News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turbine Oil  (Read 2053 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Turbine Oil
« on: November 01, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »
just got back from the Top Gun R/C scale event .got to see two 1/3 scale ships go head to head at eye level ,not Pretty$$$$$$$$
anyway one of the vendors was selling Turbine oil rated at over 40,000 RPM .has anyone ever tried Turbine oil in a glow or diesel motor,RAD
rad racer

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
Re: Turbine Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »
Any pictures of that crash?
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »
When I bought a Stalker 61 there was a note in the box saying to only use a synthetic oil, never castor. Never having used a synthetic and not wanting to use any synthetic designed to cool electrical transformers :) I used the only synthetic I was familiar with and had some on hand, Mobil Jet Oil II. It mixed perfectly with methanol (no nitro) and never seperated out. I mixed up 5 litres, ran in the engine and flew out the remainder with no problems at all. Once I used it all up, and being a bit of a cheapskate at the time, I went back to my usual castor because castor was about half the price of the jet oil. The only problem with the Mobil oil is that it has a fairly heavy brown dye which might stain some paint finishes but there are other turbine oils that are clear, like BP2380.

Turbine oils are actually an EP gear oil because, in a turbine engine, the gear box is the sump. I've never heard of any turbine oil being rated for (x)RPM though.

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
    If you use oil from a cooling coil of high voltage transformers  the chances are very high the lubrication properties  are minimal.  I wouldn't take a gamble on that stuff.
  John L.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
this is advertised as full SYNTHETIC
rad racer

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »
George Aldrich wrote/spoke about using or experimenting with "Turbine Oil" from time to time. I would guess that Randy Smith might know something about it. I'm not sure who else to ask...maybe John McCollum or Bill Lee.  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:19:57 PM »
just got back from the Top Gun R/C scale event .got to see two 1/3 scale ships go head to head at eye level ,not Pretty$$$$$$$$
anyway one of the vendors was selling Turbine oil rated at over 40,000 RPM .has anyone ever tried Turbine oil in a glow or diesel motor,RAD

I would  advise  you to stay  away  from  Turbine  oil, It will not  work as  well  as  the conventional oils  we  use,  I tried  some years  ago, and  got a  lot more  heat and  wear
I have an article  pinned  at the top of this  section that covers  oils

Randy

Offline PaulGibeault

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
HI Bob,

I use Mobil Jet II turbine oil as an after run / long term storage inhibiting oil. I also use it in my metal tanks to stop them from corroding in between contests.

This has been tested and is used regularly by (multi class) AMA speed record holder Jerry Rocha of Napa, CA. Jerry is the highest performing and most consistently fast speed
flier (in many different classes) that I've ever known. Jerry regularly wins the NATS and often on his first flight of the day.

The late Greg Settles told me he used 1/2% in his unlimited nitro fuel which he found to lower his cyl. head temp by 50 degrees. I forgot to ask him if that made him go any faster.

It is a bit of extra work to flush out my tanks before every contest, but not that big of a deal. (Contests being less & less these days)

I do note that this turbine oil contains Tricresyl Phosphate which is not recommended to be on exposed skin, so a level of caution (gloves) should be exercised if using this oil to prevent direct contact with your skin. That being said I have been around this product for 40 years servicing jet engines (almost daily), and with a modicum of care have not experienced any health issues from being exposed to it. MJ II must be a good product (at least in turbine engines) as it's used in the airline industry all over the world.

I hope this is of some value.

Merry Christmas

Paul

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 05:23:03 PM »
That being said I have been around this product for 40 years servicing jet engines (almost daily), and with a modicum of care have not experienced any health issues from being exposed to it.
What I didn't bother mentioning in my earlier post was that I was an aircraft engine fitter in the RAAF so have been around Jet Oil II for most of my 20+ years in the military.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
 If the oil includes TCP, it will not be any good for a glow engine. TCP used to be in automotive gasoline but when the government dictated all cars to have catalytic converters, TCP had to be removed since it destroyed the converters. Same problem with our glow plugs.

I use a small touch in my diesel fuel since TCP is an EP lubricant, and the diesels don't have that pesky glow plug in there.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
   My question about using an oil like this or any other exotic product that is intended for really extreme conditions such as turbine engines or turbo chargers, can it be of some detriment because the engine you are using it in does not get to those temps, RPMs, or pressures? Does that make sense? I don't know how else to put it.
  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 05:14:48 AM »
Turbine oil is made for rotating equipment. Most common use is in bearing housings and frames with frictionless (aka "ball") bearings.

Some people see the word "turbine" and think it's made for jet engines. Not the case. The gold standard in industry is Mobil DTE VG 68.

Most, if not all, turbine oils are somewhat limited in temperature applications.

The most common viscosity grade is ISO VG 68, but turbine oil viscosity may change dramatically with temperature.

Almost all turbine oils are loaded with additives too, anti-foaming, anti corrosion, etc. They should not be used in two-stroke motors!

Why? Because they aren't designed to be blended with other liquids. They are also designed for long life. Compare that to a two-stroke oil that is designed to be blended and only requires a very short life. I can get more technical,  talk about mers and hydroscopy and whatnot,  so if anyone wants to get all petro-nerdy feel free to IM me.

In peace,

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 05:23:38 PM »
Turbine oil is made for rotating equipment. Most common use is in bearing housings and frames with frictionless (aka "ball") bearings.
Not really. In a turbine engine the gearbox is the sump so the oil lubricates all the gears which is why I called it an EP (Extreme Pressure) oil. There's an oil pump of course which supplies oil to various bearings including the rotor bearings but it's relatively small and generally runs at around 40-50psi when above idle speed (at least with the engine I'm most familiar with).

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 05:49:25 AM »
Not really. In a turbine engine the gearbox is the sump so the oil lubricates all the gears which is why I called it an EP (Extreme Pressure) oil. There's an oil pump of course which supplies oil to various bearings including the rotor bearings but it's relatively small and generally runs at around 40-50psi when above idle speed (at least with the engine I'm most familiar with).

Hi Brian,

I would  humbly suggest you look up the PDS's for turbine oils.  Like I said, start with Mobil DTE, and it will give the applications.

Steam turbines - yes, turbine oils for the bearing frames which generally have IMO pumps and offboard lube reservoirs with cooling and reserve capacity (such as mandated by API standards) , but not in the sump of aircraft engines!

Any aircraft turbine engine I've been around has had very specific lubrication oil requirements, not a generic "turbine oil". I think the FAA would have issues with that!

Regarding "EP" lubricants, that's even more common in bearing greases. I think Mobilux EP has been used in electric motors for a long time. Could be wrong there but pretty sure. If you want to get into esoteric lubes like Krytox it gets really fun. 

In peace,

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:18:41 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
Hi Chuck
Not sure if we're talking about the same things here. You mentioned steam turbines but I'm talking about things like an afterburning turbo fan as used in the F-111, but also all other military turbines and I'd assume virtually all civilian gas turbines. Jet Oil 2 has a Mil Spec approval (MIL-PRF-23699) for all aircraft turbines.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 04:04:00 AM »
Brian, Correct. This thread started with someone asking if "Turbine Oil" would be good to use in our glow engines.

Turbine Oil is a generic term used for highly refined lubricating oils used in machines.

Gas turbine aircraft engines have some pretty unique oils they use since it must both lubricate the bearings and the gearboxes at high temps. Sometimes the mechanical seals are run wet too. 

Chuck
AMA 76478

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here