News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: venturi length  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
venturi length
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:30:38 PM »

I have noticed on some of the foreign made engines that the venture is longer than other engines.  What effect does this have on the way that an engine performs?  Does this make the engine have more torque, or what other advantages does this give?

Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: venturi length
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »
Your venturi should be a minimum of three inches long.  Please have one custom-made for your plane, and then post pictures.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
In theory a right-length venturi will have a bit of a supercharging effect on the engine (see high-rise manifolds for cars, for instance).  I don't know if that works for our engines, though, and maximum power isn't what you want for stunt anyway.

Probably more important, on a typical 2-stroke engine the intake port opens when there's still a bit of pressure in the crankcase, and closes after.  This makes the engine want to "spit back" a bit of fuel/air mixture, particularly when we're using a non-stunt engine for stunt.  A longer venturi helps contain this spitting back (as does a bit of fine nylon mesh over the venturi).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:34:08 PM »
You Could Try various length Velocity Stacks , ON the Intake !  VD~

Your actually aiming for maximum ram effect , AT a Certain r.p.m.s , Variable to suit Tourque/ rpm requirement , for differant tracks or conditions .
Though it'd only be a percent or so power differance , Way Out ( of sync. ) could get stutter etc . probly effects the ' switch ' 4-2-4 .

Also Long Past Jet can prevent spit back / fuel expelling from intake . Possable in the 4 stroke mode perhaps .

One Thing that Bugs Me is that the 4 - stroke blokes havnt gone to ' tooned lengths ' for their Zorst Pipes .
The Old Hot Rod maximum was a crayon or paint line , down the pipe .
Itd scorch first at the wave length peak , tho actually youd cut the pipe at say the third Zap Out , Going for Tourque .

Pressue Cycles apply to the suck and the blow . One Intake per Cylinder is necessary for Optimiseation .  LL~
Theres actually negative pressure zones in a Ex System , to tap into for vacume . When ' Its on the Boil ' .

The book there ( By Phil Irvine ) should have the rudimetarys of  Tuned Intake length Vs RPM for Two Strokes . Like the BSA Batman & Vespa .
The Forular Provided should be applicable .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »
Technically theres advantages in ' laminar flow ' with a ' trumpeted ' intake - With NO Sharp edges at the outer extremety . ( Should be a Full Radius )
A sharp Edge can cause turbulance and ' choking ' / Shock wave Constriction .  %^@

So that there snotter has a Real Intake !

Thus ,  H^^

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:37 PM »
You want the inlet end to be as long as practically possible to better act as a flow straightener. I asked Dub Jett and Richard Oliver to make me a longer intake than the stock Jett venturi and even ~1/8" made a noticeable improvement in the (already excellent) run symmetry.

I think most of us can calculate the length of a half-wave resonator at 166hz, so any practical application of intake tuning is not, charitably, plausible. There was a lot of discussion of intake tuning back in the supposed "good old days" of 40FSR and the other "schneurle-of-the-month" engines and one trick was the application of magical "5 degree taper" long conical venturi supposed to tune the intake. It did make a difference in some case, but I am virtually certain that the effect was flow straightening, nothing to do with intake tuning. I would expect a similar effect with an air filter on a different, shorter venturi. The last thing you want, for stunt, anyway, is a short trumpet and any sort of attempt at super-smooth streamlined flow. I guarantee that it will not be super-smooth at all AoA and that will make it vary with maneuvering, both in terms of flow and flow restriction, but also in the way it atomizes the fuel.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »
Technically theres advantages in ' laminar flow ' with a ' trumpeted ' intake - With NO Sharp edges at the outer extremety . ( Should be a Full Radius )
A sharp Edge can cause turbulance and ' choking ' / Shock wave Constriction .  

Theoretical advantages in steady-state flow VS restriction. If we flew stunt contest with engines bolted to a test stand in dead calm conditions and no propellor flailing away 1/2" in front of it, then yes, it might be an advantage. In flight, you don't care about that for stunt, you can get arbitrary quantities of power, far more than you could possibly use, from even a 40. But you do care a lot about it running the same through the maneuvers.

And, as above - you *want* turbulence to mitigate flow variation with AoA. We put turbulation devices on there *intentionally*.

Brett
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:45:08 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
On a naturally aspirated engine the longer intake creates in more low-end torque, but it has nothing to do with the Venturi. It's mostly due to air having mass. If you look at carbureted racing engines (which have Venturis) the Venturi is at the front the engine intake and then the length of the intake risers after the Venturi gets tuned. A straight line or road racing motor will have long risers, NASCAR engine built for Talladega will have short ones. (Edited to include two-stroke outboards which are very relevant to what we do with CLPA engines.)

At high revs a longer intake becomes a horsepower robber.  For a CLPA engine at a fairly steady 10K RPM the only non-placebo affect I've found to the longer Venturi is that it's easier to choke the damn thing through the hole in the cowl. I might be persuaded to accept that the longer Venturi gets better incoming air into the cowl too, because the opening isn't buried down under balsa but directly into the incoming air.

But it's not like we live in a day and age where stunt engines are underpowered and won't run consistently. The best stunt engines ever made are readily available today. We're living in the best days ever of powering a CLPA ship. (Or you can toss your man-card onto the fire and go electric. S?P)

Generally speaking, since air has viscosity the longer the Venturi inlet the higher the losses will be. If the Venturi was infinitely long the engine wouldn't run. On the other hand, some old-school engines like the Fox .35 and the Testor's .35 and .40 had short, bell-shaped cast Venturis and run great.

And don't forget, for non-sprinkler Venturis,  we have about a .250" hole through which we pass a .125" tube...so the real Bernoulli effect is from the restriction caused buy the spray bar itself, not from tapering the intake. Others may have different information, but the original use of a taper seems to come from using interchangable inserts into the same machined hole in the casting.

The spray bar is placed at the base of the intake in order to keep it about half an inch above the mounting rails so it will have the same suction head inside or outside with the standard 1" thick stunt tank. If we didn't have this restriction it would be a lot of fun to try to tune the intake riser.

I've seen quasi-dissertations on Venturi intake length for stunt, and then in the next post read to put a piece of stocking over the intake to tune the engine run.

Sharp edges? Meh, many, many, trophies where won with the venerable  OS.35S and it's sharp Venturi.

IMHO, YMMV

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:21:02 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »

Generally speaking, since air has viscosity the longer the Venturi inlet the higher the losses will be. If the Venturi was infinitely long the engine wouldn't run. On the other hand, some old-school engines like the Fox .35 and the Testor's .35 and .40 had short, bell-shaped cast Venturis and run great.

This is still considering the flow restriction and efficiency to be the critical issue. I don't think that matters at all in any practical situation in stunt, as long as you can stuff a piped 75 into a 625 square inch airplane and be able to control it. That will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, and David's current engine setup uses a venturi the same size as we run on a 20.

What does matter is the way it runs in the maneuvers and specifically the corners, and the difference between insides and outsides. If that is the problem, anything you can do to make it insensitive to the external flow field is to the good. I have to say, between David and I, almost the only things we have changed significantly over the last 10-15 years have been associated with the intake and carburetion.

On that topic, there are two factors that affect the way the engine draws fuel, and the vacuum from the venturi is only one half of the equation. Once we had spigot venturis and diffusers, that problem was effectively solved. The other half is how hard it is to draw fuel through the plumbing, and we have found substantial improvement in that area, as well.

Brett

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
...I don't think that matters at all in any practical situation in stunt, as long as you can stuff a piped 75 into a 625 square inch airplane and be able to control it. ...
   Brett

Can I have an "Amen!" ?

There is no replacement for displacement.

Sometimes I look back at the .35 powered Nobler-derived ships we flew an wonder how in the heck we did it. Seems like we were always one click of the needle valve away from disaster.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
Can I have an "Amen!" ?

There is no replacement for displacement.

Sometimes I look back at the .35 powered Nobler-derived ships we flew an wonder how in the heck we did it. Seems like we were always one click of the needle valve away from disaster.

They designed, trimmed, and flew it around the limitations they had. That's why it has a tiny thin wing and turned like a 18-wheeler on a go-kart track.   That why, if I were dictator of stunt, I would get rid of Classic, Super 70's, and Nostalgia 30 entirely, and replace it with an event where you can design and build your own airplanes, but you have to use a period engine setup with period-like props. I can virtually guarantee that the airplanes would end up looking about the same as they did back in the day. The only real question is where you put the cutoff - somewhere around 1960, before they discovered the Veco 45.

Those guys were not stupid, for the most part, the good guys then were at least as competent as we are now, so they came up with the best solution they could pretty quickly. Unfortunately, some/many people figure that *nothing* should be different even now, and follow the rules of the 50's with religious fervor.

Now, as then,  you don't have to outrun the tiger, you just have to outrun the other guys.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
  I have noticed on some of the foreign made engines that the venture is longer than other engines.  What effect does this have on the way that an engine performs?  Does this make the engine have more torque, or what other advantages does this give?

Thanks

Done  tons of  research  on this, and not all depends  solely on length, but the  ratio is  3 to 6 times the diameter of the hole, depends on engine, many other things will affect that ratio, like crank timing, duration, when it closes,  intake timing,  etc....RPMs play a very large part on this with some engines, others, not so much ,  also you can make one too long and kill off the power,  Tall venturie slow the  cycling  while short ones of exact same  diameter, many times speed up the cycling.
Shape of the inside is not really critical on restrictions, but is much more important on true venturies .

Randy

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Done  tons of  research  on this, and not all depends  solely on length, but the  ratio is  3 to 6 times the diameter of the hole, depends on engine, many other things will affect that ratio, like crank timing, duration, when it closes,  intake timing,  etc....RPMs play a very large part on this with some engines, others, not so much ,  also you can make one too long and kill off the power,  Tall venturie slow the  cycling  while short ones of exact same  diameter, many times speed up the cycling.
Shape of the inside is not really critical on restrictions, but is much more important on true venturies .

For those of us who are still flying 46LA's, is there much value in making up different-length venturis and trying them out?  Or is that just a waste of time?
AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »
For those of us who are still flying 46LA's, is there much value in making up different-length venturis and trying them out?  Or is that just a waste of time?

The  stock size   venturie  height seems   to work very well, and I  have tried  them  taller, lot taller  and really  tall, you just need  to make the tall ones  larger  inside   ID   to run the same
There  is a noticeable  improvement using  a PA   NVAs ,  but remember   you   MUST  run a  larger  ID  with an  Enya  ST    or PA   NVA
If you can find any  Bruline  rubber  filter holders  and filters,  that also  very much worthwhile,  if not  use  1 layer  panties hose

Randy

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »

If you can find any  Bruline  rubber  filter holders  and filters,  that also  very much worthwhile,  if not  use  1 layer  panties hose

Randy

Does that help "make it insensitive to the external flow field"? It would make sense.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
Does that help "make it insensitive to the external flow field"? It would make sense.

NO it helps in this way, both keep the  soft  sleeve  material in good shape , I have seen about a thousand that have many flights, and ones with filters  are  in much better  shape,  and it also keeps some of the sand   dirt  debris  out of the engine, the  BRULINE  filter  is also  taller and trumpet shape, which helps, with "some" engines  keeping  fuel in them, and not letting  it spill out of the  top of the venturie, others  don't need it near as  badly as some, I was speaking  of  1 layer  of panty hose,  you will need  to add  additional  layers  to make the  venturie "act"   smaller

Next thing I would like  to test is  L   shaped  intakes,  I have  rubber intake filters that are  "L"  shaped  so you can run them , into the wind, pointing outboard, or  pointed  inboard
, I have a good idea  what will  be the results, but   testing will  verify
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
additional info, if you find  Bru Line  filtrs, the  Black coarse  filter  does not change   much of anything on the run,  the  fine  green filter  makes the venturie "act"  like its  a few thousands  smaller.
Panty hose  under  the  Bru Line  filter  makes  the venturie  act even smaller, and  also helps stop  fuel from going  out of the top of the venturie, on engines  where  that is a problem

Randy

Offline Ognyan Kumchev

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 06:49:35 AM »
    Thanks
I myself do use long '"ventures''. As long as opening diameter  I use is constant this is rather a nozzle or a sleeve. About sizes later on. Tube theory says , at an experiment like this. Imagine a tin can  about a gallon volume.  Make a round hole near the bottom about 0.3 inch diameter , sharp and clean tin edges of this hole/orifice.  Plug this orifice, fill this can with water, unplug the orifice and measure how long time it will take the water to flow out through this orifice.  Then prepare a piece of tube same inner diameter , long about 6 times the diameter  - this makes 0.3 x 6 = 1.8 inches and mount it to replace the formerly made sharp edged orifice. Then  fill the can again and measure how long time it will take the water to flow out through this tube. The time should be about 30% less.  This less time is in effect between pipe length  4 to 11 times the diameter . Smaller length is not enough the water flow to get organized, longer length causes too much friction loss.  So. a sleeve 5 to 7 times the diameter  seems fine. Measured from where the spray bar is located.   
Else. Theory also says every change of orifice opening area  is a resistance to the flow. So ,considering a  spray bar diametrical, it  is better to change the area as little as possible. That is why I use an oval shaped spray bar . As long as a cylindrical and thin one is unpractical for strength considerrations. 
Else. Best suction is believed to be when the fuel outlet orifice of a cylindrical  spray bar is about ten degrees turned below the side position.  I believe it is not hard to consider where the fuel outlet orifice should be at an oval shaped spray bar , or when two fuel outlet orifices are used at one oval shaped spray bar.
All this is what I myself use.  Please let me know if anything may be considered  better.
Ognyan.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
Or you can toss your man-card onto the fire and go electric.

Hey, you guys are the ones with the panty hose.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 02:55:02 PM »
Hey, you guys are the ones with the panty hose.

Howard,

What matters isn't that we use pantyhose, the important part is how we acquired it.  H^^
AMA 76478

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »
In order to create suction and strong fuel draw you need to bring in all the air you can and neck it down at the venna conncocta.  So any air filter will reduce the intake of air and thus the suction.  That's one reason why serious competition engines never have air filters.  The only exception is dune buggies and dirt bikes that really need filters. 

Of course if you have power & suction to spare you can afford to filter out some air.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:01:55 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 11:16:12 PM »
In order to create suction and strong fuel draw you need to bring in all the air you can and neck it down at the venna conncocta.  So any air filter will reduce the intake of air and thus the suction.

How does a choke work? How does putting your thumb over the venturi work? Seems like has tremendous suction with no flow at all.

Rhetorical questions, of course. The answer is that only a fraction of the suction is due to Bernoulli effects, the rest is due to upstream flow restrictions, meaning, also, that adding a restrictive filter (or your thumb) generally increases the suction, rather than reducing it.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 01:20:19 AM »
Yeah, I remember an old chivvytruck I had to drive when I was a kid. The windshield wipers were driven off the manifold vacuum. It was an early version of intermittent wiping--if you wanted them to move, you took your foot off the gas. So in a heavy rain storm it all worked out ok. First you stomped on the gas to go, then you dropped off the petal to wipe. Kind of a rhythm thing, tapping your foot, and to the other drivers maybe it looked like galloping. So you never got going fast enough to hydroplane. It was a feature.

If you talk to engineers about engine design they will always include a benchmark of WOT--Wide Open Throttle. At that point, with no restrictions by any controls on the inlet airflow, you will get the least vacuum but highest flow. And still the fuel goes in.

The bottom end of the engine is a pump. It will draw air; that's not an issue. But if your spraybar setup is marginal the fuel delivery into the airstream might not be as consistent as you'd like for an engine that is just sipping fuel. A pee tube works pretty well, but a side dribbler might not be the best choice for some circumstances. I would imagine that a filter actual catches some of the excess fuel and provides an additional method of atomizing it. It is enlightening to look inside the toilet bowl on the front of a speed engine when it turns up on the ground. I've seen the fuel blobs dancing around in there like crazy. WOT, baby!

I wouldn't worry so much about the venus concubus, which I think Botticelli came up with back in the day when he was watching the orchestra blowing their horns....or something like that.

The Divot

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
Will we ever figure out the venturi?

It's been figured out (for any practical purpose) for a long time, problem is, people don't want to believe the answer because it conflicts with their pre-conceived notions. Just like almost everything else in stunt.

Moreover, also like most things in stunt, about the time we figure it out, something fundamentally different comes along and displaces it.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »
Duke Fox was well known for experimenting with many engine configurations, modifications to "improve" the stunt engine.

Yet, the lowly Fox 35 stunt had a short, almost vanishing venturi.

Surely, Duke had experimented with venturis of all sorts, and yet the Fox 35 is what it is.

If we credit Duke with exploring all options, we have to conclude that venturi length isn't all that important.

DISCLAIMER>  I do not own any Fox motors, nor am I planning any such thing in the future.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »

If we credit Duke with exploring all options, we have to conclude that venturi length isn't all that important.

So, if it wasn't on a Fox 35, it isn't worth anything?  Duke Fox didn't do anything relevant in the field of stunt engines since 1948, and the few attempts the company made - long after he was gone - were 10 years out-of-date the day they hit the market.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 06:52:19 PM »
......what other advantages does this give?

Thanks
Added length can be used as a protective device and witness the so-called " Dork tube" on combat models that are made flexible enough to fold over upon impact thus preventing dirt ingress that would otherwise damage an engine.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 08:45:08 PM »

I think most of us can calculate the length of a half-wave resonator at 166hz, so any practical application of intake tuning is not, charitably, plausible.

Brett
Hi Brett,
               Have you considered a side branch resonator much like the RC boost bottle?
Obviates length issues but I am not sure what exactly these thing do, I know the claims in a throttled environment but with a fixed throttle .... Hard to envisage what advantage they might have.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »
Hi Brett,
Obviates length issues but I am not sure what exactly these thing do, I know the claims in a throttled environment but with a fixed throttle .... Hard to envisage what advantage they might have.
Chris.

In my opinion the advantage is taking money off off slow-learning RC car types.

Until I see some data, I'll consider it a waste of time
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:03 AM »

Plenty of data about these on two stroke motorcycle engines, notably Yamaha.
But they all seem to offer a slight improvement filling in midrange power deficiencies.
A fixed throttle has no range hence my doubt about them for stunt use.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:29 AM »

Greg, knock yourself out.
http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/YEIS.html
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
Hi Brett,
Chris.

No, we have plenty of control over it with just the exhaust. Recall that the point of the exercise is to kill the excess power, rather than make more of it. I have considered the use of a plenum (tuned or not) before the metering to, just like the longer intake and diffuser, reduce the effects of the changing direction of the external flow field.

Note that a "side branch resonator" is overdetermined - a resonator is a resonator, no one ever said you had to have a straight line with conical tailcone, or have the flow direction aligned with the direction of the gas flow.  Whistles, flutes, and jugs make resonances, too.  A jug (as in "hillbilly jug band" per my upbringing) is a good analog of your side-branch resonator.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:17 PM »
   No, we have plenty of control over it with just the exhaust. Recall that the point of the exercise is to kill the excess power, rather than make more of it. I have considered the use of a plenum (tuned or not) before the metering to, just like the longer intake and diffuser, reduce the effects of the changing direction of the external flow field.

Note that a "side branch resonator" is overdetermined - a resonator is a resonator, no one ever said you had to have a straight line with conical tailcone, or have the flow direction aligned with the direction of the gas flow.  Whistles, flutes, and jugs make resonances, too.  A jug (as in "hillbilly jug band" per my upbringing) is a good analog of your side-branch resonator.

Brett
Hi Brett,
             I know that the point of the exercise is to kill off excess power rather than make more of it and run on a negative power slope.

Draw the parallel to tuned exhaust pipes or really anything else in 'tune.'
The original thinking came from application, racing motorcyles wanted to go faster - all of the hard work was done in this application.

Then along came some original thinking in 'this' application to operate the engine beyond the state of tune as a limiter.
The same can be said of resonant intakes, in this application it may be practical to operate in exactly the same way as a pipe, being that of a limiter or more precisely put place the gain where its needed to make where its not more pronounced - or exaggerate and more highly polarise the load change.

Also added volume below the jets and before valving has been proven in the Team Race world to create better fuel atomisation.
I will look this up again but the name De Riddier comes to mind as the inventer of such a system and it was promptly banned, and thats about as good a clue to its effectiveness.

I just think that not enough effort and research has been placed on resonant intakes primarily because everyone thinks length, nah that aint going to work because of the practicalities of housing and containing a workable length.
But plenums side step the issue because they primarily work on volume and that volume can be remotely located.

Interesting topic, considering lengths and volumes as the whole two stroke concept is a resonant system and when you consider that it only has 3 moving parts it is paradoxically and overwhelmingly complex to fully inderstand.

Chris.

MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here