News:

• May 07, 2024, 03:57:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop selection for Brodak 40  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Prop selection for Brodak 40
« on: June 26, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
I'm setting up my Brodak Oriental (ARC), running a Brodak 40.  What is a good starting point for the prop.  Can the engine handle a 11x4.5 prop?

Best regards,

Brew

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Prop selection for Brodak 40
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
I'm setting up my Brodak Oriental (ARC), running a Brodak 40.  What is a good starting point for the prop.  Can the engine handle a 11x4.5 prop?

Best regards,

Brew

Yes  the   Cyclone TT  or   Yoshioka  Cyclone  11 x 4.5  is a good choice,  many people use these

Randy

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 12:12:16 AM »
Good morning from S.W.France , we’re on holiday at the moment.

The APC 10.5 x 4.5 works a real treat on my early Brodak 40.

Hope this helps ,

Robin.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 05:34:26 PM »
Blocking off cooling to the cylinder head fins can help prevent "cold" running or seizing up during the early flight testing period. They often seize on the dives. Caused by sudden cooling after heating up during the climbs of the RWO, etc.  "Pipemaker Mike" made a nice "head muff" for his B.40 at my suggestion, and cured the stopping.

I didn't know what to expect after 20+ flights with the head muff, but it seemed to be a non-issue at some point. The key thing was keeping heat in the head, which protrudes down into the cylinder bore. When hot, this keep the cylinder round and helps loosen up the piston fit at the top of the stroke. The tight head fit in the cylinder is an old speed engine tuner trick, and resulted in banding stock heads, or making 2 piece "button heads".    D>K  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
I have an oriental ARF and it works great with the APC 10.5 x 4.5.
Regards,
Dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here