News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:03:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Teach me how to deal with ST46!  (Read 4076 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Teach me how to deal with ST46!
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:57:26 AM »
Years ago, I got a ST46 but never used it. Starting a new model, I realized that it would be perfect size to try the legend that is ST46. Since I've never worked with it, I am looking for help getting some answers.

1) For inverted install the NVA and muffler sit on the right side of the engine. I am using both Randy Smith NVA and muffler but somehow, the muffler interferes with the needle. Is there a special needle for this? Longer one
2) The exhaust openning has a small divot on the muffler attachment surface. I am afraid it will leak exhaust. Is there a way to fix this? Will JB weld hold? Should I use aluminum brazing? how does one fix this. the divot is about 1/8 wide and 1/64 deep.
3) how big of a tank does one need for a pattern?

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Teach me how to deal with ST46!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
FWIW: Steve, I'd put it on Da bay and sell it! H^^

Then I'd take the money and buy a couple LA 46's. This is my engine of choice because even I can get a good consistant engine run. And the best part is the parts are readily available. (And cheap too!) y1

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »
I dunno nutink bout ST 46, but howcome you can't reverse the needle valve?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »
Here's how I have dealt with these issues:

1) NV: Cut it shorter so the bend on the end is inside the barrel of the muffler and doesn't make contact. Take a piece of 9/32" brass tubing 3" long or so, cut a 3/16" slot the width of the NV on one side. Use this tool to turn the NV. It will keep your fingers away from the hot muffler. Once you get the NV set it won't need much adjustment anyway...or use a tongue muffler.

2) If it is a factory "divot" as I suspect, don't worry about it, tuned pipe logic doesn't apply here. The opening will only lessen back pressure and will not affect the engine run.

3) Plan on 5 ounces for the pattern, may vary. 8)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:52:27 AM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

steven yampolsky

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
Then I'd take the money and buy a couple LA 46's. This is my engine of choice because even I can get a good consistant engine run. And the best part is the parts are readily available. (And cheap too!) y1

Been there, done that. Have trophies to prove. What LA is lacking is HISTORY. I want to understand what made ST46 such a special engine.
There is nothing like a sound of a ST46. It's like a Harley: not the latest in horsepower and technology but boy does it sound good.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »
Thank you for the info! I have a follow up question on 1)

1) NV: Cut it shorter so the bend on the end is inside the barrel of the muffler and doesn't make contact. Take a piece of 9/32" brass tubing 3" long or so, cut a 3/16" slot the width of the NV on one side. Use this tool to turn the NV. It will keep your fingers away from the hot muffler. Once you get the NV set it won't need much adjustment anyway...or use a tongue muffler.

I've seen someone use a similar concoction but is there a way to use, say OS NVA. they don't have the L shape to the needle and are super easy to set up.

What about remote nva? has anyone done that?

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
I think you can probably still get the Harry Higley long Tigre needles. Maybe from Tower or RSM. I agree with you Steven on the fact that the newer tech works great, but it looses something in the sound and working performance. I still ride an old Harley with a carb. Just can't wrap my head around the new stuff. It is what I call mechanical presence, or man and machine, or-----.
Jim Kraft

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »
Steve, one of the best ST 46 people on the earth lives down the road from you...call Len Harding!
ama 72090

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:30:36 PM »
Steven, The worst part of an ST 46 are things called rings. it is difficult to keep the performance going because of ring problems. Do yourself  favour when that time comes and get a Brian Gardiner ABC P/L. You gain reliability and the ST 46 sounds the same. This is the engine that the ST46 should have been and rarely was.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

steven yampolsky

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:18 AM »
Steve, one of the best ST 46 people on the earth lives down the road from you...call Len Harding!

This is one of the reasons I'm using this engine. It's been set up by Len so I KNOW it will be awesome

steven yampolsky

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
Steven, The worst part of an ST 46 are things called rings. it is difficult to keep the performance going because of ring problems. Do yourself  favour when that time comes and get a Brian Gardiner ABC P/L. You gain reliability and the ST 46 sounds the same. This is the engine that the ST46 should have been and rarely was.

Andrew.

Thank you Andrew for the info. I did exactly that: bought an ABC set a few years back and had Len Harding set it up for me. Shame not to use this beauty.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
Well we both got that one right! you should have a really good reliable stunt engine with HISTORY. Enjoy it.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »
Steve   Do not run any more than 20% total oil and have at least half of it be synthetic. It will only use 4 ounces of fuel to to the pattern. I am still running the very first ST.46ABC that I did the testing on for Brian. I have run as little as 15% total oil and it runs in a perfect stunt run. That motor passed 1000 runs a long time ago.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
Steve, you might want to look at this NV setup to get away from the muffler/NV access problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy Aero could provide these, but PSP often advertises in MA. They're primary thing is Pylon Racing.
http://www.pspec.com/default.asp   :-\ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
Steve, you might want to look at this NV setup to get away from the muffler/NV access problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy Aero could provide these, but PSP often advertises in MA. They're primary thing is Pylon Racing.
http://www.pspec.com/default.asp   :-\ Steve

Hi Steve
I have the NVAs  with the fuel pickup and needle  on the same side

Randy

steven yampolsky

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »

Hi Steve
I have the NVAs  with the fuel pickup and needle  on the same side

Randy

Thank you Randy! Left you a VM.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Thank you Andrew for the info. I did exactly that: bought an ABC set a few years back and had Len Harding set it up for me. Shame not to use this beauty.

That changes the whole thing. I don't know anyone who has run it with the ABC enough to really reach the same level of knowledge that we had with the original. It should be a whole lot better than the original, but it will definitely be different. I encapsulated the best setup we had on it back in the day over on SSW about 12 years ago, so might be worth digging that out.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here