News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .35 Mystery  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox .35 Mystery
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
So I've been collecting about a half dozen Fox .35's, most from the early 50's without the enclosed head bolt bosses. I was sorting through parts and cases, trying to figure out what's salvageable and what I can pitch or donate to our TGD Contest raffle.

I came across a really neat backplate gasket that makes perfect sense, as opposed to the crappy factory cork gasket that pinches the backplate ears. Somebody needs to produce (laser cut) these! Are these home made or an early factory gasket?

Also there was one cylinder liner that had a machined hole just below the bypass port. An attempt by Fox to eliminate the dreaded Fox burp or ? Never seen this on a Fox .35

Stupid Cat!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .35 Mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
Backplate
AMA 656546

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »
Cylinder Liner
AMA 656546

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
For some reason I had trouble posting with pics. All files were less than 1000 KB?
AMA 656546

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »
Not too much to contribute to the Fox stuff except (as I remember) when I took the sleeve out of a newer Fox, (I think) it had the same small hole.  I called Fox to order a new crank case (long sad story) and when I asked about the hole, I was told it was simply a manufacturing issue and did not affect the run.  My memory is a bit foggy as this happened at the end of 2008 just after I got back into the hobby after a 55-ish year layoff.

As for your "Stupid Cat", here is a picture of mine.  We had to put her to sleep just 2 weeks ago as she developed Lymphoma and it was well along when we discovered it.  Her name was Lily because she found us around Easter of 2004.  She was skin and bones at that time and had a BB in her side.  Although she carried the BB with her "at all times" you can see she never got close to "skin and bones" again.  Enjoy your "Stupid Cat" because you will miss her when she is gone.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 04:01:20 AM »
                  A very good solution to the Fox stock cork gasket is to lap the crankcase flat on a piece of glass using 400 grit paper and oil. A quick glance will reveal how poor the surface is once you start sanding. When complete, I glue sandpaper onto the case ( grit facing out) with the center cut out I install the backplate. I lap the backplate into the case against the sandpaper. This flattens distorted ears to a degree but allows the cork to fit better onto the backplate itself. It prevents the radius from squeezing out the gasket. If I find the need to remove the backplate, I can usually reuse the gasket several time by just reapplying oil to the gasket. Certainly more work than the gasket you show. I certainly feel that's a better design due to causing less stress on the ears. Ken

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:02:02 AM »
     Hi Doug:

When I was being taught the machine shop practices, I was taught that this hole is called a hobbing hole.  It was used to locate the piece of work in the same position as it was machined by different machines. Hobbing was a method of cutting material on a milling machine,  There were also hobbing cutters to make some of these cuts.

Stay well,

Frank

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
                  A very good solution to the Fox stock cork gasket is to lap the crankcase flat on a piece of glass using 400 grit paper and oil. A quick glance will reveal how poor the surface is once you start sanding. When complete, I glue sandpaper onto the case ( grit facing out) with the center cut out I install the backplate. I lap the backplate into the case against the sandpaper. This flattens distorted ears to a degree but allows the cork to fit better onto the backplate itself. It prevents the radius from squeezing out the gasket. If I find the need to remove the backplate, I can usually reuse the gasket several time by just reapplying oil to the gasket. Certainly more work than the gasket you show. I certainly feel that's a better design due to causing less stress on the ears. Ken

Ken,
You know that I just have to say that it would be better to buy an engine with better fits,gaskets,screws etc and certainly better run characteristics than a Fox 35. No engine that I know gets more verbiage than this one and for good reasons as you well know. That people still make excuses for the readily apparent shortcomings is more puzzling than the old question 'why are we here'.
I've seen yours and some of the Philly flyers engines run and I still say that if I had to do all of that to get the critter to run I'd fly rubber band models.

Dennis

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
My cat's a male that gets into everything. He requires a lot of attention, hence the sarcasm. He's a good mouser and very territorial. I'll keep him, lol.
The hobbing holes make sense, used for indexing the ports I assume.
AMA 656546

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »
Sorry I misspoke about the "sexual orientation" of you cat.  I'm normally pretty good about that kind of thing, but admittedly, more accurate in the more "developed" specie.

We now have 4 cats.  We have an orange male that was a rescue and I will have to say, his is eternally mischievous and needy.  He just gets into everything.  He is our first experience with a male, and probably our last.  Lily, the kitty that just passed away, was also very needy.  She liked to ride around on my shoulder.  The problem got to be that if I was working on something, like a plane, if she wanted to ride on my shoulder, she simply jumped aboard.  Not always a great deal.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
               Dennis, while some of us like green M&M's a few of us still like the red ones. #^

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
               Dennis, while some of us like green M&M's a few of us still like the red ones. #^

I don't know Ken. According to the commercials I like the brown ones, they're female. LOL

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
For some reason I had trouble posting with pics. All files were less than 1000 KB?

The limit is 1,000 kb total for all the picture files in each post, not each picture you post.

IrfanView does a nice job of resizing and compressing pictures, and it's FREEware. It's also easy to figure out. If I could figure it out, most anybody can. I had Olympus and Canon software and couldn't figure it out...but can process a jpeg with IrfanView in under 15 seconds...and get them down to under 100kb, often first try. As far as I know, you want to use jpeg type files, as they're the most compact...least kb. I have noticed that I can get a jpeg right on 50kb and not be able to post it on SSW...I think because the name of the picture adds a kb or two. I try to make my picture titles contain the information I have on it, so they may get a bit long.

I suggest resizing to 500 to 800 pixels wide, save and then compress at about 80% or a bit less. Later, you can skip the intermediate "saves", after you've gained some confidence and experience. When I first go through my pictures after transferring them from the camera, I give it a title with all the info I have. At each step in the rework, I just add %, %%, %%%, etc., to give me a clue as to which version is which. When I'm done, I delete all except the last version and then remove the %'s from it. They are transferred from camera into a desktop folder called "Test Pictures". You can call it what you want, of course, but avoid getting it confused with folder names in "My Documents", which is where I store my pictures...in a folder called "Model Pics and Plans" or maybe in an alternate folder, "Model Information", which is more for text, but also includes "how to" articles. Just FYI.

When taking digital pictures, it's really critical to be aware of the background. You don't want to post a picture of a model plane sitting on grass or rough textured surface, because that sort of background takes a lot of kilobytes. We're interested in a crisp picture of that fine model airplane, not your lawn!  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »
I bought a brand new seised up 1970s Fox 35 at the VSC.  Got it loose after a couple of oven sessions.  I used a O ring on the backplate.  I haven't run it yet to see how it works.  I've routinely used O rings on screw in backplates.

Incidentally, the singular of the biological species is species.  Specie is money.

If it works to suit me, I don't care if it is a Fox.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
<snip>  I used a O ring on the backplate.  I haven't run it yet to see how it works.  I've routinely used O rings on screw in backplates.

Does the backplate sit flush on the case when you do that?
I'd bevel the case edge slightly and machine a groove in the backplate for the O-ring if I did that (depending on which backplate you used)
AMA 656546

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »
       Doug, one of my club members does just as your suggesting . The inside of the case is not exactly true and round. He takes a pass in the lathe to clean up the inside. He then machines backplates from  graphite impregnated  Delrin with a o-ring groove. Not all Fox cases however are created the same. Some can be very thin towards the bottom of the case. While not necessary, it works quite well. The stock backplate isn't deep enough to properly keep the rod in place as is. This is the reasoning for the stuffer backplate. The Fox stuffer backplate is a machined part not casted. There's no worries of breaking or bending ears and there's no radius in the inside corner to distort the gasket. In addition it's coated with a hard anodized coating. Ken

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
The gasket you show looks like one  that Eric Rule  of  RSM cuts on his  laser, they hole is for locating on machines and is normally on the exhaust side, and has  NO affect  on charging of the cylinder.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here