News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uniflow tank setup for Fox 35  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Uniflow tank setup for Fox 35
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »
Guys,
Recently I completed the build on an El Diablo for OTS. The ship uses a Fox 35 but I am having some run problems that I think are related to the tank venting. The tank is a 4 oz round plastic set up for uniflow with double clunks. The tank is air tight and center on center for the height. The plumbing exits the tank compartment in back of the engine. The uniflow vent is directly in back of the cylinder pointing straight up. With this location my thought was to keep the vent out of the draft and eliminate the up wind rich / down wind lean run cycle. What happen was the first few runs were a bit fat and slow but held rpm from launch to cutout, pretty much a perfect run just slow (10x6 prop, 8900 launch rpm, 7% fuel, 28% oil, Enya No4 plug). I did get to check upright and inverted lap times were the same and motor sounded the same.

When I started to bring the needle in to get to about 9200 rpm all seemed fine but once launched it broke lean and we were off to the races. Although the El D liked going fast it was strange because just when you got to the point were the uniflow vent uncovered it broke back rich and the 10 laps later cut. I tried muffler pressure and this held rpm to the point were the uniflow uncovered then broke lean.

Since the run has gone both ways I am pretty sure this is a tank problem. For the open uniflow I think the vent being located directly behind the cylinder put it in a dead spot and once the ship got to a certain speed it was in a negative pressure zone that made it harder for the engine to pull fuel causing it to go lean till the vent uncovered then it pull all it wanted and went rich, ah I think?

For the muffler pressure there may be two things working against each other. I used a ST NVA which reduces the venturi size a bit from the normal Fox spraybar. With the muffler pressure it required leaning the needle to get to a launch rpm (around 9000), now when the uniflow vent uncovered the tank acted like a conventional venting and the engine went lean (very lean). My flying buds use the muffler pressure into this same tank layout on a double star 54, 60 and it goes slightly lean at the end for about two laps. Could the high suction venturi caused by the ST NVA be setting up a situation were the needle is leaner than it would be with a larger venturi area and causing it to go way over at the end? I seem to remember that when we were first using crankcase pressure in the combat ships you had to remove the venturi inserts in the K&B 35's to get them to run right cause the normal suction would make the needle very difficult to impossible to set right, could this be the same with this setup?

Anyone have any experience like this? How did you resolve it?

Best,         DennisT

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Uniflow tank setup for Fox 35
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
Dennis,  with our Fox racers which are side mount profiles ,i have had a situation where the engine would stop on take off with the vent where u have it, .i ran a tube to the inside so that it was 1/2 in from the fuse and everything worked perfect .put it back to the origanal position and it would die again on take of  i have seen many work in the same position but this one wouldnt

i like to turn the tank so that the bubble is on the out side and put a solid copper uniflo tube in the bubble  .it works great for me plus you can rotate the tank to change your upright ,inverted settings.  Bob
rad racer

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »
On a proper "Uniflo" set-up it is usually best to have the uniflo vent inboard and ahead of the fuel tank in clean air. If you experience too much variation upwind/downwind, insert a restrictor in the uniflo line: i.e. if you're using a 1/8" OD tube as most do, slide a section of 3/32" inside of it. A well set up uniflo on a stunt engine should hold the in-air setting throughout the flight until the uniflo line uncovers, richen slightly, then lean out and quit. The duration of those last two is determined by the internal uniflo line position.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:18:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, I have made up several vent pipe configurations to reposition the vent into the air stream and will try it this weekend.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:52:57 AM »
I have a stash of the old KK one way valves which I use on open vented uniflow.  I have had excellent results running a Fox 35 with ST NVA on muffler pressure (no oneway) with uniflow.  Your engine should go slightly rich once the uniflow uncovers.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
You can file flats on the ST spray bar to get it smaller.  Tip from Leonard Neuman. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
While the problem may have already been solved, I would throw out a couple more thoughts. Some engines (maybe if not adequately run-in), benefit from a bigger venturi, because the engine passes more fuel and thus more oil and more cooling. Seems odd, but it makes sense, too. Less prop load might do the same, and give better performance. All 10-6's aren't the same.

I have never understood the logic of a uniflow clunking about. We know that with metal tanks, the uniflow vent end inside the tank is what really matters when getting the rpm the same upright/inverted. What would happen with the end of the uniflow vent moving around inside the plastic tank? Seems to me like the rpm would vary a lot, depending on where the uniflow clunk happens to land as it's thrashed about.

Finally...think about how a clunk can pickup fuel, considering the radius of the clunk. The bigger diameter the clunk, the more fuel should be left in the tank when it shuts down. Therefore, the bigger the uniflow clunk, the sooner the uniflow vent thinks you're about out of fuel, and the engine breaks lean. You might experiment with different clunks, particularly with tapered ones. I don't understand how the sintered bronze "filter clunks" would work for our purpose, because they'd "uncover" over a much broader fuel level. Ok for R/C, where it would not intentionally be run out of fuel, but uncool for our use. You're not using one of those?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
I have never had any luck with plastic clunk uniflow tanks with Fox 35's. I no there are others that seem to be able to make them work. The other thing that has been mentioned is that your Fox may not be broken in yet. I have seen some that run like that for up to two gallons of fuel before they settle down. I would also try a 10-5 APC prop. They seem to be magic on my Fox 35 powered Dragon.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
I also don't understand why the uniflow clunk works, but a friend uses them and gets excellent engine runs.  HB~>

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
I flew the EL D / Fox 35 this morning with the open vent uniflow extended out in the free air flow. Basically no real improvement. I then tried to reduce the engine load by going to a 9 x 6 old Top Flite prop, no real change. I then tried a half tank with the conventional vent open. This was a big improvement, didn't go crazy lean and held steady in all the maneuvers. I thought this was it. I then tried a full tank, I wasn't sure if this would work as the vent is in the tank bubble and it is just off center toward the inside. At takeoff it was great, then I did a climb and it went rich, it stayed rich until half the tank burned off and the vent uncovered then it ran like it did on the half tank test. I feel these tests show it is a tank problem. I intend to build a tin tank that can be run as either uniflow or conventional. Not sure if the Fox likes the uniflow, not sure why but will have options for either.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »
Guys,
Well, found the problem, head bolts not fully tight. Found this by dumb luck as I turned over the engine, seemed soft on the compression yet would flip fine. I followed my hunch and put the head into a container of water and turned it over, saw the head bubbling. Re-tightened all the head bolts, checked it again, all tight. I also added the 1/32" plywood mount pads to have some "crush" room under the mounts just in case. Flew it today, solid run on muffler pressure.

Best,         DennisT
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:02:16 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
I also don't understand why the uniflow clunk works, but a friend uses them and gets excellent engine runs.  HB~>

I wondered about that too. I think it works only because it clunks to about where you would put the vent anyway.

Brett

Offline Jim Marshall

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »
From reading most of but not all of the posts on this subject, I get the feeling that fellas using plastic tanks vented Uniflow are not mating the clunk of the uniflow vent line with the fuel pickup line.  My practice has been to use copper wire and bind the fuel pickup line with the uniflow line with the uniflow clunk about 1/4" inch behind the pickup line...This has worked well for me using 10% nitro w/24% castor on Fox 35's & OS 35-40 FP equipt stunters....The 1/4" distance of the uniflow clunk from the pickup clunk seems to be a workable distance in a plastic tank works fine for me...  H^^   

Advertise Here
Tags: tank  venting 

Advertise Here