News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:49:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What engine is this?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Gene LaFaille

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
What engine is this?
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:13:04 PM »
A flying buddy needs an engine for his Brodak Shoestring (Goldberg), I was thinking of giving him this one or an Enya 29 model 5224 that I also have.  This one looks a bit smaller than the Enya and I'm guessing it's lighter too.

This engine was gifted to me years ago by a gentleman that said is was a Fox and was one of several damaged in a flood at the factory.  Fox inspected/repaired the engines and then ground off any markings and sold them as "seconds", at the factory only.  I'm not sure if the story is true, and not real sure of the size although it appears it could be something around a .20 or .25.  I have run the engine and it seems strong.  It's doesn't look like any Fox I can remember.

Anyone heard any stories about flood damaged engines?  Does this engine look familiar to you?  Would it work well on a Shoestring or should I give him the Enya 29?  By the way we live in Prescott, Az which is at 5000ft elevation so slightly over powered is OK.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:31:36 PM by Gene LaFaille »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: What engine is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
A FOX 19 or 25 B B .  Giveaways the schneurle fox 19/25 intake . 7.5 mm bore ?????????

http://foxmodelmotors.com/engines/25bb/26.htm

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Fox%2019BB%20RC%20%281%29.html

Likely a 9 x 4 or 10 x 4 prop , if the planes light . or trim a 10 x 5 ? . maybe .

Depends on if it needs noseweight , muffler availabilty etc etc . Could givem both , if mounts interchange .

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 03:59:08 AM »
Hello  The Fox 19BB or 25 are a nice running engine, still have a pair of 19's on some old combat wings. Also used one on a trainer about the size of a Goldberg Shoestring and it went well . The 25 had the displacement stamped on the lug but the Fox brand was not shown anywhere on the case. Factory mufflers still available from Mecoa.

Regards Gerald

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 07:54:45 AM »
I would get a good NVA for it then it would be a good set up. At least put some heavy grease on the needle threads. I've got the .19 and it has a different head so yours might be a .25.

Motorman 8)

Offline Gene LaFaille

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 09:54:40 PM »
Thank you everyone for the info. 

I measured the bore and confirmed that it is a .25.  It didn’t come with a muffler and a new one from Mecoa is expensive.  I’ll try to find one at a local swap meet.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here