News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:53:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the "Fox burp"?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What is the "Fox burp"?
« on: August 15, 2007, 05:13:06 AM »
I fly a Fox .15, .19, .29, two .35's all very old but hardly used, and a new .45. I haven't had any 'burp' no matter
what I did to them. At what point does the burp happen?  When I invert the .45 it sags badly ,rich I think. I don't
stay inverted long enough to kill the engine. The tank, homemade square wedge uniflow 4 1/2 oz., is 1/4 in.
above engine center on a profile fuse. What do I do to correct this. Red Max 15% with 25% castor 3% syn.
Perry Rose
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What is the "Fox burp"?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
Perry,
If every thing else is OK, sounds like the tank is too high.  When inverted, the high tank becomes the low tank, and the engine goes lean.

Test run on the ground--set the needle upright and then invert the plane and listen for the engine to speed up.  Check rpm with a tach if you can. Sometimes, in flight, it's difficult to tell if the engine is sagging lean or going rich.

More info would help.

Can't comment on the burp.  Only lost one plane to it. S?P

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
The "infamous" burp is the tendency of a side mounted (profile) Fox .35 to quit, or nearly quit in the performance of an outside loop. Most annoying!  %^@

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »
I lowered the tank below the engine center a move of about 3/8 from where it was. I ran it and it ran well inverted. I also noticed air bubbles in the fuel line. I had the tank screwed on the fuse. with a slot for height
adjustment. It vibrated with the engine. I didn't want to rubberband it on so I made a tray that screwed to the
same holes and rubberbanded the tank with some foam padding under the tank. Now I can insulate the tank and
adjust it too. I posted 'more info' earlier but it didn't show up.
Perry Rose
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »
I've been flying one of my old Fox 35's mounted upright.  When doing OTS horizontal eights it has a tiny (one revolution?  ;D) burp transitioning from insides to outsides.  Never noticed that before.  No burp anywhere else.   

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »
IMHO, the burp is really only an issue for profile mounted Fox .35's. Even then, I've only had the problem on hard outside corners. Round outsides don't seem to effect it much.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »
Perry,

You could try searching (that input box at the top right next to the magnifying glass..) under wig-wag  for a post I put in a while back. Helps reduce 'burp' and getting in a first flight w/o starving or richening off the engine.

The reason for the burp may be related to the change of g-loading when the model kicks over from inside g to outside g at the intersection in the figure eights. Why it takes the form of an audible misfire or non-fire for some Fox 35s could be a very complicated combination of many things. If the tank, prop, plug and fuel are all good, and the setting is about right, you may hear a one or two step stutter without losing noticeable power, and without the engine shutting off.

The low round loops in the round Eights require about 10 to 11g for their shape, and the effect of gravity adds 1g at the bottoms and about 3/4 g at the top (trigonometry - at the angle that gravity works on the model at 45° line elevation.) The intersections are supposed to be vertical, so lift and gravity are at right angles - they don't interact at that split second... So the loads on the fuel are from 10-11g toward the wheels (in the inside) to the same range away from the  wheels (in the outside) and that's suppossed to happen in a hundredth of a second or less. Quite a change.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »
Lou, I,d be interrested in knowing where the  10 - 11 G number came from?  Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here