News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too much castor oil in fuel. What are the negative effects?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Too much castor oil in fuel. What are the negative effects?
« on: April 07, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »
       The effects of too little castor oil in a fuel mix is well known.  What are the effects of too much castor oil in the fuel mix?

Tla,

Frank

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Too much castor oil in fuel. What are the negative effects?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 12:49:18 AM »
Too much castor?

1.   Harder to keep the plug lit and the engine running. Will flame out on inside loops with an inverted engine. Opposite for upright
2.   Reduced fuel draw, especially when it is cold out due to very high viscosity. Your needle valve may unscrew so far it leaks or falls out
3.   Reduced power, since you are not burning the castor and it is displacing the alcohol and nitro
4.   You have to carry a squeegee to scrape it off the plane so you can pour it back into the fuel jug. Recycling, you know....

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 01:15:27 AM »
       The effects of too little castor oil in a fuel mix is well known.  What are the effects of too much castor oil in the fuel mix?

Tla,

Frank
     There is no simple answer to your question the way you phrased it. Way too many variables. How much are you calling Too Much? Opinions on this are all over the map, and that remains true even if you included some qualifying data, like: What kind of engine? ABC? AAC?  Iron?  ringed?  lapped? ball rearing? Bushing? Glow? Diesel?. What application? Like: Stunt? 2-2? 2-4? Pipe? Muffler? Racing? Speed? How much Nitro?
     Randy's general tips on fuel in the pinned section are good safe starting points. Non precision, older, iron piston engines are definitely happier on more castor and some of them actually go faster on all castor fuel in high performance applications.
     In general, if you use more than needed for a given engine type it will cause more gum and carbon. Some claim fuel flow issues in the cold but I flew stunt planes in the 60's in the Eifel mountains in Germany when it was below freezing with snow and never had an issue before synthetic oil was available. Our fuel there was 20% castor and 5-10% nitro (Fox 35 stunts, K&B greenheads, and McCoy 35's)
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 06:49:17 AM »
     Hi:

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Yesterday, I added castor oil until the engine would not run.  Nothing very scientific, but informative.  No damage done.

My chain saw uses a 50-1 mix and runs at 12,000 rpm.  Why can’t I run my OS stunt engine at 9,200 rpm on a 50-1 mix? Has anybody seen reliable test data re. various fuel/lube ratios? If so, kindly post the sources.  I have heard many rumors of miracle lubrication schemes but, no actual proof!

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 08:07:50 AM »
Frank,
Generally, up to about 30% will work. This was an old trick some used to trim compression (worked well in fix compression diesels) since the oil for the most part doesn't burn or add to the power it takes up space an adds compression. In a way that's what Fox used to get the 35 to run better, plus the extra oil carries away some heat.

So how much castor did you add to get to the point it would not run?

Best,   DennisT

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 09:18:30 AM »
My chain saw uses a 50-1 mix and runs at 12,000 rpm.  Why can’t I run my OS stunt engine at 9,200 rpm on a 50-1 mix?

I guess a gasoline / oil mixture - even an oil lean one - is considerably easier to get and keep running when you have a constant and permanent ignition source ie. spark plug and with a fuel with more power capacity so doesn't have to run so rich. I only use shop bought fuel so can't speak from experience but it sort of makes logical sense to me!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 09:20:40 AM »
  Define "too much" castor oil?  You don't mention what engine. You can't compare model engines to what you mix for a chain saw two stroke. The oil for the chain saw may be a concentrate. I have run certain types of oil in my vintage dirt bikes at almost 100:1 as per the factory recommendations with no problems, but I generally run it less than that. The oil that I run in those is a concentrate. If you know what works well in your engines, just stick to that and be happy. Why waste time, oil and glow plugs experimenting just to see what happens. At our ages, we can't afford to lese any of each!!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 10:45:41 AM »
I have most always run more oil than what others are doing with no bad affects.  I'm sure there is a point with most engines where you gain nothing and may cause issues.  I have been puzzled over the years why people try to get away with as LITTLE oil as possible.  (?)  Oil is cheaper than new engines.  Sure you will get some more 'slime' on your airplane but it's going to be there anyway-what difference does that make?  Hurt performance?  Maybe a little in speed or racing events.  We fly stunt with a usual abundance of extra power if needed.  More oil usually makes for a smoother running engine as well,  and one that 'cycles' more predictably if set up to run that way.  People have often commented on how nice the Fox runs in my Classic Neptune.  Had one gent go on about my stuffer backplate, hemi head , yada, yada.  Had to stop him and say " No,  box stock 1959-60 model running on the same fuel Duke told everyone to run it on-28% all castor".  Even 25% and it doesn't run the same or cycle as I wish.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »
I have most always run more oil than what others are doing with no bad affects.  I'm sure there is a point with most engines where you gain nothing and may cause issues.  I have been puzzled over the years why people try to get away with as LITTLE oil as possible.  (?)  Oil is cheaper than new engines. 

I am not sure about anyone running as little oil as possible, but you can certainly get smoother runs and/or more power withe less oil, assuming your engine can safely handle it. And, you don't end up varnishing up the insides, taking your tenth of a thousandths fits of an AAC cylinder/piston and gumming it up with .002 of sticky residue.

More oil = more fuel viscosity = more fuel system drag.

Frank did not mention what engine he is talking about. Fox/McCoy/Johnson, can tolerate or require a huge amount of oil, and the Johnson used a sintered iron piston that *required* varnish/carbon buildup to seal.  Clearances were super-sloppy. You RO-Jett AAC cylinder has clearances measured on the order of .0001" from the factory, trying shear castor oil with that creates tremendous drag. My engines won't even run reliably on Powermaster GMA fuel (22% 50/50) or similar mixes. It will run on Powermaster RO-Jett with 17% low-vis synthetic/5% castor), and it won the NATs on Powermaster "Sport" fuel with 17% total oil.  I have been running the same cylinder/piston assembly since the 2007 team trials on, for the most part, 17% oil with 3/4 synthetic.

Similarly, we have abundant evidence that fuel line drag causes all sorts of funnies on a stock PA NVA with the usual Prather "medium" tubing on a range of engines, relieved by reducing the drag, or again, *running less or thinner oil*. We solved several independent "flame out" issues on PAs by running fuel with 17% straight synthetic. I have had to assist at least one person who, after running a RO-Jett 76 with a bunch of added castor (up to Fox Superfuel proportions) that could not be started in cool and humid conditions because it was so varnished up that the piston was sticking halfway up.

So, to answer the question, every time we have tried running less or thinner oil, or reduced the fuel system drag, the engine ran better, or in some case, was necessary to make it run at all. I can't tell anyone else what their particular engine and fuel system setup needs, but we are trying to compete with what amounts to stone knives and bearskins, so you cannot afford to give up any sort of performance or run quality/run control. I have seen exactly zero ill effects in terms of wear down to - so far - 17% total oil, straight SIG or Powermaster RC sport fuel straight out of the can, or SIG Syn-Power.

That's why.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 01:13:16 PM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 10:07:44 AM by Lauri Malila »

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
I generally use 23% oil in the RO Jetts.  That is 50/50 castor/synthetic.  I do run on the low rpm scale with long pipe and more pitch which COULD be some of the difference-Brett you run on the higher rpm scale by comparison.  When I back off the oil OR use a heavier synthetic mix the engine runs sound different and feel more uneven and when they do break (not too often for me) it is not as predictable.  I have had all four .76's rebuilt but the issue there has been scratching internally due I'm sure from my flying field which is an ancient sandy river bottom with some blowing dust in the air sometimes.  Even with the panty hose enough gets through so that a re-hone and oversize piston is in order every few years as well as new bearings.  I wish I could rig screen material similar to what is in the fuel filters over the venturi.  It may be fine enough mesh to make a difference.  I've tried those foam things-until the big Jetts suck them in.......

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 04:19:57 PM »
      I am not sure about anyone running as little oil as possible, but you can certainly get smoother runs and/or more power withe less oil, assuming your engine can safely handle it. And, you don't end up varnishing up the insides, taking your tenth of a thousandths fits of an AAC cylinder/piston and gumming it up with .002 of sticky residue.

More oil = more fuel viscosity = more fuel system drag.

Frank did not mention what engine he is talking about. Fox/McCoy/Johnson, can tolerate or require a huge amount of oil, and the Johnson used a sintered iron piston that *required* varnish/carbon buildup to seal.  Clearances were super-sloppy. You RO-Jett AAC cylinder has clearances measured on the order of .0001" from the factory, trying shear castor oil with that creates tremendous drag. My engines won't even run reliably on Powermaster GMA fuel (22% 50/50) or similar mixes. It will run on Powermaster RO-Jett with 17% low-vis synthetic/5% castor), and it won the NATs on Powermaster "Sport" fuel with 17% total oil.  I have been running the same cylinder/piston assembly since the 2007 team trials on, for the most part, 17% oil with 3/4 synthetic.

Similarly, we have abundant evidence that fuel line drag causes all sorts of funnies on a stock PA NVA with the usual Prather "medium" tubing on a range of engines, relieved by reducing the drag, or again, *running less or thinner oil*. We solved several independent "flame out" issues on PAs by running fuel with 17% straight synthetic. I have had to assist at least one person who, after running a RO-Jett 76 with a bunch of added castor (up to Fox Superfuel proportions) that could not be started in cool and humid conditions because it was so varnished up that the piston was sticking halfway up.

So, to answer the question, every time we have tried running less or thinner oil, or reduced the fuel system drag, the engine ran better, or in some case, was necessary to make it run at all. I can't tell anyone else what their particular engine and fuel system setup needs, but we are trying to compete with what amounts to stone knives and bearskins, so you cannot afford to give up any sort of performance or run quality/run control. I have seen exactly zero ill effects in terms of wear down to - so far - 17% total oil, straight SIG or Powermaster RC sport fuel straight out of the can, or SIG Syn-Power.

That's why.

Brett

I unequivocally agree with everything Brett mentioned. At last year’s NATS, Dave and I overhauled my 75 setup and it fixed the *very* small issues I was having with my setup. This was the drilled out NVA, larger Venturi and big fuel tubing. This fixed the minor surging I was having in undesirable places in the pattern.

However, one of the biggest changes was changing from my home brew 15% to the low viscosity 15% all synthetic heli fuel (23%) oil from Powermaster. The motor ran smoother, ran a deeper four cycle and had improved economy. My home brew mix was Klotz Super Techniplate, which is 20% castor and 80% synthetic. This year’s mix will be Klotz KL-198 light techniplate, with about 1/2oz of Blendzall low viscosity castor mixed in per gallon.

Back to the fuel system drag, while I’ve been painting the new airplane, I have been breaking in the new 75. After I ran it on the bench for about an hour, I made the NVA mods, installed the spigot in a fresh #7 Venturi and put it back on the bench. The result was about 500 more RPM and similar run time on the bench as well. The needle was also screwed in about 1 1/2 turns from where it started and wasn’t as sensitive to movements.

It’s fascinating stuff and fun to experiment with!
Matt Colan

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 06:42:07 PM »
I unequivocally agree with everything Brett mentioned. At last year’s NATS, Dave and I overhauled my 75 setup and it fixed the *very* small issues I was having with my setup. This was the drilled out NVA, larger Venturi and big fuel tubing. This fixed the minor surging I was having in undesirable places in the pattern.

It's a very tiny effect, and it just fixes a few little "funnies" here and there, "funny" being defined as inexplicably breaking in to a two-stroke for a few fractions of a second here and there. It's not as smooth as the Jett 61, but it's not like the random throttle blip effect that always plagued us on the PA61 and David had now and then on the 75.

Note for those reading this - the spraybar modification is unique to the PA, not the Jett (any of them) because the the original intent was to replicate the Jett spraybar. Although the needles are the same thread and effectively interchangable* the spraybar OD is different, so you can't just put a Jett spraybar in a PA. Also, I tried the same sort of modification to enlarge the inlet side of the Jett, and could tell no difference, maybe because I am running 3/4 the fuel that you run on the PA, and maybe because it is bigger to begin with and I could only get about .005 more diameter out of it.

I don't encourage anyone to do this modification who doesn't (1) know *exactly what they are doing*, (2) have a NATs Top 5 quality run already as a baseline, which is possible with a completely stock PA75, and (3) have an unmodified spare spraybar or spraybar(s) in case they screw it up. No offense to anyone, but I think that narrows the applicability to  about 5 people beyond David, Matt, and I.

Brett

*There's one intentional difference between the PA and Jett needles - the Jett needles are only threaded the bare minimum to bottom out on the seat, and the PA is threaded far beyond that. The effect is that on the Jett, the teflon washer runs on the smooth part of the needle rather than the threads, hypothetically sealing better. I have several PA and Jett needles, and there are unintentional differences in the shape at the pointy end, within reasonable tolerances for grinding a thin steel rod, but enough you can tell the difference. I pick the ones that have the smallest/pointiest ends for better response. I ran both the bare ones and the threaded ones, after a few cycles, it cuts threads into the teflon, they don't have any difference and do not leak.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2023, 08:34:44 PM »

installed the spigot in a fresh #7 Venturi and put it back on the bench. The result was about 500 more RPM and similar run time on the bench as well. The needle was also screwed in about 1 1/2 turns from where it started and wasn’t as sensitive to movements.

[/quote]
Just curious. What is the ID of a "#7" venturi?
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2023, 09:18:23 PM »
installed the spigot in a fresh #7 Venturi and put it back on the bench. The result was about 500 more RPM and similar run time on the bench as well. The needle was also screwed in about 1 1/2 turns from where it started and wasn’t as sensitive to movements.

Just curious. What is the ID of a "#7" venturi?

Drilled or reamed to a diameter of #7 AWG, IOW, a #7 "number drill", 0.201". This is not a particularly large venturi and presumably contains a spigot of the usual configuration, too. The 75 could "pull" much, much more. But this is the range it runs in David's setup.

I also note that the diameters of drills 4-8 are 0.2090", .2055", .2040", .2020", and .1990". I don't know what size venturi Matt had before, but I have run all those diameters on the RO-Jett, and a .002" jump from say a #7 to a #6 is clearly detectable, from a #6 to a #5 is a very distinct jump. I can set my engine up to work best with any of those, but there are changes to a lot of things to get it all working together. I settled on the system setup around a #5, after trying all those sizes (and the original #12 with no spigot).

Compare and contrast this with almost every other thread about venturis, where people are jumping around by 1/16" or larger a step, replacing a .257 with .273, or factors of two on the choke area. Do that and you have no hope of figuring out what is going on.

Brett

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 01:41:44 AM »
I have found castor oil will cause your engine to stick or lock up if you let it sit long enough.  You can use a heat gun to free it up, but usually your wrist pin will stick in the connecting rod.  The wrist pin will then move in the piston which has no bushing like the rod.  It will wear the piston and cause play at TDC.   On four stroke engines castor oil will make the valves and cam followers stick.  Also, on rc engines it will make the carburetor barrel stick.  If castor oil is allowed to bake on the head or exhaust it will turn black and ugly.   Still I use castor oil in everything thing I run.  That is rc 2 / 4 strokes, cl 2 strokes, helicopters TT 39s, rc trucks OS 21TM and traxxas 21s. I even use it in gas rc boat and yard equipment.  I used castor oil in my yamaha YZ 2 stroke motorcycles.  It is, if used correctly a very good protection from oil break down.

Regarding dust damage I suggest seeing if you can adapt a rc off road truck air filter.  We run in sand and dust always.   The engines put out extreme power and RPMs.  I never get scratches on the piston or sleeve.  The filters are 2 stage foam with a special oil. 

Rusty

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 04:25:26 PM »
  Drilled or reamed to a diameter of #7 AWG, IOW, a #7 "number drill", 0.201". This is not a particularly large venturi and presumably contains a spigot of the usual configuration, too. The 75 could "pull" much, much more. But this is the range it runs in David's setup.

I also note that the diameters of drills 4-8 are 0.2090", .2055", .2040", .2020", and .1990". I don't know what size venturi Matt had before, but I have run all those diameters on the RO-Jett, and a .002" jump from say a #7 to a #6 is clearly detectable, from a #6 to a #5 is a very distinct jump. I can set my engine up to work best with any of those, but there are changes to a lot of things to get it all working together. I settled on the system setup around a #5, after trying all those sizes (and the original #12 with no spigot).

Compare and contrast this with almost every other thread about venturis, where people are jumping around by 1/16" or larger a step, replacing a .257 with .273, or factors of two on the choke area. Do that and you have no hope of figuring out what is going on.

Brett

My old setup was a #9 spigot. The Venturi that came with the 75 is a #13 (.185”). A stock 75 setup is about as idiot proof as it can get. I started experimenting little by little over the last 3 years and have worked my way more towards David’s setup. Curiously my fuel consumption has improved when I switched to Dave’s setup despite opening up the Venturi, NVA, pipe, fuel tubing etc.

The all/mostly synthetic fuel is another change for the better on my setup…once again thanks to David. I should’ve listened closer to him years ago!
Matt Colan

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 06:30:25 PM »
It was mentioned that the spraybar was drilled. What drill size is used? Do you drill all the way through or does the sparybar being drilled have a seat that the needle goes into that should not be drilled through? How far do you drill in?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 07:03:37 PM »
I'm interested in hearing the spray bar drilling technique, as well.

Regarding low oil, the Team Race folks have experimented with that in order to get maximum fuel economy.  Don't recall every detail, but the general idea was to reduce oil content until the engine wear was barely tolerable.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 09:56:35 PM »
It was mentioned that the spraybar was drilled. What drill size is used? Do you drill all the way through or does the sparybar being drilled have a seat that the needle goes into that should not be drilled through? How far do you drill in?

Best,   DennisT

Re-read Brett's post #13.  think it explains everything. This mod is pertinent to the PA needle only, I believe it says. it's basically opening up the needle a bit leading up to the seat portion. I have seen sketches provide to my flying buddy Mark and when he gets his net PA-75 plane ready, we are going to incorporate this to his set up. Most likely next year.
   Type at you later,
 Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »

I knew I was going to regret that. No one reading this should drill, grind, or machine anything on their engine, the chances are astronomical that you will screw it up and negligible that you will note any improvement. The exceptions already know who they are, they are running 5-port PA75s on Eather pipes using David's setup, and even then, most otherwise identical systems are not sufficiently refined to note any difference.

If you want to experiment with the reduction of fuel system drag in general, *use less oil* or *use thinner oil*. We know for certain that as long as nothing else is wrong, you can run 17% straight synthetic more-or-less indefinitely, thick or thin - on modern piped AAC engines. That means PA and RO-Jett, nothing else. Such a mixture will quickly destroy most of the engines used for stunt in the last 60 years.

Even then, you have to have a reliable baseline system that is proven over seasons of consistent operation to be able to evaluate the effects on the run. The easiest way is to baseline your system with 17% oil fuel like PowerMaster RC "Air" (the regular RC Sport fuel), and then, when you are fueling it, start by sucking up a small amount (a percent or two) of straight Klotz KL-198 straight from the bottle, then suck up the regular fuel and flil the tank with the mixture. It will take tiny amounts of the oil, but just fueling the airplane will mix it just fine. Then compare.

I apologize in advance for all those people who are going to ignore my admonition and drill a hole in your engine, and destroy it in the process.

Brett

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 10:56:10 AM »
Brett,

To set your mind at ease, I am going flying later today.  I will use an O.S. LA 46 with a common, undrilled ST NVA.  I may also run a Moki that has an unknown NVA.

That said, I'm a curious person and wonder what the before/after I.D. of the spray bar was in your experiments.

thanks both for the info and the admonition,

Peter

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Moki%2061.html

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 11:42:49 AM »
Brett,

To set your mind at ease, I am going flying later today.  I will use an O.S. LA 46 with a common, undrilled ST NVA.  I may also run a Moki that has an unknown NVA.

That said, I'm a curious person and wonder what the before/after I.D. of the spray bar was in your experiments.

Note that I am not letting my head explode from the ST Needle - which is bigger enough than a PA that it won't make any difference on a 46LA.

I note that David (and now presumably Matt) are using 8.5+ ounces of fuel for a 5:45 flight, your 46 is probably more like 4, so the flow rate is half and much less prone to "choking".

I caution everyone because even David screwed up his first spraybar in an attempt to increase the bore  - as Dennis suggests, it can only go so far or you will drill out the seat.

I presume I have now sold a bunch of new spraybars.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 03:00:09 PM »
My old setup was a #9 spigot. The Venturi that came with the 75 is a #13 (.185”).

9 to 7 is a pretty big change. Depending on how far you pushed in the spigot, the #7 might be close to the original choke of the unobstructed venturi, so that is a good test.

All of these options have tremendous fuel draw while still providing lots of power. We run larger venturis on 61 and still larger on 40's, which makes them much more "on the edge". That was the original idea behind David's 75 setup - try to get it to run as smooth as the Jett by running a smaller venturi, relatively small prop, and count on the extra displacement to make up the difference. I have run the 13-4s on the Jett, is has no issue with pulling the prop, and it's just a toothpick for the 75. I don't like the turn with the 13-4, so I went back to the 12.5.

Brett

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 04:48:06 PM »
  9 to 7 is a pretty big change. Depending on how far you pushed in the spigot, the #7 might be close to the original choke of the unobstructed venturi, so that is a good test.

All of these options have tremendous fuel draw while still providing lots of power. We run larger venturis on 61 and still larger on 40's, which makes them much more "on the edge". That was the original idea behind David's 75 setup - try to get it to run as smooth as the Jett by running a smaller venturi, relatively small prop, and count on the extra displacement to make up the difference. I have run the 13-4s on the Jett, is has no issue with pulling the prop, and it's just a toothpick for the 75. I don't like the turn with the 13-4, so I went back to the 12.5.

Brett

David had mentioned at the NATS that the new 75 he had in the plane was running a much larger Venturi, like a #3 or something like that. I could be very wrong and mistaken but that’s what I remember him saying.

I started running the David 13-4 prop just a couple months ago and it drastically improved the corner compared to the four blade I had been running the last few years. I want to try a 12” four blade still compared to the 12.75” I had been running and see if it is any good compared to the 13” eather. The corner on the 13” eather is pretty awesome though, not sure I could replicate it on a small four blade
Matt Colan

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2023, 05:47:21 PM »

I started running the David 13-4 prop just a couple months ago and it drastically improved the corner compared to the four blade I had been running the last few years. I want to try a 12” four blade still compared to the 12.75” I had been running and see if it is any good compared to the 13” eather. The corner on the 13” eather is pretty awesome though, not sure I could replicate it on a small four blade

On the topic of venturi sizes, none of these are anywhere near the limit. He can correct my recollection, but when Frank W. came up with the spigot venturi, I think he said he was running a .250 (not a misprint, 1/4"!) on a PA61. #3 is a mere .213. 

You were running a 12.75 4-blade?  I am not surprised the 13-4 3-blade cornered better.

How big is that airplane?  Mine is pretty big and I have noticed a significant difference in cornering (tightness and quality) between the 12.5 and 13 3-blades even on mine. And the last time we did a fly-around David commented that "you could hit the corner as hard as you want and nothing bad happens" or some such. You will definitely give up vertical performance - but it's a ** 75  **, how good do you need the vertical performance to be?

This is where a lot of old-timers have gotten led astray on performance, used to be, more prop was the only way to manifest more power, and since you were always power-limited, you used whatever prop it could handle and lived with the side effects. Not any more, even a 40 can put out far more power than you can use, so it's more about how the prop affects the cornering.

Brett

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2023, 06:19:56 PM »
   On the topic of venturi sizes, none of these are anywhere near the limit. He can correct my recollection, but when Frank W. came up with the spigot venturi, I think he said he was running a .250 (not a misprint, 1/4"!) on a PA61. #3 is a mere .213. 

You were running a 12.75 4-blade?  I am not surprised the 13-4 3-blade cornered better.

How big is that airplane?  Mine is pretty big and I have noticed a significant difference in cornering (tightness and quality) between the 12.5 and 13 3-blades even on mine. And the last time we did a fly-around David commented that "you could hit the corner as hard as you want and nothing bad happens" or some such. You will definitely give up vertical performance - but it's a ** 75  **, how good do you need the vertical performance to be?

Frank is awesome! He came to Dallas a few years ago with a pipe that had no baffle. It had the loudest 75 run I had ever heard. Ear piercing! Frank told me that’s how he likes it!

That airplane is pretty big. 64.5” span and 719 squares. But it’s a little heavy at 70oz. I was running 4.1 on pitch but it really needs to be at least 4.2 for a really good hourglass. That’s always been the weakest part of that plane’s flying capabilities. It’s outstanding everywhere else. The 3 blade also removed all the yaw I had with the 4 blade (to be expected). Not sure how much you were watching when we flew together the night before the top 5, but I was pushing the plane as hard as I possibly could and it yawed everywhere. Tripod videos between the sole top 5 flight and last time I went flying  of a much more crisp corner, and no visible yaw.

The new plane is slightly smaller, 63” and I think 690 squares. It’s also much lighter and will be 61-62 when I put it all together. I made some changes to the design that would be better suited in a different thread (or offline) rather than further leading this one astray. I hope it will help with vertical performance and presentation a bit.  Should have it done next week
Matt Colan

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2023, 06:41:40 PM »
For anyone wanting to wreck theyre Super Tigre SPAYBAR , the drill size is No. 53 ,  which is 1.5 m.m. . Reputeably . Ex Stunt News .

Reported easier needling , seems to be more responsive around the ' sweet spot ' .

Instructions were " pass through repeatably , by finger , to remove ang burr . Drill Through across , and the feed hole .

As its only taking it out around .2 m.m. , anyone who has worked in a Meatal Shop should have ' the touch ' to do it STRAIGHT .

As an aside ,
Back in the 70's Clarkson was experimenting with oil % ages for Goodyear & Team Race .
They found 12 % castor the muinimum , & 5 % synthetic . But they were after engine performance . NOT Life . So the Motors Did Not Last to long . They just didnt sieze . think it was the Ucon Snowmobile Synthetic .

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2023, 12:59:31 AM »
AirMiseries,

To continue your aside:

"Back in the 70's Clarkson was experimenting with oil % ages for Goodyear & Team Race .
They found 12 % castor the muinimum , & 5 % synthetic . But they were after engine performance . NOT Life . So the Motors Did Not Last to long . They just didnt sieze . think it was the Ucon Snowmobile Synthetic ."

Can you clarify the total oil package? Was it 12% castor and nothing else in a glow fuel configuration, or was this in diesel fuel? Or was it 12% castor plus 5% synthetic in a glow fuel mix? Or was that package in a diesel fuel mix? Or was it 5% Ucon with nothing else added? (Whooboy!)

Diesel fuel (kerosene) itself has significant lubricity, as compared to methanol.

And if the tests were done in the 70's, are we to assume that it was an iron piston in a steel sleeve? Or an aluminum piston with a ring in a steel sleeve, or was anything chromed?

Finally, if the rod wasn't bushed, and maybe not drilled for an oil hole, that may have been the weak spot in the "minimum oil adventure."

More details from your voluminous attic are requested....

And, back to another aspect the original poster brought up, talking about how little oil can be used in two-stroke motorcycle engines and chainsaws et al, I would note that all the ones I have taken apart had rolling element bearings in all the critical places. There are lots of reasons that these do not require near the lubrication of the plain bearings (journal bearings) that are common on model engine rods and many crankshafts on older or less expensive engines. My thought is always this: for those that dream of running 100:1 in your OS .46LA (or insert favorite IC gem here), would you try running a gallon jug of fuel consisting of 128 ounces with only an ounce and a quarter of any type of oil someone has convinced you to buy? That's just over two tablespoons worth. Yeah, I wouldn't either....

The use of high silicon aluminum pistons changes things somewhat. As does hard dense chrome. And people have experimented with diamond-like coatings. All with the same idea to avoid galling and metal transfer between two rubbing surfaces that do not have a continuous oil film during operation.

The Divot

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2023, 06:25:14 AM »
I BOUGHT A NEW IN THE PACKAGE  FOX HEMIHEAD KIT WITH THE STUFFER BACKPLATE FOR $25...THE HEAD BUTTON IS SEPERATE FROM THE HEAD...IS THIS A GOOD UPGRADE FOR A STOCK 35 STUNT...
AMA 21449

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2023, 07:21:53 PM »
GOOD QUESTION . !

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-35-hemi-head-7541/msg63779/#msg63779

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-35-hemi-head-37393/msg382031/#msg382031

read the last post in each . Might Pay to PIN the HEAD or suchlike ? .

=========================================================================

VD~

Roit ,

Clarkson & Cronnies , This From Memory , Definately a MVVS D-7 & I think K&B dieselised & perhaps early Nelsons . All IRON / MEHANITE . DIESELS , so has the Kero , Maybe Jet Kero .
maybe the magazines around , but theyre scattered . So verbatum is difficult . Unless https://rcbookcase.com/categories.php?publisher_id=6 Id be  1974 /76 Id Guess .

A THING they disc overed ( Wot Stockton / Jehlic KNEW ), was the drum Induction that thew the fuel UP , missed the BIG END , which suffered from indirect flow in cooling & lube .
Thus the reversed Tee Dee center feed allowed lower lube % .

:P

Spent the week  putting a S Tigre 60 set up in the Typhoon . the OS 80 had the same DRUM induction . Finally got a good ' proving flight on it - But was a pig to start etc .
So a major rework of the front end , and 12 ounce Vs 20 ounce - So theres no ballast forward . Way Forward . But might let the glue dry for a week .
Im not sure the Max 80 will be the latest thing in Control Line Aerobatics .
Combat wings built with PVA in winter in a week , were best not flown that weekend , tickly in damp conditions , as things wernt quite set .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2023, 07:25:44 PM »
Wong Button. oops . mayaswell put thion seeing Im ere .

http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/?page_id=2286 Classic B Team Race Fuels

vaugely relevant .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 07:27:07 PM »
Frank is awesome!

Indeed - anything he says, you ought to listen to very carefully!

Brett

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2023, 08:04:53 AM »
As addendum to my remarks from earlier;   I found there can be vast differences between oils.  I had been unhappy with the red synthetic ( Technoplate) staining the underside of my airplanes which most happen to have white bellies.  I found a clear synthetic alternative to use.  We are just beginning to get flyable weather here and I had my engines rebuilt over the winter.  While breaking them in one by one I noticed they seemed to run a bit rough at times and didn't hold a setting quite like I would expect them to.  I was using the general formula fuel I have for at least a decade- 10% nitro, 23% oil; 50/50 castor/synthetic only with the clear oil.  Once in the air with the first engine I'd get a sense it was fouling in certain maneuvers and nearly quit once.  I thought it could be the engine was still a little new.  BUT I decided to try backing off the oil some and see what happened.  I mixed two gallons,  both 7 1/2% nitro since I had an abundance of power in this cooler air,  20% 50/50 oil-one with clear oil and one with the dreaded red oil.
I flew the one with clear oil first.  I had launched the airplane before at 8300 for this prop so that's what I did.  It ran a LITTLE smoother at 5.5 lap time but could hear it still load up some in between manuevers in level laps.  It never broke into a two cycle-didn't really need to.  Then I tried the the fuel with the Technoplate on the next run.  I had to run the needle in about 3/4 turn to find my 8300 rpm again.  Laps times 5.3.  The run was perfectly smooth throughout with no hint of a stumble and still had a good smoke trail and only broke into a two cycle when it quit.  Obviously the clear oil is thicker and really changed the way the engine ran.  If I were to use it either as a mix or purely as a synthetic fuel I can see I'd be wanting to back the content way down to at least 18% as a starting point and may need to go lower.   There is a difference in the oils to be sure.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2023, 10:02:24 AM »
So what is your clear oil, Dave, which brand? L

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2023, 10:40:49 AM »
Lauri it's the brand FHS Red Max makes/supplies.  M62 or something like that.  I don't think the oil is bad at all-just thicker and adjustments may need to be made to use it.  I sort of think it's the old Ucon 6200 formula or similar.

Dave
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here