Engine basics > Engine set up tips

VECO 60

(1/2) > >>

Lyle Spiegel:
I have come into possession of Veco 60 / R/C with Perry style carb and original muffler.  No box or instructions. Doesn't look like it has ever seen fuel. I think it has front BB ( don't know about interior), and ring(s)?  1) What is preferred fuel ? 2) What is best break-in procedure? what size break in prop?
Is it worth effort to convert from RC ? what do I use for venturi & NVA? How would it perform vs ST 60 controline?
Lyle

Dave Hull:
Lyle,

I think that engine is very similar to the somewhat later K&B .61? Steel sleeve, aluminum piston, CI ring? You might search under K&B and find more info here on Stunthanger.

If it has ball bearings, so much the better. If it has one in the front, for sure it has one in the back....

I have never run one for control line, but rebuilt a K&B for a friend who did.

With that combination of sliding metal, I'd use at least 22 or even 25% oil and probably half of it castor. I'd probably start with 5% nitro, since that engine has got plenty of moxy to haul a good-sized plane. You can go check Randy's fuel suggestions in the article pinned at the top to see what he recommends.

Because of the metallurgy, the break-in routine is more old-school: light prop load, run it rich, lots of lubrication, don't let it overheat but you want the ring to wear in and seat. Start with a 4-stroke and work your way up to a middle 2-stroke as you put heat cycles on it. Don't run it hot and collapse the ring. Just guessing here, but for break-in, I'd be thinking about an 11x4 prop, maybe a 12x4.

I believe the engine I worked on came off of a Score, which was no lightweight. I don't think the K&B setup is as well understood as the ST.60, which seems to be the easiest of the era for most guys to run. Not sure what size venturi was in the engine I tore down. I don't see that listed in my notes. Sorry.

Dave

Christopher Root:
I’ve got one of those engines.  MECOA helped me get replacement parts and break-in tips.  I think the K&B .60 is a direct descendent of that Veco engine

Air Ministry .:
korekt .

Were quite popular before they realised how heavy they are .

A Patternmaster / Strega etc , it would save noseweight , and work well .

The sturdyness means its pretty smooth & stable .

theolde ' pinch the fuel line & release - 2 sec max to return to 4 stroke , & youre in .

Id be 30 5 castor initially , then 25 , and not 20 till a few hours up . Nitro would wake it up ,
but theyre pretty powerfull , somaybe not neccesary . not for run in initially definately .

We presume its one of these : http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/K&B%20Lee%20Custom%20.61.html

the olde . 3 in bore intake witha 5/32 - in. - 4 m.m. spraybar'd be about right . ( 280 to 320 ish pending on airframe weight ) .
mightve been in the 80 Oz ' MARUT ' & others .

INDEED ! .

Dave Hull:
The guts of one KundBeast .61

You can see the front and rear bearings, and the slidey metal parts....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version