News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What synthetic oil to use in model airplane engines-not brand name.  (Read 1554 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
      Hi All:

What type of synthetic oil should I mix in my glow ruel? Today I looked at synthetic 2 cycle oils for motorcycles, outboards lawm equipment etc.  Will any or all of the synthetic two cycle oils suffice in our glow fuel mix?

What a bout a full synthetic oil made for automobiles, trucks etc? 

The cost of these oils vary from ok to OMG! Will they all work for our needs?

In the past I used Klotz and it was fine but I do not know if it is still available.

What about Amsoil synthetic?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What synthetic oil to use in model airplane engines-not brand name.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
Frank: I've used a mixture of Lucas synthetic 2-cycle oil and castor oil with excellent results.

Bob Z.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
I think,
as common sense the top quality is the MOTUL Micro 2T, from France.
My experiences say that we need not to bind ourselves to the esther - based synth oils (MOTUL is that), it is fully satisfactory in C/L stunt to use some  polyalkylene-glykol (PAG)  based oil. The difference is the heat-resistance: esther-based begins to degrade let us say, 50°C (centigrades) higher temperature. This is essential by helis or 1:8 cars, but not at all by us.
I do not use Castor oil since ca. 10 years, I am convinced that a modern ringed or ABC stunt engine does not need any plaque of resin/carbon (coming from castor) at the piston for long life, or good compression.
My private aspect: I spend too much time and invest too much works by making my own silencers, and I do not want to fight against the "gifts" of Castor...
(however the smell of castor smoke makes some warm, nostalgic feelings in my heart :)  )

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:54:39 PM »
Frank,

Klotz is still available. They have a range of different oils. Check it out at:

http://www.klotzlube.com/radio_control_.html

I am using both Benol in certain engines for the castor content and the original techniplate in ball-bearing engines with modern materials. Generally, I use a mix in the rest. I have ordered the  Benol by the case, direct.

As to your other enquiry, there are many, many opinions on oils, percentages, best mix of products, etc.  There is a really good article out there somewhere that I recall that discusses the nature of lubricants for model engines. I will see if I have it saved somewhere. By all means, read Randy's explanation of fuels.

I have heard folks use Motul in Europe. You can see "advertisements" on many racing cars for the brand. I don't think you are going to be able to "not discuss" brands, because most of the oil compounding companies are not going to tell you exactly what is in their oil, or how it was processed. In any event, they are all going to claim to have a unique additive package. Those additives may or may not help in our application.

I have doubts that using a synthetic crankcase oil designed for auto engines would be the most suitable for burning in a model engine. That said, I certainly never thought of doing so, have not looked up data sheets, have not tested it, and can't say it won't work. I'm sure you can get an engine to run using it, but what are the secondary considerations like wear rate, plug fouling or poisoning, etc.  Let us know if you try it!

Dave

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
Ok, I found the reference I could not recall earlier. It was an article by Dave Gierke. There is also a detailed article by John Kilsdonk. What I have is a synopsis of these done by Keith Trostle, which I probably took off the Stuka Stunt forum back in 2007. I have attached Keith's summary. Hopefully, that does not abuse forum etiquette.

With the author's names and access to the AMA archives you should be able to get to the Kilsdonk article.  I cannot, because I haven't been able to access the new AMA website since they made changes.

Now, I have to get back to sanding the filler on my buddy's airplane. It should be dry after reading Stunt Hanger and writing two posts....

Dave

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »
      Hi All:

What type of synthetic oil should I mix in my glow ruel? Today I looked at synthetic 2 cycle oils for motorcycles, outboards lawm equipment etc.  Will any or all of the synthetic two cycle oils suffice in our glow fuel mix?

What a bout a full synthetic oil made for automobiles, trucks etc? 

The cost of these oils vary from ok to OMG! Will they all work for our needs?

In the past I used Klotz and it was fine but I do not know if it is still available.

What about Amsoil synthetic?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Frank use  Klotz  it is  available  all over,  SIG   AMAZON  etc,  it is  not expensive  and you can buy it  as  all  synthetic   or  in 1/4 castor  ,  qts  or  gallons, 

Randy

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Original-TechniPlate-128-Ounce-Gallon/dp/B01M6B8YRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537574252&sr=8-1&keywords=Klotz+KL-205+Original+Techniplate    ($50+ free shipping)You can also get Klotz original from Sig @ $39 gallon/$9.95 shipping or if you buy 4 gallons of klotz/Castor/ or some of each, shipping is free
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 05:53:09 AM »
From Klotz oils, I find slightly better the HeliGlow #189. It has slightly lower viscosity which makes a noticeable diference in 4-2 shift and running symmetry. At least with ringed engines it’s better than their std synthetic. L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here