News:

• May 17, 2024, 06:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reworked engine results.  (Read 144 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Reworked engine results.
« on: Yesterday at 10:28:06 AM »
  Just for my information; what are the improvements hoped for by having someone knowledgeable rework an OS .46LA?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Reworked engine results.
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:09:08 AM »
   The term "Re-Worked" is the problem inmost cases. I have said before, of all the engines that I have gotten from Tom Lay, that were what a lot of people would call "reworked", were just more of a dedicated set up and maximizing fits than anything else. Tom never retimed anything I got from him, just installed a venturi, checked bearings, made sure of piston/liner/piston ring fit. His venturis were restrictor style, which required the case to be drilled on some Super Tigers. He would heat treat pistons and rings for better wear and seal. But if you had just installed the engine in an airplane with factory venturi set up, and fed it proper fuel, it would have performed satisfactorily for most pilots. I have neve run a "reworked" LA.46 because I can get them to run well stock out of the box. Same with the LA.40 and the FP-40. The Hemi head is something that guys like, and it gives a certain sound to the run I think, but in of itself I don't think it's a game changer, but when used with some other changes it gives a satisfying run.  I guess it depends on what you want out of the engine.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:47:25 PM »
  Just for my information; what are the improvements hoped for by having someone knowledgeable rework an OS .46LA?

While I could be missing some rare exceptions, “rework 46LA” and “knowledgable” are contradictory concepts.

Most rework is intended to make the 46LA run at low revs with large low-pitched props in 4-2 break mode. That basically turns it into a shinier, more consistent but very weak, ST46. If someone wants that, they can just get an ST46 or Stalker, and leave the 46LA for someone who appreciates the tremendous performance improvement from running modern engines at relatively high revs and low pitch.

Almost every “reworked 46LA” I have seen, even well-known reworkers, have less power than a strong Fox 35. I am sure they mean well and are just trying to help, but….

Brett

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:34:45 PM »
Rework can mean anything. If the tuner doesn't know the application you can run into some trouble. For me the expected result is to match the power level to the air frame and still get the type of engine run you want.

Most of the time rework means lowering the compression ratio and installing a PA NVA both of which reduce power a good bit as noted above.

I think the compression is just fine on the LA46 but the head is a raw casting. I just lightly skim it with a special form tool I made to smooth and polish the combustion chamber. Helps with fuel economy and no real loss of compression. 

LA46 is very tunable and can be made to produce more power with a couple of simple mods to the intake timing and piston skirt. If you're putting one on a Twister you can tune it for less power with venturi size.

You can use a metal backplate or use sealer on the factory backplate with flat washers under the bolts. The expected result there would be no air leaks. I like socket head cap screws but the JIX screws are good if you have the right driver.

Not much you really need to do with the LA46, it runs great right out of the box.

MM 8)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:12:42 PM by Motorman »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here