News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wanting to try an ignition engine  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Wanting to try an ignition engine
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:04:47 PM »
Like the title says, I'd like to try an ignition engine.  I played with a modified engine, but the results were unsatisfactory.  I was at the McMinnville swap meet last week and saw a couple for $50 each, but I didn't know enough about them to know if they were runners.  How do I find a good one that I know will actually run? 

Mark

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Wanting to try an ignition engine
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:02:24 PM »
There are about five 5parkers that have been very successful in control line. I will start with my preference

1 The Anderson Spitfire is heavy but a great engine. Plenty of power, and easy starting and handling.

2 The Orwick 64 is equal to the Spitfire and a little lighter, but more expensive.

3  The Super Cyclone is light, a great runner, and works very well.

4  The Atwood Super Champion is another great running engine.

5 is the OK Super 60 that I have no experience with, but others have had good performance out of them

6 There are others like the Madewell 49, and Ohlsson front intake engines, but the ones listed above all work fine.

I have purchased several on e bay, If you look for real clean ones that are complete, they usually are really good. Some I have were never run and I had to break them in.

Others may have other suggestions. These are the ones I have the most experience with.
Jim Kraft

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
Maybe he would prefer a smaller engine?  Don't overlook early K&B Torpedo .29 engines (ignition).

A decent condition Vivell .35 now sells for about $40 or so.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »
I have a Rogers!  How about that one?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
Floyd is right, There are some good running smaller engines as well. I have a Forster 29 ball bearing rear intake that runs really good. I flew it in a Dragon for a while and it worked great.

Jim Kraft

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
I just bought a Sh-t load of Sparkers from an estate sale. I think I have over 20 of them .Many are brand new! I'll catalogue them and get them posted either here or in the OTS area. Cheers,Skip

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 12:34:40 AM »
How is the fuel mixed?

Regular gasoline?

What kind of Oil and how much?

Thanks, Tim

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »
Here is a list of the ignition engines I now have.If interested you can PM me here on the forum
(1) Drone Glow type
(2) Brown Jr. (original with good compression,no fuel bulbs)
(1) Delong 30
(1) Cannon .358 Strato Timer
(2) Wahl-Brown Jr. New in boxes with papers
(1) Mc Coy 49
(1) Phantom .28
(1) Thor .29
(1)Forster .29 Front Rotor New
(1) Forster .29
(2) Cannon .358 (rear intake) just beautiful!
(1)Pacemaker 59 new
(1) Bunch -size is not marked looks new
Thanks,Skip
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:02:21 PM by Skip Chernoff »

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
Tim, go down to the Old Time section where we have been discussing fuel for sparkers.
Jim Kraft

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:06:56 AM »
MM does that engine qualify for getting the additional 20 pts in  OTS????

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 08:43:44 AM »
I think Motorman has his tongue in his cheek. But we all love Motorman anyway.
Jim Kraft

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
So, for a beginner, which of the above engines would be a good one to start with?

Mark

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »
 Mark,Let the others speak on which would be best.....I'm no expert on these......Skip

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
The Delong .30 would be my choice from Skip's list, assuming it's in good condition. I used to own one, but never ran it. I've read good things about Bunch engines also.  Forsters were a good quality engine. I recognize a lot of the brand names on Skip's list, but can't recall details most.  O&R's run, but I've never been impressed with their power, long life, or engineering. I'm mystified by the McCoy .48...they had a .29, .49, .55, and .60, but never heard of a .48. I'd assume it'd be a scaled down version of the .60 redhead racing engine. Perhaps it's just the number isn't terribly legible. Not sure how easy it would be to make a racing engine like the McCoy's run in a stunt model.

Lots of OTS guys run low nitro/high castor glow fuel in their spark engines. A lot also mix their own with Coleman fuel as the base, with some sort of oils from the Go-Kart store...maybe Benoil and some petroleum oil? I know that OTS requires genuine OEM spark ignition engines OR approved "authentic"  replicas. It's NOT legal to convert glow engines to spark ignition...which is legal in OT FF, by the way. Some glow engines are relatively easy to convert and run fine on spark. If you're "handy" and want to tinker, that might be something you'd like to try? No, Motorman, that Evo would not be legal for OTS, unless they've changed the rules recently.

I recall cranking a Super Cyclone .60 for the late Don Dodd, MANY years ago. The main bearing was worn, resulting in the timing changing itself. But I mostly recall getting my fingers whacked violently. There were not enough words....it friggin' hurt that much!  ''  Steve     
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
 They're all in good shape actually,none are incomplete. Based on "feel" while flipping a prop that Bunch engine was sweet. The McCoy is a 49. Sorry about that. I'll post a picture of some of these tomorrow. These old sparkers are great looking!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
Remember that OTS rules do not specify engines.  You can legally run any engine in an OTS plane.  Purists tend to prefer period engines, simply for the sake of nostalgia.

p.s.  All Bunch .45 engines are sideport types.  A bit more difficult to get proper fuel draw during extreme C/L maneuvers.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
Well, I went with the DeLong engine.  We'll see how things go.  I'll play with it on a stand to get my fingers wet, then figure out what plane to build.  Doing an Outerzone search for CL and DeLong 30 didn't come up with any designs.  Changing the engine to a Forster .29 gave several designs, but only a couple that I liked.  I had looked at one design before, so I might go with that one.  Now I just have to wait for the engine and learn to get it to run. The one thing that's going to puzzle me is how to mount the engine for CL with that big tank on the back.  I know the instructions for the DeLong say you can remove it and use a separate tank, but I'll have to wait to get it in my hands to figure that out.

I figure that once I build a plane I'll go with Larry Davidson's package with the solid state ignition with cut-off package.  For now, I'm going to be a masochist and cobble together a condenser/coil arrangement that follows the information I get searching here on Stunthangar.  No sense in spending $90-$100 on all the fancy shiny stuff until I need the light weight.  Or, at least until I find I can't get the condenser setup working and get frustrated enough to spend the extra money for modern ignition technology.

Mark

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
Mark, the engine should arrive on the 28th.I insist that you have fun playing with it! Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 11:07:56 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would anyone happen to have a spare "Timer Breaker Arm with Point", DeLong 30 part number 315 in their parts stash? 

I got the engine today and started going over it.  The points weren't making contact as the shaft turned, so I was trying to gently bend the breaker arm to get the points to contact.  But I guess the spring steel was just too brittle.  Yup.  The arm broke.  Now I'm in search of another breaker arm.   ::)

Mark

edit: I have to correct myself. It isn't that the contacts wouldn't close. The contacts wouldn't open. The spring held the contacts together, and the arm was not riding on the cam and opening when it should. I had to bend the arm so it would ride on the cam with the contacts open during the cam high side, and pivot closed at the low point of the cam rotation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:14:40 AM by Mark Mc »

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
I have some DeLong parts in storage. If you are still in need, I'll go look. Let me know by email or PM.

Norm

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here