News:

• May 20, 2024, 08:34:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BUY A NEW ONE OR BUILD A NEW ONE?  (Read 729 times)

Offline steve pagano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
BUY A NEW ONE OR BUILD A NEW ONE?
« on: June 25, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
     Would it make sense to take an engine that is run down and beatin up and put new parts into it like piston sleeves and all of that stuff or is it just cheaper and easier to buy another engine from the start?

I ask because i also have a radio controlled nitro car and when my engine wears out i just buy a new sleeve and piston Which makes it run like new!
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
Re: BUY A NEW ONE OR BUILD A NEW ONE?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
     Would it make sense to take an engine that is run down and beatin up and put new parts into it like piston sleeves and all of that stuff or is it just cheaper and easier to buy another engine from the start?

I ask because i also have a radio controlled nitro car and when my engine wears out i just buy a new sleeve and piston Which makes it run like new!

I guess it depends on the engine...  Some engines cost more to fix than they are worth.

Engines is cheap these days.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:24:40 PM »
I guess it depends on the engine...  Some engines cost more to fix than they are worth.

Engines is cheap these days.

Very true and with ebay around, new cheap engines can be had for about the same price as high buck repair parts from sources like Tower.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
Like the guys say, it depends on the engine.  If it is a ball bearing engine, then you can usually just swap a new piston/sleeve in it and get a "new engine".  *Most* sleeve piston sets that are still available from the manufacturer will be cheaper than a whole new engine. 

If it's a plain bearing ("bushing" in the case like a Fox 35), then bushing wear *might be a problem*.  Then you got to make sure the rod is ok.  A lot depends on how well te engine was treated.

Do you have a specific engine in mind?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here