News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 40 SS Control Line Engine  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Enya 40 SS Control Line Engine
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have one of these motors and was wondering if anyone has played with one??? Not sure if its a abn or abc but its lapped piston and the piston looks like its made out of two different metals. If the engine is worth the trouble I was going to use her on a Vector 40. Will this engine run in a four mode or does she like to run hard and ya have to prop her to get the speed ya want??? Haven't weighted her yet but seems to be light enough. It says its ball bearing but must be small ball bearing cause it looks like it would be a bushing???? What size prop would be best, 11/4-10/6-11/5???? Seems to be high compression so maybe just use zero or five per cent????? I run most my engines on zero or five and have very good luck, ST 60. St46, Merco 49's and 61's, Double Star 61, Enya 60. I hope the Enya 40 will also perform using this type fuel. (I don't use any fuel with my electric babies???) I appreciate any input.
Thank You
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Enya 40 SS Control Line Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »
Hi Gary,

I have heard good things about the Enya "SS" series, but have not heard much about the .40.  I've only had the "old" Enyas which are built too good to ever wear out! LOL!1

I am curious to see what the comments are, and "expecting" to hear they like the "wet 2" run.. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
Hi Bill,

I agree about the wet two cycle. I have the old enya's and they are great running engines. The only problem with them is that they're different than any other engine. The crankshaft, size of the case, just makes it hard to switch and try different engines in the plane. I had to build a special size plane for the enya but worth the trouble.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »

Bill Draper using an Enya SS40 managed a 9th place in 1990 Blenod, France World Championship. Seems it was his best placing ever in a WC.

The mounting holes are the same as the ST G51.

There is this report about the engine too:
http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/enyasdzwolak.php

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »
Bill Draper using an Enya SS40 managed a 9th place in 1990 Blenod, France World Championship. Seems it was his best placing ever in a WC.

The mounting holes are the same as the ST G51.

There is this report about the engine too:
http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/enyasdzwolak.php

Martin

Thanks, Martin.  Do you know how Bill "runs" the engine?  That seems to be a nagging question here. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
OK, I checked out the link, but it is long and not a "quick read".  ;D

If you run it "Stock" it will be a "wet 2" style run.  If you "hemi" the head (which I can't really do at home) you can get "sort of a 4-2" run. 

Modifications are not what most people want to do if they are not 100% full blown competitors so a wet 2 is what can be expected from running it stock by reading the engine report.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »

Gary,
I'm curious about your mention of zero percent nitro in some of your engines.  A friend of mine ran zero in a Rustler-Merco .60 (it didn't like any nitro in stock condition), and said that the run time would vary enormously and unpredictably as a result of very small changes in needle setting.  Have you experienced this with any of your engines?

Another friend who tests a lot of engines uses an old Cardinal ARF with a modified Windy clamp mount (clamp bolt holes drilled closer together for .35 to .51 engines to prevent "banana bending" of the clamp) which accommodates different mounting bolt patterns and case widths.  He says it comes in very handy.     

Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »
Hi Kim,

Most of my engines like less nitro and gets better mileage. With the zero to five per cent nitro my needle doesn't seem to be as sensitive. I seem to have a better adjustment range with the needle.  I guess if I needed to get more power I would have to run more nitro but most my plane I could use a smaller engine and they would probably fly just as well. I also run my OS Max 40 FSR on pipe using 5% and she seems to love it. Question: do you need more nitro in the summer or winter. I'm not sure but I believe you need more nitro in the summer time to add more oxygen to the fuel???? I appreciate your input, my answer is the engine seems to run very smooth on the 0 to 5%

Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Hi Gary,

Short answer:  More nitro in the summer.  You had it right. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »
Hi Kim,

Most of my engines like less nitro and gets better mileage. With the zero to five per cent nitro my needle doesn't seem to be as sensitive. I seem to have a better adjustment range with the needle.  I guess if I needed to get more power I would have to run more nitro but most my plane I could use a smaller engine and they would probably fly just as well. I also run my OS Max 40 FSR on pipe using 5% and she seems to love it. Question: do you need more nitro in the summer or winter. I'm not sure but I believe you need more nitro in the summer time to add more oxygen to the fuel???? I appreciate your input, my answer is the engine seems to run very smooth on the 0 to 5%

Gary
Hi Gary,  Yes, more nitro in hotter weather and at higher altitude--low oxygen conditions (also with lower compression).  Ted said think of nitro as bottled oxygen, which makes it easy to remember.  As fuel prices go up, I think we have been spending too much on 10% nitro unnecessarily, but using the same joy juice as my friends has its advantages.  So does using the same fuel.   LL~  I'm curious if you are mixing your own, since 0% doesn't show up in every hobby shop.  Interesting about the sensitive needle.  I seem to have the opposite.  I can go 1/4, 1/3 of a turn on some of my engines with no change.

Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
Hi Kim,

My son mixes our fuel. He buys the different product and blends what we think we need. I don't think its much cheaper just have a better idea what we're running. I think sometimes the math get a Little funny but that's just math, Ha Ha????? I find electric seems to not have as many run issues but I like both.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

Thanks, Martin.  Do you know how Bill "runs" the engine?  That seems to be a nagging question here. ;D

Big Bear

Hi Bill

I also would like to know. Hopefully some one here from England will help us.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
OK, I checked out the link, but it is long and not a "quick read".  ;D

If you run it "Stock" it will be a "wet 2" style run.  If you "hemi" the head (which I can't really do at home) you can get "sort of a 4-2" run. 

Modifications are not what most people want to do if they are not 100% full blown competitors so a wet 2 is what can be expected from running it stock by reading the engine report.

Bill

Hi Bill,

The way I see it, the Stock Head is already a hemi head, you can machine it to reduce the squish band and lower the compression, or add one or two head shims to get pretty much the same results.

Many people are using the engine stock, not even with added shims, and getting pretty good runs.

Martin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
Hi Bill,

The way I see it, the Stock Head is already a hemi head, you can machine it to reduce the squish band and lower the compression, or add one or two head shims to get pretty much the same results.

Many people are using the engine stock, not even with added shims, and getting pretty good runs.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I was just lifting the report Mr. Draper gave in your link.  I have not seen one, and probably never will! LOL!!  Nothing against it, but I already have way too many good engines in that size range to ever use.  Just passing along the info without making others read that long report. ;D

Of course anyone can, and it will just basically be what I wrote as a synopsis........  H^^
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »

too late Bill,  you made me go all the way to England to find out from Sir Draper him self what was his setup(still waiting to make the connection), so now you gotta commit and get one **) **)

Martin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:16 AM »

too late Bill,  you made me go all the way to England to find out from Sir Draper him self what was his setup(still waiting to make the connection), so now you gotta commit and get one **) **)

Martin

LL~ LL~ LL~

Way to go, Martin! LL~ LL~

( I thought the link you posted WAS his set up. ??? )

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
Bill drapers ' Superhawk ' used an Enya 40 SS .

9.600 on a 11 x 6 Kavan prop . 2 1/2 -3 % nitro.
6.75 mm , = 17 / 64 th. in. bore venturie comes
level with bottom of fins at c.l. rounded inside top only.
4 mm spraybar , little O rings to case.
Muffler lugs filed holes out to suit earlier lighter silencer.
Muffler Pressure. Stock head clearance and timing.

This is from a 87 copy of A.M.I. so may be supercedded
Then again , who knows .it may not be .Was spec. then.

:! mw~ S?P

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have one of these motors and was wondering if anyone has played with one??? Not sure if its a abn or abc but its lapped piston and the piston looks like its made out of two different metals. If the engine is worth the trouble I was going to use her on a Vector 40. Will this engine run in a four mode or does she like to run hard and ya have to prop her to get the speed ya want??? Haven't weighted her yet but seems to be light enough. It says its ball bearing but must be small ball bearing cause it looks like it would be a bushing???? What size prop would be best, 11/4-10/6-11/5???? Seems to be high compression so maybe just use zero or five per cent????? I run most my engines on zero or five and have very good luck, ST 60. St46, Merco 49's and 61's, Double Star 61, Enya 60. I hope the Enya 40 will also perform using this type fuel. (I don't use any fuel with my electric babies???) I appreciate any input.
Thank You
Gary

HI Gary

I stock and sell many of the Enya 40SS and all the other SS series, they are really great motors, well built and they run well and powerful, The Enya will also last a long time. I would start out on 5% nitro and a prop like a 11 x 4.5 or wide blade 11.5 x 5. This will get you close.
You don't need to do anything to the C/R  just use it as is.
They also make a powerful Enya 45SS BB great engine
let us know how it goes

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »
Thank you Randy,

Its my son's motor he bought new from Japan a few years ago. He has your Vector 40 ARF and I told him it probably would be a good set up. In a few weeks I'm going to put the Vector together and give it a try. I have several of the older Enya engine and I believe Enya will live up to its name, it should be a great running baby. I'll post about the engine once I get her on the test bench to break in. Thank you for your input. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be many running this engine. Pretty looking motor.

Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
Hi Randy,
Have you run one of these babies??? Bench run one today, she purrs like a kitten. She has a real nice four two run, easy start and seems to have good power. I bench run her with a 10/6 prop, using 5/22 fuel mix. Not sure of the crank shaft size but the prop slid on without having to redrill the hole in the prop. I believe this is one of the better size 40 engine. I don't know how it prices against the Brodak, OS, evo 36 or other forty size motor but this one is a real winner and if ya bought one I believe you would be happy. Randy is there a tongue muffler for this engine????? I wonder if this baby could stand up against the famous OS 46 LA. That would be a real test???? Only people like Randy would know for sure??

Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
Hi Gary

Yes I have ran the 40, It is a smooth powerful motor, I have not compared it back to back with a 46 LA but I would say it is in that range without a doubt, Plus it is a very well made long lasting motor

Randy

Offline tryhard

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 02:16:10 PM »
Bill drapers ' Superhawk ' used an Enya 40 SS .

Muffler lugs filed holes out to suit earlier lighter silencer.
Muffler Pressure. Stock head clearance and timing.

I cans see why as the original muffler is a heavy beast - does anyone do a tongue muffler to fit? Hole centres are 1.644 inch.
Mike

:! mw~ S?P

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »

\

HI

I have very light cnc tongue mufflers and  ultra light  cnc Tube mufflers for the Enya. You can see them on   www.aeroproduct.net

look at the new products page

Randy

Offline tryhard

• New Pilot
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Hi Randy,
tried last month and again yesterday to order a tongue muffler via your website but no response so far. I am using Yahoo mail from uk - is it not getting through for some reason?
Thanks,
Mike

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
Hi Randy,
tried last month and again yesterday to order a tongue muffler via your website but no response so far. I am using Yahoo mail from uk - is it not getting through for some reason?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike

Mu website has no provisions for buying online through the website, It does have my Email link to place an order that way. I will check for your emails and ship your muffler.
my email by the way is  Randyaero@msn.com

Regards
Randy

Offline tryhard

• New Pilot
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »
Thanks Randy,
yes, that is the link and email that I used.
Mike

Offline tryhard

• New Pilot
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
Randy,
sent email order 12 and 14 April and PM 16 April. No response as yet did these get through OK?
Mike

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »
Randy,
sent email order 12 and 14 April and PM 16 April. No response as yet did these get through OK?
Mike

Hi Mike  Yes I found it, I will pack it for shipping today

Randy

Offline tryhard

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »
Thanks Randy,
got it.
Mike

Advertise Here