News:

• June 16, 2024, 10:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS FP 40 viable as stunt motor?  (Read 897 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS FP 40 viable as stunt motor?
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »
Don't hear much about the venerable OS FP 40S. I have one that was worked on by Lew Woolard probably 20 years ago with little run time beyond a careful break-in per Lew's instructions. Is thus motor considered usable for stunt? I recall hearing about run-aways and other problems but maybe with modern thinking on low-pitch props and RPM range, it would be more suitable? Don't recall at this point what Lew did to the motor, port height maybe.

I have an LA 40S that runs fine for me with low pitch prop, though not as user friendly as the LA 46, but maybe the same thing applies to the FP 40? People seem to disdain the LA 40S but maybe have not given it a fair chance.

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: OS FP 40 viable as stunt motor?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
Hi Mike,

I would say that since Lew reworked yours it will be suitable for stunt.  More of a classic 4-2 run style but higher rpm range than the Fox .35.  I ran a Top Flite 11-5 cut too a 10 1/2 X 5.  Very consistent high rpm 4-2 run.

All of the runaway problems and such were coming from people trying to run the FP in the same range as a Fox 35.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here