News:

• June 03, 2024, 03:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 48 4 stroke Surpress 48 Questions  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS 48 4 stroke Surpress 48 Questions
« on: August 27, 2006, 06:13:58 PM »
OK I got one of these today and never trying a 4 stroke would someone tell me something about it. I did not get the box or any information about it but there are no mounting marks on the tabs - Looks like a new engine that was stored.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Alan Hahn

Re: OS 48 4 stroke Surpress 48 Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:35 PM »
Here is a link to an OS manual page. It doesn't have the 48 (it was superceded by the 52), but it was concurrent with the 40 Surpass. I would treat it the same way.

http://www.osengines.com/parts/index.html

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:01 PM »
Is it an engine we can use for stunt or does it need modifying?
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 08:05:02 AM »
Quick reply:
Excellent engine - very powerful.

The only mod that it may need would be a venturi, since, depending on the throttle drum/bore tolerance accumulation, there may be an air leak.

I might add that in my extensive 4 stroke flying, the only mod that I have ever seen needed is that described above. And, that is rather rare - seems to happen mostly in the bigger SAITOs.

I have never had to do it to an OS. n1

Bob Z.

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »
I understand that the 4-stroke engine puts out more power. How is that power transmitted to the aircraft? Is the power of the 4-stroke utilized by increased rpm or by use of a larger diameter prop? Reasoning would say that use of a more powerful engine to turn the same prop at the same rpm would offer no advantage - the prop would displace the same amount of air if it turned at the same rpm.  If the engine turned at a higher rpm then the result would be higher speeds - this would not allow the plane to fly slow - a lower pitch prop would be needed to slow the plane so the result would be wasted power. It would seem the only way to utilize the power would be to increase the diameter of the propeller - and this might be something that is not wanted because of ground clearance. My questions are: Does the 4-stroke turn higher speeds or do you use a larger prop?

There is a lot more metal in the 4-stroke - pushrods, valves etc and there is a carb hung on it. On a normal 2-stroke engine it is relatively simple to remove the carb and insert a venturi with Needle assembly. Wouldn't it be to my advantage to remove this carb assembly and replace it with a venturi? Who would I contact to fabricate this  and would there be a weight savings by doing so?
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 07:33:38 PM »
I've used a O S 48 Surpass in stunt , and had vary good results , I found that the stock throttle works well just lock it wide open and you will be able to use the chock rod it helps priming  when starting.  four strokes don't like to run at high RPM's it likes a large prop with more pitch than a  2 stroke , I had good luck with Power Master 20/20 fuel and a O S  F plug. ( Note with a throttle you can start it at idle and let it warm up before going to full throtle)  this will prevent it from backfireing and throwing a prop...

Good luck it has a lot of power. j1
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 05:01:47 AM »
I used one of these on a stuntwagon. It pulled this plane along with a lot of power. 12x5 or 6 prop 10% rojett fuel. The choke is nice to get it primed, hand starting was easy. George

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:29:25 AM »
Bill - here's a sure fire way to home in on the potential of the Surpass .48.

Mount it on a plane and try it. Put the same size prop as you would on a comparable size 2 stroke. Buy a few extra sizes - then you can experiment with different pitches and diameters. I recommend the APCs.

Forget the modifications unless you are positive that they are needed.

The engine is heavier but that does not seem to matter - you can either mount it back by one bolt spacing or just add tailweight.

On most of the 2 to 4 stroke conversions I've done, I just bolted it on and tried it - hardly ever needed tailweight.

Always try and take the simplest approach. That's how I learned.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here