Engine basics > Engine set up tips

Tune pipe

(1/3) > >>

Larry Wong:
Does the rubber stinger have any effect on the tuning of pipe?

John Leidle:
  If you use a stinger with a smaller ID it will increase back pressure , restrict exhaust. Depends what you desire as to whether or not it's best for your engine. It might not be enough to even notice.. .
        One way to find out,  John L.

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Larry Wong on October 14, 2020, 07:57:16 AM ---Does the rubber stinger have any effect on the tuning of pipe?

--- End quote ---

It doesn't affect the tuned resonance. As John notes, it does effect the flow rate, and, depending on the engine and the size of the stinger and pipe, may affect the way it runs overall. We ran the 40/46VF with tiny stingers, and it didn't seem to make much differences. The RO-Jett 61 BSE needs the biggest exhaust outlet and stinger you can get - I use the largest Hattori stinger, and even a slight restriction kills the responsiveness.

Brett

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Lauri Malila on October 14, 2020, 09:46:57 AM ---The exhaust gases will eventually burn a hole in a plain silicone sleeve, and the resonance at least doesn't make situation better.
So, when doing adjustment we used to fill the gaps with short lenghts of header tubing.
So in my opinion it's better to play safe. It's not nice to find a hole in middle of a contest.

--- End quote ---

I think he is talking about the rubber angle at the exhaust end, called (here, anyway) the "stinger". Those do not melt.

I have also been using silicone couplers, and while they get pretty crusty on the inside after a while, I have never had one melt or otherwise fail causing a leak. Even the really big type, which was intended as an outlet tube for chainsaw engines, not a coupler.   One difference is that we also are perfectly OK running 7-8-9 ounces of fuel through it, instead of 3-4 for the same power, so we are definitely burning it at lower temperatures than you do.

Brett

Larry Wong:
Which one should I use  top 3/4” inlet twin exit or 5/8” smaller one ? Note the baffles are different

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version