 stunt Thread.

In that Thread, you mention changing the back plate and the NVA.

I would have to do this. Correct?

CB

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
Charles, I will assume an LA 25. The Thunder Tiger GP 25 backplate and gasket set fit and are available from Tower. If it is a rear needle version, best you fit the OS NVA, through the venturi, again available from Tower and listed as for the FP 20–40. It works for the LA 46 as well.

The plastic backplate can leak. One noted tuner has said the plastic backplate has leaked or will leak. I was surprised at how low the backplate screws were not tightened particularly tightly—just enough to ensure the backplate seals. Certainly not as tight as 'we' would tighten the screws with an aluminium backplate.

I would also replace the JIS cross-head screws with socket-head cap screws from Micro Fasteners while I was at it

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Charles there are a ton of FP 25s and a few less FP 20s on Ebay and at swap meets.  Many of them are new in box for about 50 bucks (or less). The venturi and needle valve mentioned fit the FP as well. No plastic backplate on the FP.  The aeromaniacs site has info on the 20 FP Flite Sreak (ARF) set up by Dirty Dan.  He hooks up the controls to the innermost bellcrank hole and has some suggestions for the CG.  Dan recommends the later ABN version of the FP.  How you can tell this on an Ebay picture is the port opposite the exhaust is more noticeable on the steel piston version.  The ABN version almost looks like a baffle ported engine.  Have fun!   

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
Charles there are a ton of FP 25s and a few less FP 20s on Ebay and at swap meets.  Many of them are new in box for about 50 bucks (or less). The venturi and needle valve mentioned fit the FP as well. No plastic backplate on the FP.  The aeromaniacs site has info on the 20 FP Flite Sreak (ARF) set up by Dirty Dan.  He hooks up the controls to the innermost bellcrank hole and has some suggestions for the CG.  Dan recommends the later ABN version of the FP.  How you can tell this on an Ebay picture is the port opposite the exhaust is more noticeable on the steel piston version.  The ABN version almost looks like a baffle ported engine.  Have fun!   

Joe,

Have fun?

Yea right. I may need a written road map for all this. Well, a parts list and supplier list anyway.  n~

Thanks for all this.

CB

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »
Alan Hahn has an ARF Flite Streak powered by a FOX .15 schnuerle.  It's not a combat setup, but it can do the entire pattern quite nicely.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »
Bill,

I looked around and found that .25 stunt Thread.

In that Thread, you mention changing the back plate and the NVA.

I would have to do this. Correct?

CB

Hi Charles,

I find the engines we are talking about are much more consistent and user friendly when thee back plate is replaced with a metal one and the NVA is of "normal" configuration.  All thepoarts needed are available.

Plenty will say that the plastic back plate is fine.  Personally I have never seen one that didn't eventually leak.  I do not have time to fiddle with leaking back plates and such.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
Hi Charles,I find the engines we are talking about are much more consistent and user friendly when thee back plate is replaced with a metal one and the NVA is of "normal" configuration.  All thepoarts needed are available.
Plenty will say that the plastic back plate is fine.  Personally I have never seen one that didn't eventually leak.  I do not have time to fiddle with leaking back plates and such.
BIG BearRNMM/AMM

Bill,

I'd like to make this purchase ASAP. I can get everything at Tower? "One stop one shop?"

CB

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Dan,

OK,

I read some of your stuff. Three tanks... interesting.

I'll give it a bit more thought.

CB

Yep, three tanks. Or as I told PW when he asked why the model had been so fitted, "Because I can't buy 1/2-ounce clunk tanks. Otherwise it would have six tanks."

This was merely an experiment. At the time I was considering--and in fact did so--installing a 6-ounce Hayes tank in my then-new Impact. The large tank fed a 1-ounce Sullivan round tank which then fed the RO-Jett 61.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
Yep, three tanks. Or as I told PW when he asked why the model had been so fitted, "Because I can't buy 1/2-ounce clunk tanks. Otherwise it would have six tanks."This was merely an experiment. At the time I was considering--and in fact did so--installing a 6-ounce Hayes tank in my then-new Impact. The large tank fed a 1-ounce Sullivan round tank which then fed the RO-Jett 61.Dan

Dirty Dan,

Post a photo of your Impact.

CB

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
Good luck on removing the warps, I gave up after several tries and just made a new TE.

Leoanrd
Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
Good luck on removing the warps, I gave up after several tries and just made a new TE.
Leoanrd

Leonard,

Kudos for trying!

I just did one up and one down.

CB

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
Short answer... FP 20.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
Enya 19V, 57 feet 015 9/5 Zinger,PowerMaster 10/25. Pure fun.

Dennis

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
ENYA 20  or
Enya 25SS

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
LA 25 works well too.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »
ENYA 20  or
Enya 25SS

I will be trying to get some of those once there are enough used ones available!

LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
Bill,

Your just gonna have to hunker down and buy one. You ought to know that they don't wear out and smart people never let them go.

Dennis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »
Bill,

Your just gonna have to hunker down and buy one. You ought to know that they don't wear out and smart people never let them go.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes, but I am cheap!  I don't know how to act if I have a NEW engine! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
I don't understand?

Isn't the Enya 20/25 a bushing engine?

Wouldn't the purchase of a bearing engine be a better choice?

??

CB

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »
Charles, much of the decision, for engine choices, are based upon several different factors, common in CL stunt. We do not always need the performance of a BB engine. The RPMs we run at, especially when using a breaking run, are lower, and a BB front end is not needed. Also, it's usually true that a bushing engine will be lighter in weight than the same engine with a BB.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Yes, but I am cheap!  I don't know how to act if I have a NEW engine! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Now Bill,

There are certain things that have to be experienced at least once or twice in life, New cars,girlfriends or wives, houses,jobs etc. But the only real thing that counts is that new engine that you just hadda have. You certainly know that life is short, do not procrastinate, get that Enya NOW, thats an order. OH!......LOL

Dennis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
Well, Brother Dennis, I will see if I can find a bunch of cans to turn in for money, save my nickles, etc., and get one of the 25SS!  Of course that means I will have to build a model for it......... ;D  Maybe an 80% Juno.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
Don't listen to those guys with that wimpy plain bearing Enya 20.  Use the well proven and reliable tigre 60 and don't waste your time trying to make a gutless engine work.  The ST 60 will fly the crap out of your flite streak! y1
Steve

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
I like the Fox .35 on the Top Flite kit version of the Flite Streak....it makes a real nice sport flier and will easily fly the entire pattern.  If you are into something a little faster and more lively, leave the landing gear off and use the Johnson....it makes a nice extra fast sport flier (even with landing gear on the plane). y1    #^   D>K    

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 06:14:20 AM »
The Flite Streak will fly well with a variety of engines. Around fifteen years ago, I found a kit at a swap meet and the only mod I made was a two-wheeled landing gear.
The first engine to pull it was an OS 20 four stroke. The plane flew surprisingly well, would fly the pattern and was a truly fun sport plane.
Then a Fox 35 stunt and it flew even better, the extra power allowing longer lines and better performance in the wind. As I recall, the Fox 35 was shown on the original plans.
I then fitted a single wheel gear and a low-time silver case Fox Combat Special, the same setup I used when the FS first came out. Went like hell and was just plain fun to wring out and show off a bit.
Next came a MK V Combat Special. More speed, more power, more fun.
The last engine to fly it was a Rossi 20. Running 40% nitro and a 7-6 APC prop, the combination was just plain scary. It actually flew faster than with any of the Foxes. It met it demise when the outboard wing exploded during a violent pullout - the covering must have torn, allowing pressure inside the wing to blast it apart. There were splinters and bits of covering everywhere.
I guess the engine choice really depends on what you want to do with the plane. There is a lot of good advice here. Decide what best suits your needs and go with it. You can always experiment with different engines later.
You'll be pleased to see how well the plane performs on a variety of powerplants.
Bob Z.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »
Don't listen to those guys with that wimpy plain bearing Enya 20.  Use the well proven and reliable tigre 60 and don't waste your time trying to make a gutless engine work.  The ST 60 will fly the crap out of your flite streak! y1

Steve, What about my Webra 1.2? Sounds like that could work.

CB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 08:10:15 AM »
You'll be pleased to see how well the plane performs on a variety of powerplants.
Bob Z.

Bob,

I flew them in the late 5os and early 60's.

Here I am in the Hobby Shop where I worked after school.

CB

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »
HI Charles,

If you cannot find a good OS .20FP, then get a .25LA.  The LA is currently available, and the ,20FP can be found pretty quick.  Brett Buck has a phenomenal set up that I use for the .20FP.  All stock and use the E-2030 muffler with the APC 9X4 prop.  Closest thing you can get to an actual pipe run with a muffler engine!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
Bill,

I followed your previous advice. I purchased an OS .20 FP.

Thing is, it had a R/C carb. I purchased a OS .20 venturi and it didn't fit?

In fact, stupid me, I already had one. Got two now!

Is there a bushing pressed into the case for the R/C carb that can be removed so the venturi fits?

The .20 looks like a small engine.  n~

Charles

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
Everthing above is true,BUT, n1 but back when they came out and all we had was kits we used Fox 35's on them for Sunday afternoon flying. The "we" is me and my friends. That "we" would be about ten guys. Those who wanted to go to combat contest made the nose stronger with better plywood and used hot combat motors.
 I never has a nose come off unless I crashed it. The nose can be made better than stock and I would do that now if I was going to build one. They are fast even with old worn out Fox35's on them. We used a the KaPac 2.3 ounce tank and it fit OK. For Combat I used what I thought was a better choice.  VD~
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »
Bill,

I followed your previous advice. I purchased an OS .20 FP.

Thing is, it had a R/C carb. I purchased a OS .20 venturi and it didn't fit?

In fact, stupid me, I already had one. Got two now!

Is there a bushing pressed into the case for the R/C carb that can be removed so the venturi fits?

The .20 looks like a small engine.  n~

Charles

Did you order the venturi from Tower?  If so, it is for the FP.  If you got it some where else it is probably for the old .20S.  Basically none of those parts swap.

The .20FP may look small but with the stated set up, it will more than power a Flite Streak.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
Kenneth Cook's ratty Streak powered by a Fox 35 Mark 111 on bladder is my all time favorite. I've owned and seen many. Own a few at the moment. None equal the raucous pure fun of that black and orange ugly mean bird. Always gets my attention. Love it. Even tho I've never even flown it. Why not. Come to think of it. I want to fly that thing, Ken. It's evident how a Streak configured like that was a competitive combat model, even against the first few generations of wings.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Steaks are combat birds meant to fly fast. I'm sick and tired of these planes being neutered into faux stunters. Yea. Well. I flew one in Classic at the NATs. But I have now seen the error of my ways. As far as the rest of you conspirators go. Geld something else.  n1

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »
Dennis,

I had a Johnson .35 on one of my FS and a Fox .35 on another.

I have no idea why I'm considering a OS LA .25 to fly this one?

Charles

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »
Dennis,

I had a Johnson .35 on one of my FS and a Fox .35 on another.

I have no idea why I'm considering a OS LA .25 to fly this one?

Charles

HI Charles,

With the development of engines over the past 20 years or so, the LA .25 run in a wet 2 is stronger than the Fox .35.  A better (easier) set up to run.  The old engines will not match the new ones in producing power.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
And an ENYA 25 or 30SS will produce as much power as the la  and will last about 10 times longer.
The Magnum 25 converted to CL will also produce more power than the OS and , with its true chrome, will last about 10 times longer than the OS LA

Randy

I flew many FS back when but I used ST G21-35s and FOX 36X , FOX 36BB, FOX 36 shiney case plain bearings, and Enya 35s
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:20:04 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »
I fly my Top Flite Flite Streaks (original kits) with the Fox .35 stunt and they do just fine.  The only other engine I would consider would be my 1958 Fox Blackhead Combat Special which would also be a reasonable choice since, George Aldrich, who designed this plane, designed it for that engine.  It is a great old time, nostalgia, backyard or schoolyard flier.......just my opinion........TDurrill    D>K    H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
And an ENYA 25 or 30SS will produce as much power as the la  and will last about 10 times longer.
The Magnum 25 converted to CL will also produce more power than the OS and , with its true chrome, will last about 10 times longer than the OS LA

Randy

I flew many FS back when but I used ST G21-35s and FOX 36X , FOX 36BB, FOX 36 shiney case plain bearings, and Enya 35s

On my first FS I used a needle bearing Fox .36X, 9-8 prop and Missle Mist.  It was quick........

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here