News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What plane would do this engine justice?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What plane would do this engine justice?
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
        Hello All:

While digging through a large stash of Cox 1/2A stuff for a charity donation, I came upon an engine that I know very little about.  The engine is marked AM on one side and .061 the other, it has an attached clear fuel tank, a spring starter, muffler, a black Cox 6-3 prop. a CL NVA and a muffler.  It has removable head button and tight pinch at TDC.

What is this engine and what plane would it haul around for stunt use? What size of lines should I use? Is it worth the bother of building a plane for should I just add it to the donation lot?

Suggestions/comments?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What plane would do this engine justice?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
1/2a Magacian... least thats what im gona put my Wasp .061 in :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
It's definitely a keeper! I use mine in my baby bi-slob.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »
That is a Norvel.  .061 displacement is 1cc.  The Norvel 1cc engines come in two versions, the Big Mig and the AMA.  They look the same on the outside.  The Big Mig is considered more of the sport version, the AMA is for higher performance, using pressure, like for Combat or getting even more power for the stunt ships and generally more critical on needle settings and starting.

They both like to run fast on high nitro fuel and are happy on smallish props.

You can tell the difference between the Big Mig and the AME version by removing the head and looking into the cylinder.  The Big Mig will have 5 small intake ports.  The AME will have 3 large intake ports.

Plug adapters and glo plugs are available from several sources.

Keith

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 09:55:43 AM »
      Hello All:

Thanks for the replies!

The engine in question has 5 ports.  Somebody in the past plumbed it for muffler pressure so may have been used. 

In my attic, I found the following kits:

Walker FireBee: it has a built up body, an 8"x24" foam wing and is designed to take a Cox engine with a tank ala Golden Bee.  Perhaps making it out of thicker wood than the 1/16" for the body and tail the .061 would work well in this airframe.

Ring master Jr.  I have one with a Cub .19 on and it flies well for a Cub .19

Ringmaster Flash About 230 sq. inch wing and was too small for a Fox .15 Sch.  Built up body .  Same wing as the RM Jr. ?

Flite Sreak Jr This appeals to me IF the .061 has enough power to perform the stunt patern.  I have flowh the full size FS with .15 Diesels, ST, and they did not have enough grunt to keep the lines tight in manuvers.

The one thing that I have to keep in mind is that these planes will be flown over grass which means hand launches and tumbling upon landing.  I have replaced wheels for skids on planes that have to be flown via hand launches and have exciting "landings."

Old profile P-40 that has a built up wing about 24" in span.  I flew one with a Cub .14 and it flew well for a Cub .14.

Be well,

Frank McCune

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here