News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrust vs Stooge...Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong place.  (Read 1244 times)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Gentlemen, I could use some of your knowledge and experience building a stooge. I generally fly over concrete, but will move to grass for the larger planes.

Question follows the description below.

Largest planes:
I have a few larger planes (thanks to FredV4), a UKEY .35, and two Gotcha-Streaks I doubt I'll ever get above 48" WS with engines no bigger than a Fox .35, and Magnums, Norvels, and an older OS no bigger than .25. Everything else is .15 down to .049.

Weight plates for stooge:
Plates of 1/4" steel, cut into 7.5"x12" at 6 lbs each.

Stooge basic construction:
A box frame of angle-iron, such that the plates drop in to provide "suitable/tune-ble ballast." My arm/shoulder gets worn out moving a cinder block to the launch area. The last plate in the Stooge layer-cake will most likely be 3/4" plywood to support a hinged release operated by a garage door remote. The "release" actuator is a car door solenoid, and connected to the spring-loaded release pin via a weed eater throttle cable.

I bet 6 lbs (plus frame/plywood) will hold a 1/2A plane...but just how heavy does the stooge need to be to retain the largest planes in my fleet?

I'm all ears today.

Thanks much, Gents!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thrust vs Stooge...Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong place.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »
   I like the idea of adding weight and taking it off. I think 3 or 4 o those plates should cover everything. Put a layer of some grippy rubber on the bottom of your stooge to add a friction factor if flyting on pavement. Just 4 of those rubber pads or feet you can get at the hardware store can make a big difference. Play with it using a fish scale to supplement the thrust of a model and see how much pull it takes to move it. Then do the same with your biggest model and engine and see how much pull it generates. I think you are on the right track.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »
...but just how heavy does the stooge need to be to retain the largest planes in my fleet?

Several years ago a friend who is a steel fabricator had some steel laying around. I drew up a plan and he did all the cutting, drilling, welding and grinding for me. I have used this stooge on all my planes ranging from .25 to .61 size engines on grass, asphalt and concrete surfaces with no issues (yet). This may be an "overkill" for a stooge but it sure works nicely!  :)

The plunger assembly is quite simple and is made up of 3/32" piano wire with a couple of lightweight springs and some brass washers.

The 1/8" thick neoprene on the bottom of the steel plate was attached using 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive. This prevents the stooge from sliding on concrete or asphalt surfaces. The two 5/16 holes near the corner of the plate are for a 1/4" x 10" spike. This stooge weights 24 lbs. and I haven't had a need to use these spikes. At 24 lbs. I don't think it will go anywhere.

For the trigger rope I use a florescent green or pink (for visibility) 5/32 in. x 75 ft. Polypropylene Diamond Braid Rope with Winder available at Home Depot. I attached a small quick snap hook on the end that connects to the plunger.

All my planes have a tail wheel with a stooge hook wired and soldered to the tail wheel wire just above the tail wheel and extends about an inch behind the tail wheel.

Attached are a couple of photos of my stooge and a PDF file of the plan.

Enjoy,
Dennis

p.s. If I have my choice, I prefer a two-legged stooge in place of the steel one.   LL~

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 08:27:35 AM »
Mr. Dennis,
Curiosity: why did you cut the tail slot so far back on the stooge?

It took me a second to work out a "two-legged" stooge...Face-Palm!
If I had a two-legged stooge, I wouldn't need the three-legged movie/picture taker. I really need a local flying buddy.

I'll drive on with my plan since it seems I am on the right track.

Thanks much for your input, gentlemen!

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »
Curiosity: why did you cut the tail slot so far back on the stooge?

No reason that I can think of. The cut of the tail slot could be shorter if desired.

Dennis

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:15 AM »
I would not have a radio operated stooge. Too many stray signals floating around.

Motorman 8)

Not so true these days. If this were a problem, no one's cars would stay locked, garage doors would always be running up and down, and alarms going off all over the place. It would sure be something that I tested a lot at my flying site, but would eventually learn to trust it. The free flight guys use a system to on demand trip dethermalizers and they never have any problems.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 11:16:43 AM »
This is one of those 315 mHz spread spectrum all-in-one units. It encompasses the radio and a switching module In a plastic cube. The module is programmable for momentary on/off, costant on/off, and toggled on/off. I do plan to benchtest it for at least a few minutes before hooking a plane to it.

At least that is how it was advertised...the spread-spectrum/binding of transmitter/reciever is what keeps this from releasing without my button-push.
I do plan on rigging the release so if I do have problems, I can disconnect the radio/release unit and go straight string-pull.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here