News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is magic about the BBTU FP-20?  (Read 8024 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What is magic about the BBTU FP-20?
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »
I'm not arguing with the observed fact that it works.  I'm just getting all "engineerish" and wondering what the mechanism is.

I'm just curious if there's any engine experts out there that know what it is about the E-2030 muffler that when coupled with the FP-20 (or the LA-25, for that matter) makes the engine want to run at a constant speed.

I know there's internal baffling, and I've heard that removing it makes the muffler not do the job -- is the thing actually tuned like a tuned pipe?  If so, how come it works when it's so short?  Is it some harmonic effect?  Or is OS sacrificing a chicken for every muffler they make?

Or is it just that the muffler is free-flowing?  Do FP-20s have the "magic" when you don't run a muffler at all?  (I've certainly heard that they don't when you run a header pipe with holes tongue muffler).

And -- is this something that could be duplicated on some other engine, or is there some interaction between the port timing of the engines that it goes onto and the muffler that makes the magic happen?  For instance, if I put an E-2030 on a Veco 19*, does it work, or do you have to sacrifice a metric chicken for it to function?

* That's a rhetorical question - I don't have any Veco 19s.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: What is magic about the BBTU FP-20?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
I'm sure Brett will chime in shortly...all I can say is: when set up exactly as Brett says, they run perfectly "every"
time, run after run ( I have 3 I run and 3 NIB in case the other ones wear out)
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
Tim,
y understanding is that the specified pipe, and prop, allow a system to perform as a piped motor. IN fact what I have read says that muffler is in fact acting as a 1/4 wave pipe  with all the benefits inherant a piped motor system. I cannot vouch for it other than having flown one of my small birds that way for a little bit before I stepped up to FP 40s
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
There is no doubt that the E2030 muffler gives a tuned pipe style run on the FP 20. The "pipe" is non adjustable, so you need to tune the revs to the pipe. If it flies like a piped ship and even sounds a bit like a pipe, then it is a pipe!  The rest of the BBTU set up is really to ensure a decent fuel feed.
  OK all a bit tongue in cheek, but I don't think it is a 1/4 wave pipe, my crude back of an envelope calcs indicate it isn't a 1/4 wave system (although my calculations are known to be a bit dicey!). I suspect that it is an odd harmonic that is being fortuitously hit upon. I am not sure that even Brett has the theory nailed!
The odd thing to me is that an FP25 doesn't work nearly as well on the same E2030 muffler. I never could understand that, as the FP 25 is exactly the same as the FP20 except for the bore.........Very odd!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
After extensive reading about Magic Mufflers used for RC Pylon racing and MVVS mini pipes I am going to stick my neck out and say that the 'muffler' acts purely as a resonator or 'spring.'

And the volume of the chamber has been perfectly matched to the engines capacity by pure chance.

These types of power gaining pipes have a far wider power band than any other type and typically have an 'M' shaped power curve with the middle of the 'M' providing a comfortable plateau in which to operate.

Resonators work by stacking up pulses in phase and if you have ever driven down the highway with your car window open and experienced a pulsed booming effect that hurts your ears you will quickly realise the power of this effect.

Resonators care little about bends or reflective walls and are purely about volume, and its the volume that is giving the benefit here.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »

The odd thing to me is that an FP25 doesn't work nearly as well on the same E2030 muffler. I never could understand that, as the FP 25 is exactly the same as the FP20 except for the bore.........Very odd!

Regards,

Andrew.

The volumes are not matched, you will need to increase the volume of the chamber to match the increased volume of the 25 engine and I am fairly certain that you could modify the E-2030 muffler to suit - if you could spare the time to do so.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
After extensive reading about Magic Mufflers used for RC Pylon racing and MVVS mini pipes I am going to stick my neck out and say that the 'muffler' acts purely as a resonator or 'spring.'

Links?  Search terms?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
The volumes are not matched, you will need to increase the volume of the chamber to match the increased volume of the 25 engine and I am fairly certain that you could modify the E-2030 muffler to suit - if you could spare the time to do so.

The volume is not the key parameter. The key parameter is the distance to the reflecting surface.

The problem with the 25 seems to me to be (and bear in mind, this is just my guess) that it had enough additional power to rev past the tuning valley. The regulation works by depressing the power as the rpm rises. It's not a brick wall, even with conventional stunt pipe that works on the pretty strong first mode - you still get some power running at the bottom of the valley. If you ever get it unloaded enough, even the residual torque at that RPM is enough to permit it to move past the valley - at which point it becomes unstable, and the torque starts to *rise* with RPM again, as you jump to the next reflecting surface or node.

The muffler is particularly prone to this  because you are operating on the (as I recall) the 4th mode, which has both a weak tuning effect, and it's not that far to the 3rd mode. The 20, set up per recommendations, can't seem to get past the valley around 12000 rpm. The 25, set up similarly, has A LOT more power and even with the pipe 4th mode fighting you it can still get past, on to the next node, and sustain that. The result is it tends to "home in" on an rpm past where you want it to run with a 4" pitch prop, and run around the unstable point - it gets unloaded a little, runs past the valley, and then continues to rev until it runs out of poop. Then it gets loaded, gets dragged down *below* the valley, at which point it gets regulated at the normal RPM again. So you get a kind of conditionally stable system that will run great for a while, then too fast, then right. Or, it takes off, and then homes in a just a little too fast a speed.

That's why the 25 also needs sometimes needs a smaller venturi* - you need something else to kill the torque off as the RPM rises to keep the torque at, say, 12500 to a low enough level to it can't get past the valley. That also turns it into a pretty conventional motor, losing some of the advantage.

That's not to say it doesn't work. All of the small engines like this worked pretty well if you *ran them stock* and *in a two-stroke*, with appropriate props. They all were more than satisfactory for replacing Fox 35s on small profiles, which was the original goal. But the 20 was much nicer in terms of run quality and much more consistently reliable due to the tuning. Other than being teeny-tiny, the run quality ranks up there with the gold standard of stunt engines, the OS40VF.

Brett

p.s. *BTW, you can screw up the 20 run pretty easily by doing the OPPOSITE. If, you say, ream out the muffler outlet excessively and run a lot of nitro to "get more power", you can create enough power at the tuning valley to allow it, too, to run past on the unstable side of the valley and be on the *rising* section of the power curve instead of stable *falling* section - and then it has the same sorts of problems as the 25! You have to work at it, but you can screw up the 20 run  - just like all those people that make a living screwing up 40FP runs by using 40-year-old "common knowledge" . When someone calls or comes up to me with a 20FP problem, I almost always find that they have done something intended to either "get more power", "save weight", "get a real stunt run", or "swing some real lumber". I am not saying you might not be able to make it work by deviating from the plan but the solution to any run problem is to *put all the stock parts back on the way it came from Tower*.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
Links?  Search terms?

Hi Tim,
           this took years to find but basically anything about Ranjit Phelan (Magic Mufflers) and MVVS canister mufflers over at RC Universe will be of immense help but if you give me some time here I will endeavor to find some of what helped me come to my conclusion.

What I fear is being attacked over this as its only my opinion and if anyone has a better explanation about how engine volume works with muffler volume then I am all ears!

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
 The volume is not the key parameter. The key parameter is the distance to the reflecting surface.

Well with all due respect, I suppose that we agree to disagree mate.

My guess is still that volume is the key much more than any reflective surface.

With the MVVS style of folded pipe the volume or resonator part of the pipe initiates the power step and the reflective cone terminates or contains it.

No point containing what isn't generated in the first place, again, just my opinion.

If volume is not a key parameter then go ahead and change it just to see what happens.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
The muffler is particularly prone to this  because you are operating on the (as I recall) the 4th mode, which has both a weak tuning effect, and it's not that far to the 3rd mode. The 20, set up per recommendations, can't seem to get past the valley around 12000 rpm.

I guess that the 4th harmonic kinda makes sense (at least, comparing it to the numbers that JavaPipe coughs up).  If it's just a high harmonic of a tuned pipe keeping a lid on an engine that sort of wants to run at that RPM anyway...

Thanks.  That makes sense.

The 25, set up similarly, has A LOT more power and even with the pipe 4th mode fighting you it can still get past, on to the next node, and sustain that. The result is it tends to "home in" on an rpm past where you want it to run with a 4" pitch prop, and run around the unstable point - it gets unloaded a little, runs past the valley, and then continues to rev until it runs out of poop. Then it gets loaded, gets dragged down *below* the valley, at which point it gets regulated at the normal RPM again. So you get a kind of conditionally stable system that will run great for a while, then too fast, then right. Or, it takes off, and then homes in a just a little too fast a speed.

That's why the 25 also needs sometimes needs a smaller venturi* - you need something else to kill the torque off as the RPM rises to keep the torque at, say, 12500 to a low enough level to it can't get past the valley. That also turns it into a pretty conventional motor, losing some of the advantage.

Someone must have tried a 4" prop of larger than 'normal' diameter, and still not found joy, I assume.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:58:51 AM »
I guess that the 4th harmonic kinda makes sense (at least, comparing it to the numbers that JavaPipe coughs up).  If it's just a high harmonic of a tuned pipe keeping a lid on an engine that sort of wants to run at that RPM anyway...

Thanks.  That makes sense.

Someone must have tried a 4" prop of larger than 'normal' diameter, and still not found joy, I assume.

4" of pitch and more diameter = more speed or less RPM. More speed is too fast. Less RPM puts it off the ideal tuning range and you get too much RPM variation (or you are unable to draw fuel sufficiently). The very original experiments used 10-4 Tornados and Rev-Ups, and had the tendency to regulate reasonably well but always just a bit too fast, and you couldn't back off the needle to fix it - it would just pop right back to the same speed again. I remember Ted and I out on the Gilroy baseball field flying his Coyote/25FP/Tornado 10-4, and we would back off the needle every flight and it would respond on the ground, but then pop up to the same speed every time  If you had a draggy prop and a big enough airplane it was pretty decent. Just not at good as the 20.

If you can de-pitch it to can solve that, but the larger prop also changes load more, making it more prone to running up and down across the critical RPM range. It's more likely to work with less diameter than it is with more, since you can get the necessary RPM without too much speed. Unloading it is critical. Putting on more diameter

As I mentioned above, all of these small engines that I tried in this application worked pretty well with essentially no mods and with other props. So any of them are viable as they run. But the 20 stood out.

Brett

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »
I'm with Brett on this one.  Don't forget also that the temperature in the pipe affects the speed of sound, hence the way the return wave hits the the next charge coming out of the port.  A true pipe is a tuning device that is really only designed to work at a specific rpm to keep the next intake charge from being sucked out with the previous exhaust charge.  So, if all is ideal on the intake side, and the engine is happy with it, you'll get the exhaust up to the ideal temperature where the pipe is really working.  If it all happens to work out, you get a great run.  I'm not great at explaining this, but I know it works!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
HI Tim,

I think there has been a good bit of great thought exchanges in this thread.  The OS .20FP set up as Brett championed and furthered by Daniel Dirt actually happens to hit on a "perfect storm" as far as engine runs go.  It truly has a very real pipe style run.  While my lack of flying really limits my abilities in that area, I have experienced the perfect pipe run and know what it is.

I have no clue as to why this happens with the .20FP BBTU, but I applaud Brett for working around and finding it for us.  I just wish we could find the exact same set up in the .40-.46 range without having to actually use a pipe (such as for Classic use).  WE have some very good running set ups but none exactly like it.  (although an Aero Tiger .36 really works great!)

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
HI Tim,

I think there has been a good bit of great thought exchanges in this thread.  The OS .20FP set up as Brett championed and furthered by Daniel Dirt actually happens to hit on a "perfect storm" as far as engine runs go.  It truly has a very real pipe style run.  While my lack of flying really limits my abilities in that area, I have experienced the perfect pipe run and know what it is.

I have no clue as to why this happens with the .20FP BBTU, but I applaud Brett for working around and finding it for us.  I just wish we could find the exact same set up in the .40-.46 range without having to actually use a pipe (such as for Classic use).  WE have some very good running set ups but none exactly like it.  (although an Aero Tiger .36 really works great!)

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Actually, after reading Brett's post I got that warm fuzzy glow of confidence that comes from knowing just enough to be dangerous, and it makes me wonder if you could make a resonant muffler for a 40 to get a "pipe-ish" run at 12000, or some other RPM that is felicitous for the given motor.

I'm sure that actually trying this in practice would make me feel quite humble, but I also suspect that there are things you could do that would make a muffler have an even stronger impact on power vs. RPM than the E-2030, if you really wanted to spend time flogging it.

Brett has derided this suggestion before, but you could regulate the speed of a motor actively, by sensing the RPM and adjusting the throttle on an RC carb.  In fact, I think you could do it with a Hubin timer, an RC helicopter governor, a battery, a servo, and a wiring harness.  Whether there's enough merit to justify trying it, and whether you could fly such a plane in classic without getting lynched, is an open question.  I know that when I mentioned it before that Brett was pretty adamant that a humongous pipe residing in a fuselage with all sorts of structural compromises made to house it, with special needs for needle valve settings and a motor with rear exhaust, and all the other things you need to do to accommodate a pipe, was just automatically superior to anything that could be done with the aid of electrons.
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »
Hi Tim,

I vaguely remember someone talking about a "Mac's" header muffler that they used on either an FP 40 or LA 46.  Seems to have a similar if not exact effect on the engine run.  But, I cannot remember much about it.  To have an engine slightly speed up under load and slowing down when unloaded really helps things.  I guess that is what the governor on the electrics is what's working so good for them.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Hi Tim,

I vaguely remember someone talking about a "Mac's" header muffler that they used on either an FP 40 or LA 46.  Seems to have a similar if not exact effect on the engine run.  But, I cannot remember much about it.  To have an engine slightly speed up under load and slowing down when unloaded really helps things.  I guess that is what the governor on the electrics is what's working so good for them.

Yup.  And it's what a pipe does when you make it "too long" (from a racer's perspective) -- the boost from a pipe actually becomes a drag when you go overspeed, so if you put the boost at a lower speed than you want (and I'm not sure just how much lower it needs to be) then the pipe will help get you up to that lower speed, then start actively discouraging the engine from running faster, by increasing the back-pressure on the exhaust.
AMA 64232

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
As luck would have it, I have a fresh FP40 with a Macs pipe on it.  My hope is that it will control the rpm, preventing the runaway phenomenon.  I'll post my findings in a couple of weeks, once the snow melts off the field.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »
As luck would have it, I have a fresh FP40 with a Macs pipe on it.  My hope is that it will control the rpm, preventing the runaway phenomenon.  I'll post my findings in a couple of weeks, once the snow melts off the field.

Please let us know how it comes out.  Most of the time, retiming an OS .40FP kills too much power......  they might still be stronger than a Fox .35, but not as strong as desired.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
I hope Brett will weigh in, but I think a lot of the prescription for the newer motors is to run a flat prop on them and let them spin up -- the "run away" comes from running the motor slower than it wants to go, so that when it gets in the air and unloads --- ziiiiiiing!!!
AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Please let us know how it comes out.  Most of the time, retiming an OS .40FP kills too much power......  they might still be stronger than a Fox .35, but not as strong as desired.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

NO not necessarily true
I have done hundreds of these and they do not have a loss of power if done correctly, plus they run better and with a wider range of how you can run them.

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

NO not necessarily true
I have done hundreds of these and they do not have a loss of power if done correctly, plus they run better and with a wider range of how you can run them.

Randy

Which is exactly why I didn't say ALL the time.  Not everyone who retimes an engine knows what they are doing.  I know yours run very strong.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

This one is bone stock, and has the APC 10.5 x 4.25 prop, and I plan on letting it rev up.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 09:53:33 PM »
Brett has derided this suggestion before, but you could regulate the speed of a motor actively, by sensing the RPM and adjusting the throttle on an RC carb.  In fact, I think you could do it with a Hubin timer, an RC helicopter governor, a battery, a servo, and a wiring harness.  Whether there's enough merit to justify trying it, and whether you could fly such a plane in classic without getting lynched, is an open question.  I know that when I mentioned it before that Brett was pretty adamant that a humongous pipe residing in a fuselage with all sorts of structural compromises made to house it, with special needs for needle valve settings and a motor with rear exhaust, and all the other things you need to do to accommodate a pipe, was just automatically superior to anything that could be done with the aid of electrons.

No.  I said it was too slow, which I think it still is. It's not a matter of the control bandwidth, its a matter of the plant response. One way to find out, of course.

If you want to design a control system using an RC carb, please let's see the system. I would suggest that you start by defining and then validating, presumably through test, the plant model.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
If you want to design a control system using an RC carb, please let's see the system. I would suggest that you start by defining and then validating, presumably through test, the plant model.

I have that on my to-do list.  And I wouldn't trust a plant model that was generated in any way other than from empirical data.  I'm certainly not enough of a combustion scientist to model the engine behavior from first principals.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
I have that on my to-do list.  And I wouldn't trust a plant model that was generated in any way other than from empirical data.  I'm certainly not enough of a combustion scientist to model the engine behavior from first principals.

That's an exceedingly difficult test problem. Assuming you get that solved,  I think you will find that the combination is far slower than you need. If you want bandwidths in the realm of a a Hz. or so, it will work.  It you want it to match the effective bandwidth of pipe regulation (hundreds of Hz), you will have big problems, I think.  I would suggest you look into an exhaust throttle instead. There are still some slow thermal poles but nothing like the problems of trying to control fairly viscous fluids through tiny orfices and get 200 hz out of it. And assuming you can design a stable sampled-data system, you are talking something like a 2000 Hz sample rate minimum. Not impossible but difficult.

Hence my previous comment - for the 3-4 oz it costs for a piped system, you will have a damn difficult time beating it.

Somewhat off-topic, I read your paper.  It was pretty good. I would have been tempted to explain *why* it works as you describe.   But there's always a matter of where to draw the line on something like that.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
Which paper?  If it's "PID Without a PhD", I was working under a 5000 word limit, and practical experience that indicated that if I dove too deeply into the math I'd lose half my audience.  I would have loved to have a "why" section in there, though.

(Come to think of it, that applies to most of the white papers I've written -- I try for enough information that people can get practical results, but not so much that they don't come back for the after-lunch part of the talk).
AMA 64232

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
I am still at a loss here to understand exactly how a 'T' shaped expansion chamber can act as an acoustically based power boosting and limiting pipe.

Surely the first reflective wall, in this case the side if the chamber and not its end, determines the distance any acoustic wave must travel and this in this case it is extremely short. In fact too short even for a 1/4 wave to act properly.
MAAA AUS 73427

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
I am still at a loss here to understand exactly how a 'T' shaped expansion chamber can act as an acoustically based power boosting and limiting pipe.

Surely the first reflective wall, in this case the side if the chamber and not its end, determines the distance any acoustic wave must travel and this in this case it is extremely short. In fact too short even for a 1/4 wave to act properly.

All the walls reflect. It's like shouting into a canyon, the sound radiates and the comes back from numerous reflecting surfaces. My theory is that the reflection that we are using is the tail cone. Noise comes out, rattles around, the reflection from the tail cone comes back, bounces off the far side of the cylinder, back out the port, back to the tail cone, etc. 4 times before it finally comes back about the time the exhaust port is closing, thus packing the cylinder. It likes that one better than the others because its the lowest mode number and thus the least damping. All the higher-frequency reflections are on much higher modes and this have largely died out into white noise.

A typical "stunt pipe" as used on regular airplanes has 2-3 baffles. You shout into it once, and it says "hello" 3-4 times on the first mode.  Frank Williams has a plot of the resulting torque peaks/valleys.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
   All the walls reflect. It's like shouting into a canyon, the sound radiates and the comes back from numerous reflecting surfaces. My theory is that the reflection that we are using is the tail cone. Noise comes out, rattles around, the reflection from the tail cone comes back, bounces off the far side of the cylinder, back out the port, back to the tail cone, etc. 4 times before it finally comes back about the time the exhaust port is closing, thus packing the cylinder. It likes that one better than the others because its the lowest mode number and thus the least damping. All the higher-frequency reflections are on much higher modes and this have largely died out into white noise.

That's what I assumed, once you pointed it out.

Chris: this does make sense, really.  The exhaust into the muffler would create a high pressure at the forward end of the tube, which would reflect back to the baffle, then rattle back and forth four times, and (one presumes) be stuffing the exhaust back in just as the piston starts its upstroke (which is what you want for "turbocharge" effect).  The length works out right, too.  The effect is going to be spread out and attenuated by all the bouncing, but if the motor kinda wants to go that speed anyway, then the muffler would reinforce it.

A typical "stunt pipe" as used on regular airplanes has 2-3 baffles. You shout into it once, and it says "hello" 3-4 times on the first mode.  Frank Williams has a plot of the resulting torque peaks/valleys.

Huh.  You'd think that if speed regulation were the be-all end-all, that it'd have one baffle, with a sharp slope.  Clearly there's more going on here than my simple mind can cook up on its own.

You do mean multiple baffles at the end, and aren't referring to the initial widening for extraction, yes?
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
Huh.  You'd think that if speed regulation were the be-all end-all, that it'd have one baffle, with a sharp slope.  Clearly there's more going on here than my simple mind can cook up on its own.

You do mean multiple baffles at the end, and aren't referring to the initial widening for extraction, yes?

Yes, multiple baffles at the reflecting end, more or less. In fact, you can tune it to work at any of these return peaks. At the 96 NATs, I think Geiseke was running something like 15.75", I was running ~17, and others were using Paul's 18.75"  - all at about the same RPM. Not coincidentally, the differences between the baffle positions and the tail cone are spaced out around the same distances apart. Paul's is the most stable because it can't tune to any higher revs - all the other reflections are at lower revs.  Bear's and mine could possibly jump to a higher-speed tuning peak if it got far enough off.

If you get it the wrong length, it can jump from one to the next with unsatisfactory results. That's why most beginning piped engine users get in trouble at some point - they figure every run issue they have is solved by adjusting the pipe length, when in fact the length is the most predictable variable in the system. 18.5" on a Randy/Billy "40" pipe returns the same wave on my engine as it does everyone else's!

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
I agree that all walls reflect (but they can also absorb) but reflect where exactly? And they must a have a focus in order to exhibit any real action.

Just try standing at a corridored 'T' junction inside a solid building and shout at it, the only reflection from an acoustic wave will be given from the small section of wall directly in front of you and that is hardly focused towards you. Nothings angles or aims the sound waves down towards the 'T' of the pipes exit or front.
The closed side branches are simply resonators that can either attenuate or enhance the sound waves due to pressure build ups.
And standing at a 'T' junction, shouting into an enlarged room with side branches attached is even worse in regards to gaining focus.

The design is not like a Magic muffler, MVVS pipe or Nelson side mount design with its internal constant wall tubing, external resonator volume and rear focusing cone.

I am not expert on this and I think that we will grab the truth that looks the most familiar at the time but further reading can be found regarding resonators in car intake systems, its the volume and not the shape that gives focused benefit with sound pressure.

With sound waves you most definitely need shape and length not volume.

Before we go further, we are all agreed that there is a massive difference between sound pressure and sound waves aren't we?
And especially so in a pulsed and timed system.

Anyway I admit that I am rapidly getting out of my depth here.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
I see that Steve Wilk includes a 9 x 3.5" CF prop in his Eliminator Props list (see Vendor's Corner), which is presumably repitchable since it's CF.  Not sure if Randy carries anything that small.  

Edit: Steve also lists 9.5 x 4" and 10 x 3.5."

A prop like this might have helped Brett and Ted with the Coyote/.25.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

Never seen a 20FP BBTU in action and I wonder how this Enya SS30 running an APC 10.5x4.5 compares with it as far as speed control

I can fly the pattern with this thing in some unbelievable wind and turbulence conditions. The Enya SS30 is available and it is quite lighter then the OS 20FP.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 05:51:27 AM »
Never seen a 20FP BBTU in action and I wonder how this Enya SS30 running an APC 10.5x4.5 compares with it as far as speed control

I can fly the pattern with this thing in some unbelievable wind and turbulence conditions. The Enya SS30 is available and it is quite lighter then the OS 20FP.

I really have no idea. Most of the Enya's I have seen are very mediocre performers but I haven't tried any recent models. One of the reasons I wound up testing with a Skyray instead of a Flite Streak was that I happened to have Skyray plans  - because I had to rebuild an airplane I crashed (not mine, very embarrassing) test-flying it. It had an Enya 30 of some sort and it performed very poorly, to the point I got in a "coffin corner". That was around 20 years ago, so no idea what relationship that has with current engines.

I have no particular reason to "push" the 20FP, aside from the fact that it worked a lot better than any of the other similar engines I have tried. I have said repeatedly that the experiments I did are ripe for repetition with currently-available engines. The parameters should be:

current production engines
run in a rich 2-stroke
Use no more than 4" of pitch
use standard and commonly available fuel/prop/tanks
run them bone-stock and optimize them for that before undertaking ANY tweaks or mods, including stock muffler
Evaluate them on profiles around the size of a Flite Streak or Skyray 35
Evaluate performance WRT current common piped stunt engines (not 50-year-old slag motors)

I assure you that I am very unlikely to do this again, but there are plenty of others who can take up the work.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 05:59:55 AM »
I see that Steve Wilk includes a 9 x 3.5" CF prop in his Eliminator Props list (see Vendor's Corner), which is presumably repitchable since it's CF.  Not sure if Randy carries anything that small.  

Edit: Steve also lists 9.5 x 4" and 10 x 3.5."

A prop like this might have helped Brett and Ted with the Coyote/.25.

Repitching it lower helps. That's how Uncle Jimby keeps his 20-Point Ringmaster to subsonic speeds with the 20.

I reject that for this approach because the prop ends up costing more than the engine or airplane, and not everybody had a pitch gauge or the knowledge to use it wisely.

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »
The LA 46, 1/4 in. venturi, runs very similarly, as long as you don't put too much prop on it.  The muffler also seems to be tuned to 11,000 rpm or so, so a 4 pitch prop works.  The FP20 is also running roughly midway between its torque peak, around 9500-10,000 rpm and the peak rpm around 13-14,000 rpm.  Keeping the motor running in its sweet spot by adjusting the venturi size, prop, and if necessary the combustion chamber size is the key.
phil Cartier

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
I will say I have seen the FP 20 run, per Brett  and  I would put the Enya 25 and 30SS  up against it any time,  The Enya 20 is also good.
Now this is NOT a knock on the FP ,This is not to say the 20 does not run well , it is a statement on how well the Enya 25 and 30SS can be setup to run. I have also been told the Enya 20  works very well too. and the 30SS will pull a Nobler with ease. It maybe would need to be setup more carefully with a plane as small as a SKYRAY.
But watching Martin's video it seems that would not be hard to do.

Randy

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »
Hi Randy,

Thank you for answering my question. I had a feeling that what I got was as good as or better then the "Magic" OS 20FP.  My engine is Stock, 7.0mm venturi, Stock muffler,  apc 10.5x4.5,  off the shelf Byron 10/20 fuel, 4Oz plastic R/C tank w uniflow and no muffler pressure. The Ringmaster wiith it's thin wing is a great plataform to evaluate the true speed control of an engine. I like flying the RM fast, but thanks to a wide needle range I can go faster or much slower.

Martin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:35 AM »
I have no doubt that the new Enyas will run good.  It's just that the FP 20 has been in use now for a while and good used ones can be had fairly cheap.  For the beginner/rising pilot, it is an almost fool proof set up.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »
I have no doubt that the new Enyas will run good.  It's just that the FP 20 has been in use now for a while and good used ones can be had fairly cheap.  For the beginner/rising pilot, it is an almost fool proof set up.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Bill

The Enyas SS series are not new, they have been around for decades, our Bud Bobba Hunt and Rob used a 25SS on the RD-1 type profile many many years ago, as did many other people.
Plus you can do the same with the decades old Enya 20

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
Hi Randy,

Now that you mention it, I remember Bob talking about the Enya in the RD-1 series articles.

Aaron used the Webra .28 that Bob sent him in his RD-1.  Same one that was originally in the Tucker Special.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »
Thank you for answering my question. I had a feeling that what I got was as good as or better then the "Magic" OS 20FP

As always happens when this topic comes up, a bunch of people come in and say their pet engine must be better. Maybe it is! I have no idea. All I know is that the quality of run on the 20FP is better than almost all full-bore piped systems and is much more reliably that way than some very-well-known and extremely expensive piped systems, at least the way most people run them.  But if you want to use something else, it certainly makes no difference to me.

I do know this - that my buddies and I (who are generally pretty knowledgeable) have spent absolutely endless hours trying to get this sort of run on other engines and frequently failing to get it. All you need to know to get this run with a 20FP is how to open the box.

Brett

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
Brett,

You sound jealous about your Pet Project  ;D

Go back to the first post: "And -- is this something that could be duplicated on some other engine?"

I have been very successful running Enya Engines, none of mine or of my friends, are mediocre performers as you put it, quite the contrary, we compete against any power system and we feel we have the power advantage in very windy days.

Enya have always cared about the C/L market and has over 20 models that comes with a venturi, they are built with top notch metalurgy and are legendary for their durability. Enya never lies about chroming or HP numbers, never had a case o nickle plate peeling,  like we have seen from other brands!

Also, most of them are the lightest one or very close to lightest ones in the market.

Enya engines are worth the time to find that "Magic" tune pipe like setup, most of them have a total exhaust time around 144o

Martin

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
     As always happens when this topic comes up, a bunch of people come in and say their pet engine must be better. Maybe it is! I have no idea. All I know is that the quality of run on the 20FP is better than almost all full-bore piped systems and is much more reliably that way than some very-well-known and extremely expensive piped systems, at least the way most people run them.  But if you want to use something else, it certainly makes no difference to me.

I do know this - that my buddies and I (who are generally pretty knowledgeable) have spent absolutely endless hours trying to get this sort of run on other engines and frequently failing to get it. All you need to know to get this run with a 20FP is how to open the box.

Brett

Maybe go back and read my post??

"Now this is NOT a knock on the FP ,This is not to say the 20 does not run well , it is a statement on how well the Enya 25 and 30SS can be setup to run."

The FP20 setup runs well, I posted about engines that also run very well and are in production, and can be bought and parts are still made for.

Randy

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »

......I do know this - that my buddies and I (who are generally pretty knowledgeable) have spent absolutely endless hours trying to get this sort of run on other engines and frequently failing to get it. All you need to know to get this run with a 20FP is how to open the box.

Brett

Maybe go back and read my post??

"Now this is NOT a knock on the FP ,This is not to say the 20 does not run well , it is a statement on how well the Enya 25 and 30SS can be setup to run."

The FP20 setup runs well, I posted about engines that also run very well and are in production, and can be bought and parts are still made for.

Randy

Maybe a list of the other engines Brett and co. spent "absolutely endless hours" testing would help clear the air.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
Brett,

You sound jealous about your Pet Project  ;D

Go back to the first post: "And -- is this something that could be duplicated on some other engine?"

I have been very successful running Enya Engines, none of mine or of my friends, are mediocre performers as you put it, quite the contrary, we compete against any power system and we feel we have the power advantage in very windy days.

I have no idea what you are running and at this point don't really care. Lots of people complain that a Fox 35 is a great motor, too, and how dare I challenge it.

You are the one who brought off-topic engines into the discussion, not me. I was trying to explain how to run a 20FP and why I think it works that way because *that's what the thread is about*. I was answering the question asked.

I *am* little tired of this after getting this sort of nonsense for close to 20 years now. I did a lot of work on this and I thought it was worth doing.  A lot of people have benefitted from my fairly extensive experiments. It runs better on average that many commonly-run piped engines. If you think you can do better then fine by me. Just do your own experiments and post the results in your own thread. I don't need to take a lot of crap over it.

Brett

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »

Easy fella, no one is off topic here and don't get things in the wrong way I am a big admire of you, I even have a NATS 2006 T shirt with your autograph :)

The Topic is about the - Magic - of the 20FP and it was also questioned if that can be done with OTHER engines so I just put my video and ask how the Enya SS30  compares with the 20FP kind of run. I had hoped for your comments and perhaps even help me to improve it.

I also spend lots and lots of hours testing engines and helping others with their setup to get that slow mo feeling, ain't that fun?

I am greatfull for all the tricks and tips you share with us and I sure use quite a bit of them. As matter of fact I end up spending quite a bit of time to get me 2 OS 20FP from EBay many moons ago when I first learn about it, still have one. Recently I got a Rojett 61BB which I hope you will help me when I start using it.

I just did not have the chance to try the OS 20FP. I gave preference for the Enya SS30 because it was lighter and it had more CUs.

Martin

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I *am* little tired of this after getting this sort of nonsense for close to 20 years now. I did a lot of work on this and I thought it was worth doing.  A lot of people have benefitted from my fairly extensive experiments. It runs better on average that many commonly-run piped engines. If you think you can do better then fine by me. Just do your own experiments and post the results in your own thread. I don't need to take a lot of crap over it.

Brett

Brett

What you need do is to take a breath and relax, There is no one here on the thread giving you any crap. There is also no one  here knocking you, your setup, your work, or the run of the FP 20 per your setup, you are getting your feelings hurt for no reason at all. Just because  other similar engines were mentioned by Martin, and then by me is not any slight of you, and there was/Is  nothing wrong with posting that info on this thread. And no one even remotely suggested  that your setup on the Fp 20 does not work great and as advertised.

Regards
Randy

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
I haven't read all of this because I thought it was all done and dusted.
However, reading some of it I have decided I must move my 25FP on and get a 20FP. I had assumed the two would be similar.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
I haven't read all of this because I thought it was all done and dusted.
However, reading some of it I have decided I must move my 25FP on and get a 20FP. I had assumed the two would be similar.

Hi Ian

NO they are not the same ,and do not give the same run, if you go back and read back up the this thread Brett explains the differance and how much better the quality of run is on the 20.

Randy

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
And (trying to get the thread back on track) no mention of the LA 25 in this discussion as per the original post?

Though there was a mention back there of the heat of a tuned (or acoustic based pipe being based on the speed of sound) effecting how it runs and as far as I know heat will not effect a resonance based pipe to any great extent.

Perhaps a further clue as to which mechanism the muffler works under?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
And (trying to get the thread back on track) no mention of the LA 25 in this discussion as per the original post?

I'm curious about that, too.

Though there was a mention back there of the heat of a tuned (or acoustic based pipe being based on the speed of sound) effecting how it runs and as far as I know heat will not effect a resonance based pipe to any great extent.

Perhaps a further clue as to which mechanism the muffler works under?

The speed of sound changes with temperature.  So while the temperature of the pipe doesn't directly affect the run, the temperature of the gas inside the pipe does, and a hot pipe will let the gases inside retain their heat.  Apparently, wrapping your exhaust in an insulating blanket is one of the easy ways to change the tuned RPM of a motorcycle exhaust.
AMA 64232

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
Hello Brett,
You may not be watching this thread and I can't blame you for that! However my query is a variation on the FP20 BBTU. You have explained why the FP25 doesn't work in this set up. If you load the FP25 with a bigger prop. then maybe you can constrain it from jumping above the "pipes" rev band? Alternatively from your knowledge of the E2030, would there be a reflective surface that would work at a higher rpm?
  I realise that it is all a bit academic as both the FP20 and 25 can only be had second hand. You have often said that you would not be prepared to go through the exercise with a selection of more modern engines and I can understand that! I suppose my query is related to me enjoying challenges and playing with engines. If I could get either of my suggested alternatives to work, I may be sufficiently enthused to have a look at some available engines. The above two possibilities look as though they may have some merit for a tinkerer such as myself to play with. Anything drastically wrong with the two alternatives? No point trying to reinvent the wheel and getting despondent first time off!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:59 AM »
A possible consideration could be the difference in the cylinder volume versus the port area.  The ports are the same size and shape but the volume of the cylinder for the FP 25 would be quite a bit larger.  Just a thought.

At any rate thanks to Brett and Randy and all those guys save me time and money through their efforts.  You can get these 20 FP's at swap meets and parts are still avaialable.     

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
It has me wondering if I could make my SSR go faster by substituting its FP-25 for an FP-20 w/appropriate muffler... tuna pipe effect and all that. Well, only one way to find out.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
It has me wondering if I could make my SSR go faster by substituting its FP-25 for an FP-20 w/appropriate muffler... tuna pipe effect and all that. Well, only one way to find out.  8)
If I'm reading Brett's comments correctly, your SSR would go a bit slower, but the engine run would be dead steady all the time.
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 08:08:13 PM »

The OS .20FP BBTU doesn't increase power, it regulates the run.  A governor effect.  You're gonna get more speed with the OS .25FP. ;D

BIG Bear 
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
The OS .20FP BBTU doesn't increase power .............

BIG Bear 
RNMM/AMM

Hi Bill,
          But the use of the run away prone OS .20FP increased it in the first place.
To me the use of any tuned system allows the use of a higher powered engine that would normally be unusable.

I think that piped stunt engines do operate at a higher power than their non tuned stunt cousins and the trick is that it is sustainable without the need to resort to power robbing devices like small exhaust outlets, higher oil contents, higher pitch, smaller venturis and filters, smaller ports etc.

Put it this way, all things being equal would a successful non tuned exhaust stunt engine have more or less power than one with a tuned system?
I am going to back the tuned system to be more powerful every time because the pipe allows the engine to operate closer to its peak power for longer.

If this wasn't so then I doubt that tuned systems would be entertained as much as they are now.

MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
I agree, Chris.  The engine does produce more power simply by being allowed to run in its happy band.  But shortly after putting pipes in stunters, my understanding is that the power boost most people think of in using a tuned pipe was less important than the governor effect the pipe can produce.  There is plenty of power there, so it just needs to be regulated to brake the engine when it wants to make more power then is needed, etc..

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »
The LA 46, 1/4 in. venturi, runs very similarly, as long as you don't put too much prop on it.  The muffler also seems to be tuned to 11,000 rpm or so, so a 4 pitch prop works.  The FP20 is also running roughly midway between its torque peak, around 9500-10,000 rpm and the peak rpm around 13-14,000 rpm.  Keeping the motor running in its sweet spot by adjusting the venturi size, prop, and if necessary the combustion chamber size is the key.
Hey Phil: 
In the LA 46 setup you are talking about here, are you using the stock muffler ?
If so do you know the number of the muffler ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Just a short quote from a world renown acoustic engineer and pylon racer -

http://www.f2d.dk/noise/noisefreq.htm

"Some mufflers do actually amplify the noise at the critical frequencies!
This is probably a resonance effect that will let the muffler work as a tune pipe. It will give the engine a higher power but this type of muffler will not reduce the noise."

Resonance seems to be little understood as a power enhancing device.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here