News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Veco 19  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Veco 19
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »

I have had this engine for a while, got it used, and don't remember where, or when, the questions that I have what nitro content, oil, all castor, or a blend and what oil content in a blend (syn v castor), as it is a ball bearing engine, what plug, and prop should be run on it.

Thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Veco 19
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
Gil, you didn't say whether it was plain bearing or BB, but the Veco instructions for these engines are attached.  The Model Aviation magazine (UK) broke the engine in on 70% methanol / 30% castor, but tested it on 25% castor / 25% nitro / 50% methanol.  It's a stout engine.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »

Steve, sure do thank you for that info. Will mix some fuel and run it some.  Again Thanks... y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
I have had this engine for a while, got it used, and don't remember where, or when, the questions that I have what nitro content, oil, all castor, or a blend and what oil content in a blend (syn v castor), as it is a ball bearing engine, what plug, and prop should be run on it.

For stunt, try 10% nitro, 22% blend or straight castor. Use a 10-4 or a 9-4 prop. It's one of the few vintage engines that can run with the modern equivalents. It's not a strong as a 20FP but it doesn't mind a 10-4 prop so you can get some of it back.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »
Ran in a NEW K&B Veco 19 , needed a second 1 1/4 litre of 30 % Castor , or ' sagged ' rather badly . no guts . On a TWIN . ( both the twin ball race ones )

Usually use 10 % nitro , but they start howling on 15 or 20 % . 8 x 6s timed at 88 mph , in speed . With a stunt twin .

Usually use 9 x 4s , or 8 x 6s . they ' fatten up ' rich nicely on the higher nitro . Tho 5 % is o.k.

The Vecos were set up pretty tight - new . So can require plenty of oil for a good while . So 25 for starters if ' a bit used ' Just in case .
Incidently were Two Venturie Sizes & two heads , high & low comp , in the veco days at least . The ' Hemi/ squish band ' is the usual .

The Enya 3 plug etc is o.k. . they dont seem overly fussy there .

incidently the case on the R. C. ones are shorter above the N V A hole , for the Carb .

Look at the sceptre flight engine tests for them . Typically you loose say 1.000 rpm muffled , but for stunt your not running it flat out .
I use the old 70s Fox 19 / 25 bush ( & 35 ) mufflers , as the outlets twice the size of the Veco ones . The end fastening ones, with a strap, home made .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:36:38 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
The West Coast Kabal flew many a Twister, Banshee and even Gieseke Noblers and Jetco Dolphins with the BB version of that dandy little engine in WAM (the now, alas, defunct Western Associated Modelers) Class A stunt.  Run in pretty much the Brett Buck fashion, low pitch, high RPM (far in advance of the TP revolution) they flew those types of models consistently well and were more predictable flight to flight than trying to get a perfect 4-2-4 on a Fox or even the Max .35s we loved a lot for our "pro" stunters of the era.

I seldom disagree with Brett but my memory said that the BB with a 10X4 Rev Up was superior to the FPs with the BB tune-up with planes of that size.

Full disclosure, I've not heard positive reports on the non BB version and have no personal experience with them.

Ted

Ted

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

I seldom disagree with Brett but my memory said that the BB with a 10X4 Rev Up was superior to the FPs with the BB tune-up with planes of that size.

In terms of overall power, the 20FP is well ahead. Jim "20 Point Ringmaster" Aron's 20 point Ringmaster went about 4.2 seconds/lap with the Veco 19BB. We switched to the 20FP/9-4 and it went 3.8 seconds a lap -  35% more power. The fact that it is OK with a 10-4 does tend to make up some of the difference in larger models, but (and I don't plan on doing any testing) I would probably throw in my lot with the 20FP. I don't recall ever trying them back-to-back in comparable conditions so I could be wrong.

One thing the Veco has all over the 20FP - you can still get one.

Brett

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
How good are the Veco engines that MECOA sells? Are they new or old stock?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
Theyre the ' K&B ' Veco . Dunno what else . K&B Box , anyway .

THESE are the FOX Muffler that will slip over the exhaust stack , use a home made strap to retain .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here