Blank

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:27:40 PM by Air Master »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Tongue Muffler Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 04:45:21 PM »
   I think the more holes, the better. I would drill at least three rows of holes. Make them the size of a tap drill for a 4-40 tap, which is #43 I think?? If you feel the need to restrict the exhaust some, you can tape several holes and install  short 4-40 screws. You can even just tap one row of them while you are making it and be ready for than. I like the exhaust as free flowing as possible. You won't notice any extra noise. Next time I need to experiment with this I might try drill the holes in the very end so the majority of the exhaust goes straight out from the stack and then right out of the holes. I have stashed somewhere a tongue muffler made from Dubro exhaust stack material. A plate was made to cover the end and held in place with two 4-40 screws. You could shim the plate out further for less back pressure. I remember it working pretty well.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
My understanding and I am a novice, is the exhaust holes should equal the exhaust area on the engine.

But, Dan's suggestion is excellent. Drill and tap more than you need and if need be put in a screws to block some off.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 07:50:12 PM »
And the Du-Bro stack Dan mentions makes a great starting point for your machining, as Dan points out.  Consider using that over bar stock depending on your project timeline / costs.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 02:31:36 PM »
Most, if not all, commercial "tube mufflers" which end in a "stinger" have an exhaust area roughly 1/2 the area of the exhaust port.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
   Which way do the screws go? Into threaded holes in the engine, or go into the back of the engine and thread into the muffler? If it is the latter, make the muffler full width so you can make make as big a chamber as possible. On the ling ne in the picture, you can put 4 rows of holes if you need to . You can always plug them with JB-weld if you don't want to tap the holes. And engine HAS to exhaust if it is going to intake air. If you restrict the exhaust too much, you won't intake much fuel and air mixture. It's the "banana in the tail pipe" syndrome!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

PS. If you can find the right tubing, and know some one with a TIG welder  and some skill with it, you can make a tube muffler using what you have as the basis.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 03:48:40 PM »
Hello Gentlemen, 

I am making my own tongue muffler for a Enya 35.   I need to know how many and what eize holes do I drill for the outlet?  I am going to use it for a stunt application.

Thank you.
Always pondered that you used an exhaust extension as your start point and end plated that, then you could very simply shim the plate away the extension for any sized outlet you wished.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 05:50:41 PM »
Guess I’m blind but only see 6 holes. Doesn’t look like enough outlet area.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 06:12:03 PM »
Guess I’m blind but only see 6 holes. Doesn’t look like enough outlet area.
The other 3 holes are two for mounting and one for inlet. :##
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 10:07:34 PM »
Looks good!👍 I’ve made (and ruined a few in the attempt) several tongue mufflers. They’re not as easy as they look. Not much material there to hold onto!
Chris

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 10:47:55 PM »
   Some where in my collection of stuff is a Windy tongue muffler that had a slot on top and bottom instead of holes. That may be a worthy experiment the next time you want to make one. Put it as close to the end as possible, and make the slot at a 45 degree angle and about 3/32" wide.

I remember one Jim Lee made for a SIG Mustang years ago that had the basis of what you have before you drill holes. Instead of the drilled holes, imagine short lengths of aluminum tubing press in and epoxied in place with JB-weld!! It sounded AWESOME!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »
Okay, Chris.  Now it has 12 holes.

I don't know anything about Enya 35s but that still seems like it needs more holes. I would normally use 16 *actual* exhaust holes, drilled tap size for a 4-40 thread, and then thread about half of them. I definitely suggest starting out with too much outlet, and then thread in 4-40x1/4 screws to block some of them off, if you think it needs to be reduced.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 07:33:08 AM »
Brett,  The holes are #43 the tap drill size for a 4-40 screw.  That is also, the size on the Double Star 50 muffler.  (see pics)

The only thing I know to do is test the engine with a stock (bulky) Enya muffler and switch to the tongue muffler and see what affect that has.

I don't have a venturi yet.  I have a Enya 35 NIB that came with 2 venturis and 2 heads.  I took the stunt venturi and a nylon spacer to the machine shop to see if they can turn down the spacer to match the Enya aluminum venturi.   

I think I am going to spend more time working with metal, as it is something I have not done and it is fun.  (unless you ruin your work)  In fact I am thinking of buying a micro lathe so I can make my own venturi.  (If, of course, I am able.)

The best way to learn something is to do it! The one big thing I miss in retirement is I lost my access to machine shop equipment. I used to make a lot f my one mufflers and stuff for  model airplanes and a lot of parts and repairs for my vintage dirt bike hobby. I have a 10" lathe that I need to get back into operation and next on my wish list is a bench top mill. Just don't have the room right now but I'm slowly working on it. I did splurge and buy my own TIG welding machine as they have come a long way in technology and price.. With some more practice you should gain enough skill to make most of the stuff you will want or need. It's very satisfying and convenient.
  Type at you later,

Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 10:23:31 AM »
[quote

I searched and could not find a stock Enya muffler.  I would have bet I had one.   (Does getting old mean you forget what mufflers you have?)

I'm going to make more now, because when I was looking for the muffler, I found 2 more 5224s I forgot I had.  (Now this is when a memory lapse is good, right?)

Thank you again to everyone for helping.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's like Christmas every day some times if you haven't been through stuff in along while!!
    Type at you later
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here