News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tongue Muffler and Needle Valve Setting  (Read 727 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tongue Muffler and Needle Valve Setting
« on: May 26, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »
Recently I installed a tongue muffler on an LA 40.  When I went to start it, I had to open the needle two turns - Smith NVA - to achieve an approximate same run as before with the barrel muffler.  Is this common for the changeover from barrel mufflers to tongue mufflers?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tongue Muffler and Needle Valve Setting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »
   Yes. two full turns sounds a bit much, though. Tongue mufflers are more restrictive. If the engine can't exhale, it can't inhale as much. You might want to drill some more holes in the tongue muffler. There have been several threads about this same subject lately.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tongue Muffler and Needle Valve Setting
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 06:16:59 PM »
Study Randy's pinned posts at the top of this forum. He 'splains how drilling out the muffler makes the engine suck more air through the venturi. They're pumps, after all, and less backpressure increases the pumping efficiency. Your tongue muffler increased the backpressure and reduced the pumping efficiency quite a lot...assuming that you didn't also fiddle with anything else, like remove the venturi and/or spraybar, install another head gasket, or loosen the backplate screws and create a leak. Probably could add a few other things that would act similarly, like clogged fuel filter, kinked fuel hose, etc.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here