News:

• June 02, 2024, 04:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are these plugs ok for stunt?  (Read 439 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Are these plugs ok for stunt?
« on: May 26, 2024, 11:17:30 PM »
Can anyone tell me if Fox Rc long 2volt plugs will work on 35 and larger stunt engines?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Are these plugs ok for stunt?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 02:16:59 PM »
They should, depending on when they were made will determine if they are any good or not. Fox plugs toward the end were just plain BAD! I had a flying budy who came out to the flying field once with 6 brand new Fox plugs, R/C Longs I think because that's what I told him I run. They each last a total of one flight and would not relight again. They seemed to run OK, just for one flight! What kind of package are they in? That may help date them and the price. With the glow plug situation the way it is today, they are worth a try at least for  sport flying.
 Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 02:24:57 PM »
           The only engines I ever seen 2v Fox plugs being used in were on higher performance engines. That being said, I would also assume these engines were also using slightly higher than stunt fuel nitro. The 2v Fox had a heavier element and could sustain more abuse over the standards R/C longs. My only concern would be the plug cooling off due to the use of stunt fuels. 

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 06:41:27 PM »
The guy just said they were new, but really old. I will ask him for a part number or photo

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 07:52:43 PM »
The guy just said they were new, but really old. I will ask him for a part number or photo

I don't know about part numbers and such as related to what vintage they are. The later ones were in a sort of orangish and yellow package and price would have been say, 6 to 8 bucks or so. The older ones with a red, white and blue package are mid to late 70's, BiCentennial time. Anything that just looks older than that may be OK, as I have heard that from people on the forums here. In my early days, I pretty much bought what was cheapest. As I leaned more about engines and how they run and how the plug affects that, I heard about Glow Devil R/C Longs and once I experienced those, I didn't mind price too much because I knew it was a quality plug, would give me a good run, and would last the same as 3 or 4 of the cheap ones like Fox.  That was a long time ago!!
    A real Fox nut would know by the 2 volt designation,  I think. I  don't know how long they produced those, especially when the nicad ignitors came along, and they probably would light one at only 1.25 volts. If I find the energy to get downstairs ( and more importantly, get back upstairs!!) I'll check some old SIG catalogs to see what I can find in those.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 12:14:35 AM »
    I don't know about part numbers and such as related to what vintage they are. The later ones were in a sort of orangish and yellow package and price would have been say, 6 to 8 bucks or so. The older ones with a red, white and blue package are mid to late 70's, BiCentennial time. Anything that just looks older than that may be OK, as I have heard that from people on the forums here. In my early days, I pretty much bought what was cheapest. As I leaned more about engines and how they run and how the plug affects that, I heard about Glow Devil R/C Longs and once I experienced those, I didn't mind price too much because I knew it was a quality plug, would give me a good run, and would last the same as 3 or 4 of the cheap ones like Fox.  That was a long time ago!!
    A real Fox nut would know by the 2 volt designation,  I think. I  don't know how long they produced those, especially when the nicad ignitors came along, and they probably would light one at only 1.25 volts. If I find the energy to get downstairs ( and more importantly, get back upstairs!!) I'll check some old SIG catalogs to see what I can find in those.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
Thanks Dan. The other question was idle bars. I've always used them. Would you ever buy or use a plug without them for stunt? Still waiting for a reply from the seller on the 2v fox plugs.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 09:09:18 AM »
Thanks Dan. The other question was idle bars. I've always used them. Would you ever buy or use a plug without them for stunt? Still waiting for a reply from the seller on the 2v fox plugs.

I stated using the idle bar when I was introduced to the Glow Devil R/C long, and about the same time, saw a few examples of how carbon can attach to the idle bar and grow there, instead of getting into the coil. it made sense to me that the idle bar can protect the coil to an extent, so have continued the practice for the most part. With the way glow plug availability is these days, I would use a standard for a sport model or foo-foo airplane just to save GD R/C Longs for my "good stuff"!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2024, 11:42:48 PM »
Thanks Dan!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here